Re: WE NEED ROONEY

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pie eaters posted:
In my opinion i think that moran should stay as scrum half but we definently need a new stand off even though Orr played well for us friday night.
Many people seem to have the opposite view, and see more in Orr than they do in Moran. Has Moran consistently played any better than Orr, or is the truth more that they've both been pretty similar in standards below what most people (probably including themselves) expect?

Why do we "definitely" need a new stand-off?
And i think rooney needs to be the replacement anybody got any views?
Would he want to come to Wigan? Wakefield have much better form than us at the moment, and coming to Wigan might seem like a downgrade given what's gone on this year. He'd go from being one of the big stars in his own team to being one of many at Wigan, so might depend also on his ego. Not to mention that he'll be one of the best paid players at Wakey.

I'll leave the inevitable comments about getting soccer-chav Rooney from Manchester United to others...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I was one of those that was always disappointed in Orr, especially last season. He's come on in leaps and bounds lately, looks like he wants to be there now. I just hope his injury doesn't get any worse through playing when not 100 % fit, the week off will do him good.

As for next season I'd sooner keep him than bringing in Rooney or anyone else. We've no quota space available to begin with and with how he's been playing lately he'll be even better with a decent set of forwards splitting the defence and runners either side of Orr to give him some options. When the defensive line has doubts in its mind as to where the balls going and stands off a yard it gives Orr the chance to show off his fancy footwork that we saw when he was at Cas.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Rooney can't get a starting place at Wakefield. I believe he has started from the bench for the last few games. If that's an indication of his quality I'd rather stick with what we have (Doug, I can't believe what I am saying, either!).
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pie eaters posted:
Jamie rooney is english so he would not count on the overseas quota
But we're also limited in how many Yorkshire people are allowed into the county. It's the Overt'hills Quota, not the Overseas Quota where we have a problem.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

We've always had space for over the hill players!!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Rooney can't get a starting place at Wakefield. I believe he has started from the bench for the last few games. If that's an indication of his quality I'd rather stick with what we have (Doug, I can't believe what I am saying, either!).
Similary we've had Newton starting from the bench recently so I don't think we can really use the starting line-up as an indication as to who are the best player in the 'team.'
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Point is the top Aussie players are cant come over in their off season like they used to, so harping on about Brett Kenny or Steve Ella is a waste of time, it doesnt happen anymore, get over it.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I acutally think Rooney would fit in very well at Wigan - he's just bust his cruciate ligament, requires an operation and will be out for 6 months. :wink:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

ChrisA posted:
Point is the top Aussie players are cant come over in their off season like they used to, so harping on about Brett Kenny or Steve Ella is a waste of time, it doesnt happen anymore, get over it.
Well ChrisA, that sorts out Kenny and Ella. Now, the reason we can't have a top UK player (like Hanley) is.......?
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

robjoenz posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
Similary we've had Newton starting from the bench recently so I don't think we can really use the starting line-up as an indication as to who are the best player in the 'team.'
2 points of note here, Rob. Firstly, I thought Newton was playing with an injury, so the bench made sense (incidentally, a couple of weeks ago someone phoned into GMR criticising Newton and studio guest Paul Cullen revealed he has been playing with an injury for ages). Secondly, there are those on here who feel Godwin should start in any event as first choice hooker :sly: