Brian Carney

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mrs_carney

Re: Brian Carney

Post by mrs_carney »

pedro posted:
No he is devaluing the club by leaving in a time of turmoil and as an experienced player and country rep he is looked up to by the youngsters and fans so what kind of message is he sending out?
That he has ambitions like the rest of us and that he'll do anything to achieve them. Do you think its easy for a guy to hitch up his life and move to the other side of the world on his own where he'll know a handful of people to begin with.
People worshipped the ground he walked on a couple of seasons ago. Ok hes not been at his best this season or last, due to injuries he cannot help these and the scans will show up a problem so its not like hes not actually injured and is just sat there doing nothing. Then again there are only a few players who can put their hand up and say they are playing as well as last year. Carney has been at the club 5 years and i feel sorry for how badly he has been plagued with injuries these past two seasons, but i cant wait for him to be back on the field until the end of the season. Those people that boo him are just mindless, thinking he's doing this because times are hard; when he has never hid the fact he wants to play in australia. I knew he'd go early from his contract, its been obvious for months that he would go, but going to a foreign country and taking about a 40k paycut has got to be admired. I for one will be watching him over there to see how hes doing and will wish him all the best in what he does.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

if you ask me the only person who should be complaining is mrs carney as her name will be out of date. lol.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

So's mrslams, but we're going for the vintage names. At least he still plays rugby unlike adrian.....
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

:with:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mrs_carney posted:
pedro posted:
No he is devaluing the club by leaving in a time of turmoil and as an experienced player and country rep he is looked up to by the youngsters and fans so what kind of message is he sending out?
That he has ambitions like the rest of us and that he'll do anything to achieve them.
You are right he will do anything to acheive them including behave in an appallingly unprofessional way.

Do you have a job?

If so do you not think you actully owe your employer something for the wages they pay you?

He signed a fixed term deal for a lot of money. The repayment was to play for the length of the deal. It is simple stuff and to do otherwise is not professional and not how 99% of Rl players are behaving e.g. Calderwood and Richards.
Do you think its easy for a guy to hitch up his life and move to the other side of the world on his own where he'll know a handful of people to begin with.
Oh my heart bleeds. He is a high profile RL player who will not be short of friends. He has been over there already staying with his mates in Newcastle.

He is doing this because he wants to not because he is forced to and to suggest this is some big deal him moving his life out there is plain daft.
People worshipped the ground he walked on a couple of seasons ago. Ok hes not been at his best this season or last, due to injuries he cannot help these and the scans will show up a problem so its not like hes not actually injured and is just sat there doing nothing. Then again there are only a few players who can put their hand up and say they are playing as well as last year.
Why is any of that relevant? It is nothing to do with his injury or form except of course the club has looked after him very well while injured and he rapays them by asking to go early!
Carney has been at the club 5 years and i feel sorry for how badly he has been plagued with injuries these past two seasons, but i cant wait for him to be back on the field until the end of the season. Those people that boo him are just mindless, thinking he's doing this because times are hard; when he has never hid the fact he wants to play in australia.
So what? His form is such that if any of the other wingers were fit I'd play them so they can get a bit if SL experience under their belt.
I knew he'd go early from his contract, its been obvious for months that he would go, but going to a foreign country and taking about a 40k paycut has got to be admired.
What complete and utter rubbish Sorry but it is. There is nothing admirable about walking out on commitments freely entered into when you have your dream lined up 12 months down the line anyway.

Oh, and going to Australia is no big deal. I have travelled around the place and it is going to be no culture shock for him!

He is also going to play for another club for a season. Not Gold Coast where his future actually does lie.

Well it does if he doesn't try and wangle his way out of that deal so he can stay and play with his mates in Newcastle.

I would not trust Carney to honour a contract at all so I would not be surprised if in 12 months time he is in the press again saying how is heart is in Newcastle, blah, blah.
I for one will be watching him over there to see how hes doing and will wish him all the best in what he does.
Well I certainly won't. He doesn't deserve a second thought given his behaviour and what he has said to the press.

Dave
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Whilst I agree with DaveO's sentiments about him being unprofessional unfortunately that is the way the world is these days, especially in sport. Some people take what they can when it's offered and then as soon as something better comes along forget who it was that gave them the kickstart. There's a lot of drive for personal goals but very little repayment of loyalty goes on, quite sad really.

I do think it is a bit uncalled for that some people are saying Carney wasn't really any good and that he doesn't care about how Wigan do. His time at Wigan now is still a reflection of the player he is, his future is sorted now so he has less distractions from the game. Millward was in the media last week saying how Radlinskis mood and outlook totally changed for the better after he had decided to sign an extended Wigan contract, perhaps Carney will perform better now his future is set it stone?!?

I don't share your very cynical implication Nitsua that he doesn't want to play so he's faking injury. I can't see him doing that.

As for those who have said Carney was not that good a player and we were best getting rid take a look back over his Wigan career. He was relatively new to the sport when he came, he gradually got better and better and had a stormer towards the end of 2003. Last season had a terrible injury but played well in the Tri-Nations. This season, again he has suffered badly with injuries and not played well, this combined with not knowing what his future held. He is a class player else no-one would want to sign him!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:
Whilst I agree with DaveO's sentiments about him being unprofessional unfortunately that is the way the world is these days, especially in sport. Some people take what they can when it's offered and then as soon as something better comes along forget who it was that gave them the kickstart. There's a lot of drive for personal goals but very little repayment of loyalty goes on, quite sad really.
This is very true. I was listening to something on the radio at lunch time about rights and responsibility.

The thrust was people know their rights and will not hesitiate to insist they ar eupheld. But at the same time they will shirk the responsibilities that ultimately earns them the rights they enjoy.

I think there is a parallel here with Carney. He has enjoyed fame and fortune at Wigan but given what he has said in the press and now done by quitting ealry he has shirked the responsibilty side of it.

It is all one way traffic and reading some responses on here I get the impression some people are also only looking at it from the players point of view.

It is all about attitude and Carney's is poor.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doug Stand posted:
He has publicly stated that Wigan is his club,
I thought this was incredably patronising given what else he has said in the press. As such I simply don't believe him!

As to the Irish question I'll leave nitsua to take that up with you but in case you did not know nitsua lives in Northern Ireland.

Dave