Richards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
willie c

Re: Richards

Post by willie c »

yeah ian have him centre to calderwood that would be be a good partership
here mate is that tackle seven your jokeing my head marra
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

ChrisA posted:
After watching Richards today, I have no doubt he has all the skills needed and more to play centre, he just has a great rugby league brain add to that hes big, hes fast, he can tackle, and hes awsome under the highball, and even playing on the wing he was still making room for other players and setting up tries, he has plenty of vision and he can pull off some wonder passes, trust me he will be twice as good as Aspy and Wild put together, I really am impressed by him after seeing him this morning.

Saying hes played wing and should play there is not giving him enough credit, like I said he seems to have a great brain for rugby, and he will be able to play centre without question, and whoever his winger is will get plenty of ball. He looks like a similar type to Joe Lydon, maybe not as good, but in respects to you could play him anywhere in the backs and he will do a great job.
I've just wathed this game this afternon and must agree that Richards LOOKS more of a centre than a winger.

I think he looks a little slow though and have posted my thoughts on Richards reminding me of T. Iro and his dependency on good service from the halves that I feel could be missing next year without further recruitment.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Doveoverdave posted:
ChrisA posted:
After watching Richards today, I have no doubt he has all the skills needed and more to play centre, he just has a great rugby league brain add to that hes big, hes fast, he can tackle, and hes awsome under the highball, and even playing on the wing he was still making room for other players and setting up tries, he has plenty of vision and he can pull off some wonder passes, trust me he will be twice as good as Aspy and Wild put together, I really am impressed by him after seeing him this morning.

Saying hes played wing and should play there is not giving him enough credit, like I said he seems to have a great brain for rugby, and he will be able to play centre without question, and whoever his winger is will get plenty of ball. He looks like a similar type to Joe Lydon, maybe not as good, but in respects to you could play him anywhere in the backs and he will do a great job.
I've just wathed this game this afternon and must agree that Richards LOOKS more of a centre than a winger.

I think he looks a little slow though and have posted my thoughts on Richards reminding me of T. Iro and his dependency on good service from the halves that I feel could be missing next year without further recruitment.
You should rename yourself DespondantDave
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

ChrisA posted:
Doveoverdave posted:
ChrisA posted:

Just commenting on what I saw. He looks to have good hands but he did look slow for a winger and I'm not on my own in thinking this.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Doveoverdave posted:
ChrisA posted:
Doveoverdave posted: I've just wathed this game this afternon and must agree that Richards LOOKS more of a centre than a winger.

Just commenting on what I saw. He looks to have good hands but he did look slow for a winger and I'm not on my own in thinking this.
He is quite fast for a guy his size when he gets in full flight, hes one of those who needs to get going fully, and the one time he did get caught was by Merrit whos fast as hell anyway, if you saw the try he scored against the Roosters earlier in the season you would have seen how quick he is when he gets fully going, hes not lightning fast like Albert, but hes far from slow, hes fast enough to get through a gap and make some decent breaks, and he definately knows how to suck players in and release the ball at the right time, this is why I think he really would do well at centre for us, with either Dallas or Calderwood outside him, he has players with real pace to make the most of the breask he makes. He will be a real breath of fresh air compared to the sorry efforts we see from Aspy and Wild.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Doveoverdave posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere, around the time we signed him, that he was the fastest in the NRL at one time? or was that someone else?
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

GeoffN posted:
I'm sure I read somewhere, around the time we signed him, that he was the fastest in the NRL at one time? or was that someone else?
Nope that was Patty. I'm not sure exactly what year it was but the NRL has contests every now and then to see who the fastest, strongest etc. player in the NRL is. Around 2000/2001 Richards was deemed the fastest player in the NRL.

He has suffered a knee injury since then (which is why Parra had to let him go) and hasn't gotten back to full speed but while he was out he could only work on the upper body so has gained a lot of strength to make up for it. He's very far from slow though and could outrun the majority of players. When you play against Tigers you hope Patty doesn't get the ball with room to move.
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Vaealikis Girl posted:
GeoffN posted:
Nope that was Patty. I'm not sure exactly what year it was but the NRL has contests every now and then to see who the fastest, strongest etc. player in the NRL is. Around 2000/2001 Richards was deemed the fastest player in the NRL.

He has suffered a knee injury since then (which is why Parra had to let him go) and hasn't gotten back to full speed but while he was out he could only work on the upper body so has gained a lot of strength to make up for it. He's very far from slow though and could outrun the majority of players. When you play against Tigers you hope Patty doesn't get the ball with room to move.
Thanks, VG (the REAL VG !)...good useful info, as always!