Wayne Godwin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan-warrior

Wayne Godwin

Post by nathan-warrior »

Does anybody else think that he is an excellent prospect. Millward always has him on bench. I think with the recent form of our halfbacks he should give godwin a try at standoff.
Or he should start at hooker as Terry isnt at his prime. I have noticed as soon as Godwin comes on all the game for Wigan lights up.
Does anybody esle agree tih this
mrs_carney

Re: Wayne Godwin

Post by mrs_carney »

Theres no point playing Godwin at 6 because hes a hooker, we dont want even more players playing out of position. Terry has been playing injured for at least a month now and i think he's playing some of his best rugby, these past couple of weeks he has been anyway.
Millward always has him on bench.
Not true he started against warrington and te one before that, so that millward could bring in impact players off the bench and i think this worked well.

I have noticed as soon as Godwin comes on all the game for Wigan lights up.
Thats because he speeds up play the ball and runs from dummy half and makes the game quicker all over, whereas terry makes impact godwin makes speed.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
nathan-warrior

Post by nathan-warrior »

i still think we would do a lot better with godwin at hooker as i disagree and think terry isnt playing well at all
last year he was ace scoring loads aswell this year he just looks ordinary
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Why compare him to last year??
Compared to last year the only players who are playing that well are danny tickle and brett dallas.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Godwin is good coming off the bench when defences are tyring a little, alot of teams do it now and it does work well.
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

For the first time ever we agree Dougstand! I'm not that 'giddy' about him myself.Terry Newton is the best hooker in this country and when Terry plays well Wigan plays well.
pedro

Post by pedro »

nathan-warrior posted:
i still think we would do a lot better with godwin at hooker as i disagree and think terry isnt playing well at all
last year he was ace scoring loads aswell this year he just looks ordinary
Im scared of saying this...

I dont think he has it from the start I have said this before. Both the Leigh game and Warrington game when Newton came on the game changed. He makes it happen in the middle and also toughens up the middle. MAybe the latter is due to Newtons size. As for the first its like Robinson last year. He never had a good game when he started it all came from when the game was set up by Lam and I feel the the same for Godwin as he comes on when Newton has set up the game and the defense has tired a little. if he is on less than 20k a year then absolutley great. If not I wonder if he will be long term.

Please be gentle but I feel strongly on this as MrsC hammered me before for a similar comment :blush:
HappyHooker

Post by HappyHooker »

Millward does like to play with two hookers. Remember our GB match vs aussies on sky, when he was calling for this, its part of the way he likes to play the game.

Both terry and wayne are fine hookers, but add different things to the team. IMO Terry on top form is the better hooker. I would even say Terry on TOP form is the best hooker in Britain, just KC for S***** has had a better team and run of form. Wagga though, is a handful in his own right, and we certainly loose nothing in defense. That guy has to be one of the best pound for pound tacklers ive seen in while.

Both good. Come the tri-nations I feel there are a lot of good British hookers out there - providing everyone is fit this area will be a strength
Being a warrior is not just a past-time; it's a choice of life.
pedro

Post by pedro »

I agree.

But he is no where near as good as Newton. The only thing he has on him is pace which he is blessed with. He cant set up a game like Terry or have the same influence. Then again it is his first season and he will learn from another great hooker and coach....BRING ON NEXT YEAR!!!!

chris_wild182

Post by chris_wild182 »

[quote]pedro posted:
I agree.

But he is no where near as good as Newton. The only thing he has on him is pace which he is blessed with. He cant set up a game like Terry or have the same influence. Then again it is his first season and he will learn from another great hooker and coach....BRING ON NEXT YEAR!!!!

i think newton and wagga work well together but which 1 do you start with???

:conf: