Wigan Warriors' Morgan Escare linked with return to Catalans Dragons - reports

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
old hooker

Re: Wigan Warriors' Morgan Escare linked with return to Catalans Dragons - reports

Post by old hooker »

Firestarter wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:49 pm
medlocke wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:35 pm Swap him for Bousquet
MM please if we not signing a hooker next season
MM has more sense than to come back to this circus that is Wigan.
Firestarter

Re: Wigan Warriors' Morgan Escare linked with return to Catalans Dragons - reports

Post by Firestarter »

old hooker wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:54 pm
Thats true...... he still adds much more to cats than we getting atm
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:54 pm
PF Warrior wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:53 pm This is a disgrace. I don't like being disrespectful of Coaches, but I cannot understand what Adrian Lam is doing not using Morgan Escar'e. My thoughts as regards, Morgan are that I would use him in the way the Rhino's used Burrows. Put Morgan on, off the bench, 15/20 minutes before the end of both halves and with his speed he would score and create tries.

Lam has this quality player in his squad which he keeps on overlooking when choosing his team. I believe that this is one of the qualities that shows Lam has never coached,or been assistant at a club, that is in a league where the week in week out the team performance is critical.
In what position?

Escare ain’t fit to lace burrows boots. Oh, and they play a completely different position as well.

You need to get realistic.
Agreed,
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:16 pm
PF Warrior wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:53 pm This is a disgrace. I don't like being disrespectful of Coaches, but I cannot understand what Adrian Lam is doing not using Morgan Escar'e. My thoughts as regards, Morgan are that I would use him in the way the Rhino's used Burrows. Put Morgan on, off the bench, 15/20 minutes before the end of both halves and with his speed he would score and create tries.

Lam has this quality player in his squad which he keeps on overlooking when choosing his team. I believe that this is one of the qualities that shows Lam has never coached,or been assistant at a club, that is in a league where the week in week out the team performance is critical.
In what position?

Escare ain’t fit to lace burrows boots. Oh, and they play a completely different position as well.

Agreed,
and if you feel that Escare hasn't added something we are currently missing each time hes plays then you also need to get realistic.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

In what position?

Agreed,
At hooker. Anything is better than we have now. At least we would get some runs from dummy half.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Micky MAC has re-signed a new contract at Catalan
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am
Micky MAC has re-signed a new contract at Catalan
yes i know josie
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

PF Warrior wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 pm

In what position?

Agreed,
At hooker. Anything is better than we have now. At least we would get some runs from dummy half.
What's the obsession with dummy half scoots? The best hooker in the world is Cameron Smith, very rarely runs from dummy half but has the best distribution from there that I have ever seen, and hardly ever gets caught in possession.
Give me a Smith over a Roby or a Clarke anytime.
As for Escare, not good enough, but I would have played him last week on the wing before Hankinson.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

No straw damn us wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:16 am
PF Warrior wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 pm
Agreed,
What's the obsession with dummy half scoots? The best hooker in the world is Cameron Smith, very rarely runs from dummy half but has the best distribution from there that I have ever seen, and hardly ever gets caught in possession.
Give me a Smith over a Roby or a Clarke anytime.
As for Escare, not good enough, but I would have played him last week on the wing before Hankinson.
And the best we had was Martin Dermott. Waterworth had a great distribution game, his long passes created room for the halves but the club decided to let him go. Personally, I would have given him more time.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Just because the best in the world doesn't run from dummy half much doesn't mean it can't be effective. Super League is a different competition to the NRL and defences are more likely to struggle with quick hookers who get out from dummy half and can engage the defensive line before passing.

I think the issue isn't as much about how often hookers run from dummy half but how effective then can be when they do so. It's just like with halfbacks. If you're going to be a top class halfback you have to show you can do damage running with the ball as well as distributing it. As soon as anything starts to get predictable defences are going to find it easy to read.

I don't really get the calls for Escare to play at hooker though. If playing hooker was all about scooting teams would just stick a winger at 9 for 20 minutes. There's often talk of bringing these quick players on 'when defences tire' but modern teams have pretty good fitness levels. Plus Escare in the defensive line is an absolute nightmare. He'd either defend down the middle and get smashed around or have to be accommodated out wide - where he still isn't strong enough - and force someone else into the middle to cover for him.

Although I agree with what SEFC said - I'd have kept hold of Waterworth as his distribution is second to none - plus he's dangerous close to the line. I'm guessing the club put more faith in Ganson but it hasn't worked out.