Wigan Warriors' George Williams in fresh link with NRL - report

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wigan Warriors' George Williams in fresh link with NRL - report

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Just because the George to NRL was in yesterday's trade press doesn't mean the club hasn't known about it for some time.
Given that why shouldn't IL & Rads have been on the case for some time.
It's a given they know who's OOC end of 2019 in the NRL and SL.
That's why I feel the club will now have been on the case for some considerable time.
I think you give IL and Rads far too much credit. I think they are out of their depth when it comes to signings.

Unless a player falls into their lap such as Hardaker I don’t think they know where to look and I have no faith even if they know who is OOC in the NRL they have been doing anything about it.

They have missed out on every decent half back that has been available when it was obvious we needed a 7 and the best they could come up with was Sammut. They make their own jobs harder by doing things like giving Powell a three year deal tying up salary cap money.

If their past form on signings is anything to go by it will be another cheap option or someone at the end of their career.

When IL first came we made some curious signings like Mathers and Pryce and he got away with it at the time as supposedly we had little room on the cap. They were thought worth a punt and were cheap but also stop gaps.

Well he’s been here a long time now and we are still making such stop gap signings because we have little room on the cap.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

medlocke wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:39 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 pm Giz will sort out Williams problems, he will select a pack of forwards that run straight and hard and get us into attacking positions. The whole of our pack think they have the talent to play in the halves at the moment.
Is Giz now signing for an NRL club?
You tell me.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 pm Giz will sort out Williams problems, he will select a pack of forwards that run straight and hard and get us into attacking positions. The whole of our pack think they have the talent to play in the halves at the moment.
I thought it was Lam who would sort out his problems,the guys played 150 games,he’s a veteran not some kid to be moulded that ship has sailed no matter who the coach is,what you see is what you get with him,for good or bad.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:03 pm Dont be suprised if he makes his trade at fullback in the NRL........ Ive always thought that position would suite his game
Who? Williams?

If so, you must be joking? Do you even watch and understand Rugby?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

If it is as simple as that, why do all teams not employ the tactic of "run straight and hard to get the team into an attacking position."

Its because running straight and hard is easy to defend as it is just one up rugby.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Just to challenge the received wisdom that Williams is playing badly - any half back will look poor when his forwards are being beaten. On the other hand, a half-decent half back will look good behind a dominant pack.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Williams for me hasn't got the ability to think clearly and exsicute whatever game plan we have.
It all looks like off the cuff blind panic and if in doubt kick it.
shaunedwardsfanclub

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:35 pm
If it is as simple as that, why do all teams not employ the tactic of "run straight and hard to get the team into an attacking position."

Its because running straight and hard is easy to defend as it is just one up rugby.
Well the alternative is not working. Listen to Giz’s interview and you will see what I mean. By the way it worked for the Roosters last season.
shaunedwardsfanclub

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 am
I thought it was Lam who would sort out his problems,the guys played 150 games,he’s a veteran not some kid to be moulded that ship has sailed no matter who the coach is,what you see is what you get with him,for good or bad.
Well to date he hasn’t. You are missing my point, we need some forwards that dominate the opposition and give our backs some room to play in. Waney recognised our limitations and got our forwards to hit the deck and gain a quick play the ball. This season they are playing like headless chickens! If you think he is so bad check his stats and then compare the stats of our forwards with other packs.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:35 pm
understand rugby????? Ive probably forgot more about it than you will ever know....... god forbid a player changing positions and bettering himself........ edwards, bell, hanley, clarke, byrne, lydon, tomkins, oloughlin( too name but a few) , all changed there original positions and did better....... oh but i dont know about rugby lol

IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE