Re: WHELAN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

for a man who doesnt care about rugby hes got us a nice stadium and saved us from going bust and provides money for the signings we make. Lately its looked like hes not interested as football go up, but we've always known hes football mad. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of Whelan, i dont agree with you saying we shouldnt be grateful to whelan and that he doesnt care at all about wigan. He is the one who got us ian millward, if he didnt care about us he'd of left us with denis betts and we'd have no good recruits for next season.

You could have written this on the one you started yesterday, you dont have to start a new topic everytime you want a rant.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Ron

Post by Ron »

Until you can read DW's mind I don't think anyone can say what is going on within him. He has got us out of a lot of trouble in the past and, as Mrs Carney says, we have always known his heart is in football and now his dream has come true. Wigan Athletic is in the premier league - well done to him. I only wish I had the money to realise my dreams, as does everyone else. Wigan RL will always come second with DW but at least he is there when he is needed. What makes you think anyone else will do as well as DW. At least he stays out of things, apparently, until we need him desperately. I think that is the right thing for him to do. If he was sticking his oar in every time something happens, then he would be criticised for that as well. As I said, until you can get into DW's mind you will never know!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

pie eaters posted:
it wasnt whelan what got him it probably took persuading from lindsey Lindsey is the one we should be thanking it isnt whelan what as gone out and said yeah lets buy calderwood or lets buy richards its lindsey what as gone to him and asked him to provide money with a lot of pressure
What planet are you from? It's millward thats said lets go out and buy richards and calderwood, as well as logan, and palaesina. And incidentally IM was got by whelan, when he found out about the situation at st helens when millward got sacked. Also Whelan has told IM there is money available should he want to buy anybody for wigan.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Our chairman only cares for wigan rugby :conf:
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pie eaters posted:
if somebody ese would of or would do by taking over the club it would mean is sole responibility would be Wigan rugby league instead of a football team like Wigan pathetic. Look back when we had all the success we had a owner who just wanted to take wigan to the top. Look at leeds or saints now they have chairmans that care only for rugby league
Why should we care where Whelan wants to spend his money? If he wants to open a giant bouncy castle as well it's not going to detract from his commitments to either the Latics or the Warriors. No venture is subservient to any other, and he's got more money than he knows what to do with so there's plenty to go around. The limits he can spend on WRLFC are imposed by the league, I'm sure if the limits weren't there you'd see even more investment, not that we've done badly at all. Whelan doesn't have to own the club, if he wasn't interested he'd be out of here.

When we were successful, we also nearly bankrupted ourselves thanks to the owners at the time. That's too high a price to pay, and despite Whelan putting money into the club we're also in the best financial state we've been in for a long time. The future, in that respect at least, is very good.

As for Leeds, isn't Gary Hetherington also involved in Leeds Tykes?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pie eaters posted:
Which do u think he cares more about wigan playin chelsea or us playin Salford a week tomorrow
He will be interested in both. When you've spent several million quid on a venture, you're not going to ignore it. As I say elsewhere, he doesn't need to own the club.

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
Ron

Post by Ron »

pie eaters posted:
if somebody ese would of or would do by taking over the club it would mean is sole responibility would be Wigan rugby league instead of a football team like Wigan pathetic. Look back when we had all the success we had a owner who just wanted to take wigan to the top. Look at leeds or saints now they have chairmans that care only for rugby league
Think about it - if someone else bought Wigan RL, what is there to stop DW throwing us out of the JJB. I understand that part of the deal when he got funding for the new stadium was that there was ground-sharing, but this agreement ended after (I think) five years. Would you like a new owner if it meant that we then had to start looking for a new ground - maybe Orrell, Leigh, St Pats!!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Do you have more than one interest? Saying whelan shouldnt be allowed more than one interest is like saying rugby players should play no other sport. He shouldn't be limited to one sport, its good hes promoting the two sports in wigan, although i don't like the latics i'm glad they've come up (so they can go striaght back down again haha); but seriously we've always known whelans heart is football shaped. I can't imagine he'd be looking forward to playing chelsea, its likely to be a rugby score!!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pie eaters posted:
Look at leeds or saints now they have chairmans that care only for rugby league
One other point on this. The owners of Saints and Leeds have never spent money sponsoring the SPORT of rugby league. Our owner, who you seem to think doesn't really care for WRLFC or rugby league, put his company's name to Superleague for a couple of seasons, so I would say his interest in RL actually goes beyond just our little club.

[hr]
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

pie eaters posted:
Im sick and tired by all the crap that is written on here about how we should be grateful to whelan for saving us from closure and all that. Im sure there were many other buyers who wanted to buy the most famous rugby club in the world. Saying that we should be grateful for the beautiful stadium when it is isnt much better than the Galpharm stadium. the only reasion you will see Dave whelan at the wigan rugby matches is for the free half time pie he gets he could not care about wigan rugby league
The facts are simple. Our exisiting board and chairman ran the club into the ground. If it wasnt for Whelan we wouldnt have a club, we didnt have any other interssted buyers at the time, so we would have folded, it really is that simple, he has built the JJB for both football and rugby, we have just as much right to it as the football do, not once has the premier league or Whelan himself said that the rugby will have to leave, it's all been fans like yourself looking for reasons to condemn him, so they cook up some conspiracy theory.
Our current plight has been brought about by alot of bad injuries and poor recruitment by Lindsay, we have used our salary cap limit every season and have spent more than the limit in its first season, we had 400k more than the rest of the teams in the league to spend.

So basically, he took over a team that was going to fold, we didnt have any other buyers, contrary to you thinking we did, he built a stadium that we still use and will continue to use, theres never been anything official to say we are being kicked out.
We pay as much as we can in wages as every other club is allowed to use, we cant pay any more than that.
For somebody whos chosen sport is football, I think he shows alot of interest and puts alot of money into a sport that he never played.

So what are your reasons, all you have stated is that you hate him and we shouldnt thank him for saving our club, and that the stadium isnt much better than the Galpharm, both are pretty poor reasons to hate a person.