London game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: London game

Post by Caboosegg »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:24 pm

I noticed that Lam was particularly emphasising Escare's mistakes in his post match comments - saying that Morgan's error when we were ahead was to blame for the team falling apart (not his words but that's pretty much what happened). I don't think I've ever heard a coach put so much emphasis on one error when there was about 60 more minutes of that game in which all the team needed to do was play as well as they've proven they can. Doubt we'll see Escare in the side for a while.
Played out of position in his first game...
Lam needs to accept blame, i would have thought Morgan is the exact type of player an attacking side needs. Id Rather Lam go than morgan at the moment. Morgan had earned his shirt and proved what he can do.

Comments about his attitude in training
Mentioning that he knows hes a fan fav but he has no position for him... very much like the Charnley and Wane situation.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

EagleEyePie wrote:Probably worth bearing in mind that today we had Manfredi, Burgess/Marshall, Flower, Greenwood, Hamlin and Farrell missing from our strongest side

When you throw in the likes of Clubb, Navarrete, Tautai and Isa starting the season in poor form but not having to really fight for their place in the side it's all a bit reminiscent of our terrible period in 2017. You need a top pack to be a top side and we're looking very weak in that department.
So why when Clubb, Navearrete, Tautai and ISA are in poor form and we have others out due to injury do you as coach make matters worse by dropping the one prop showing any form i.e. Flower?

The plastic pitch is no excuse. When you have changes forced on you, you don’t make matters worse by resting the best remaining forward.
noticed that Lam was particularly emphasising Escare's mistakes in his post match comments - saying that Morgan's error when we were ahead was to blame for the team falling apart (not his words but that's pretty much what happened). I don't think I've ever heard a coach put so much emphasis on one error when there was about 60 more minutes of that game in which all the team needed to do was play as well as they've proven they can. Doubt we'll see Escare in the side for a while.
Lam needs to blame himself for his selection. Is Escare a better winger than Marshal? No, so when the rest of the side is disrupted due to injury this is not the time to give someone a game. It should have been “Tough luck Morgan, injuries dictate I go with my strongest team”.

There are often comments about the players disrespecting the opposition but Lam did that today by carrying on with unforced changes to an injury hit side.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

To me to play Escare for playing Him’s sake Lam has been listening to the baying mob chanting Escare in..because I can’t fathom a single reason why he was on the wing today
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Highlights are on sky.

the Escare error is nothing at all Davis has made that exact error so many times (slightly over run)

Its amazing how thats being blamed yet Tautai seems to be okay after last week
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:To me to play Escare for playing Him’s sake Lam has been listening to the baying mob chanting Escare in..because I can’t fathom a single reason why he was on the wing today
Agree and me either. Stupid selection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

DaveO wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:52 pm When you throw in the likes of Clubb, Navarrete, Tautai and Isa starting the season in poor form but not having to really fight for their place in the side it's all a bit reminiscent of our terrible period in 2017. You need a top pack to be a top side and we're looking very weak in that department.

So why when Clubb, Navearrete, Tautai and ISA are in poor form and we have others out due to injury do you as coach make matters worse by dropping the one prop showing any form i.e. Flower?

The plastic pitch is no excuse. When you have changes forced on you, you don’t make matters worse by resting the best remaining forward.

Lam needs to blame himself for his selection. Is Escare a better winger than Marshal? No, so when the rest of the side is disrupted due to injury this is not the time to give someone a game. It should have been “Tough luck Morgan, injuries dictate I go with my strongest team”.

There are often comments about the players disrespecting the opposition but Lam did that today by carrying on with unforced changes to an injury hit side.
I'm not too critical of Lam for resting Flower. Not risking players on artificial pitches is something that happened all the time under Wane. We used to play a weakened side at Widnes pretty much every time. I would assume that Lam wouldn't have much experience when it comes to professional games on an artificial pitch so the suggestion was probably made by John Winder or the medical team. I'm also not sure what the extent of Flower's injury against Hull was. If he was only 70 or 80% fit (I know it can be daft to quantify fitness in terms of a percentage) it's not worth the risk. Flower has played through injuries countless times and it's not something that should be encouraged. So for me, it was better to be safe than sorry.

Marshall missed out through illness, so it wasn't a case of resting him. What puzzles me is that Morgan is the only player singled out for criticism by Lam. Yes he made an unforced error and a few plays later we conceded a try, but his unforced error isn't any worse than the errors that led to the try. Or the other unforced errors other players made. And his dropped pass with the line begging was arguably down to Williams throwing a lofted pass on a windy day. It's no surprise Escare ended up over-running it. Why he didn't throw it hard and fast or play it through the hands I don't know.
doc

Post by doc »

According to Craig Mullen on GMR he (Mullen) was drafted into the 19 man squad when Marshall pulled out due to illness. Escare was thus put on the wing, a position he played in a few times for the Dragons if I remember correctly. Still doesn't make up for a shambolic performance and continuing powder puff defence.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

EagleEyePie wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:52 pm When you throw in the likes of Clubb, Navarrete, Tautai and Isa starting the season in poor form but not having to really fight for their place in the side it's all a bit reminiscent of our terrible period in 2017. You need a top pack to be a top side and we're looking very weak in that department.

I'm not too critical of Lam for resting Flower. Not risking players on artificial pitches is something that happened all the time under Wane. We used to play a weakened side at Widnes pretty much every time.
And it backfired pretty much every time then as well. The point here is though we already had a weakened side and Lam chose to make it even weaker in the area we had injuries. Idiotic.

In any case this idea it’s risking players on plastic is bollocks in my view. I have never agreed with it. If it’s not safe for one player it’s not safe for them all. It’s a lame excuse IM
I would assume that Lam wouldn't have much experience when it comes to professional games on an artificial pitch so the suggestion was probably made by John Winder or the medical team. I'm also not sure what the extent of Flower's injury against Hull was. If he was only 70 or 80% fit (I know it can be daft to quantify fitness in terms of a percentage) it's not worth the risk. Flower has played through injuries countless times and it's not something that should be encouraged. So for me, it was better to be safe than sorry.
You just made all that up so you could agree with yourself in the last sentence. You have no idea why he did it and who did or didn’t have any input. All we do know is we were three forwards down before Lam decided to make it four and the reason given was the plastic pitch not injury.
Marshall missed out through illness, so it wasn't a case of resting him. What puzzles me is that Morgan is the only player singled out for criticism by Lam. Yes he made an unforced error and a few plays later we conceded a try, but his unforced error isn't any worse than the errors that led to the try. Or the other unforced errors other players made. And his dropped pass with the line begging was arguably down to Williams throwing a lofted pass on a windy day. It's no surprise Escare ended up over-running it. Why he didn't throw it hard and fast or play it through the hands I don't know.
I didn’t know Marshall was ill and it is probably unfair of Lam to put such blame on Escare but it begs the question if Marshall was fit, where was Lam going to play Escare? He clearly was intending to so unless he was going to copy Wane with the “switcheroo” I have no idea where he fits in.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

It's like the day after the Brexit vote again, fans losing their minds and going over the top, Jesus, We are only 4 games in, anybody would think we where 1 for 12 ffs, If we are still in this situation after 10 then we need to panic
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

We should panic, we are a shambles.