Calderwood signs Wigan Deal!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
chris_wild182

Re: Calderwood signs Wigan...

Post by chris_wild182 »

i think calderwood would be a good asset for wigan they seem to be lackin vava voom in attack and we need a winger who is capable of scoring try's!!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

Doug Stand posted:
pedro posted:
He has pace to burn which we are lacking badly. His defence is a good as Carneys and he is taller so wont get outjumped all the time like Carney.

On the whole he is a totally commited player but we still need a centre for him as someone stated before about Offiah. He did nothing till Gene Miles signed and set him away!
I'm sure Widnes fans would disagree with you there... and to be honest I do as well, but I know what you are saying. Gene Miles was one of the best centres to ever play at Wigan and Offiah benefited from having him there. That being said Wigan would still have won everything without Miles at the time...which is kind of my point. It's not just down to the centre. Wigan had much better forwards and halves back then which enabled the hard yeardage to be gained and the ball to be thrown out.
Doug Stand posted:
pedro posted:
He has pace to burn which we are lacking badly. His defence is a good as Carneys and he is taller so wont get outjumped all the time like Carney.

On the whole he is a totally commited player but we still need a centre for him as someone stated before about Offiah. He did nothing till Gene Miles signed and set him away!
I'm sure Widnes fans would disagree with you there... and to be honest I do as well, but I know what you are saying. Gene Miles was one of the best centres to ever play at Wigan and Offiah benefited from having him there. That being said Wigan would still have won everything without Miles at the time...which is kind of my point. It's not just down to the centre. Wigan had much better forwards and halves back then which enabled the hard yeardage to be gained and the ball to be thrown out.
I know what you are saying but a winger is useless without a centre. We have probably the 2 best in super league and look where we are. Who was Offiahs centre at Widness? Was he an international too? You need them. The only time our boys get the ball is from dummy half 10 yards from our line running at the forwards, they are wasted and it frustrates the life out of me.

pedro

Post by pedro »

Doug Stand posted:
pedro posted:
I know what you are saying but a winger is useless without a centre. We have probably the 2 best in super league and look where we are. Who was Offiahs centre at Widness? Was he an international too? You need them. The only time our boys get the ball is from dummy half 10 yards from our line running at the forwards, they are wasted and it frustrates the life out of me.
Well that's just it a winger needs to be better than just relying on the centre...i.e Henderson Gill, Jason Robinson, John Ferguson, Offiah to some extent. You are right though the wingers are doing more work than is expected. Against Warrington Dallas was infiedl constantly.

I think Offiah's centre was Andy Courier at Widnes. not sure if Tate played there or just full back. I thought Courier was a girl and vastly overrated.
He was a girl cos he was from Leigh...

In most occasions though the winger does need the centre you have to agree as open play will normally come from them. Think Davies palyed there for a year with him and so did Devereaux for Offiahs last season before reverting back to the wing. Cant be sure though as thinking about it is giving me a headache.

My argument still stands that we need a class passing centre if we have pace. Otherwise he will just be used for chasing back their break aways!
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

He was a girl cos he was from Leigh...
The player from Leigh was Darren Wright. I think he was Offiah's centre. And I wouldn't call him a girl either - he goes to the same gym as me and he is huge!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

All the Leithers are girls I should know I palyed for them :wink:
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

pedro posted:
All the Leithers are girls I should know I palyed for them :wink:
Then, since you presumably shared the bath/showers too, I'll have to take your word for it!! :roll:
pedro

Post by pedro »

:blush:

yep if you ask em im the small one!