Remember when...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Remember when...

Post by DaveO »

jao711 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote:Care to take a look at our respective records over the last decade? We have been far more successful than Saints.
Occasionally, teams get lucky with overseas players, and players emerging out of nowhere, but if you swapped an excellent coach in Holbrook with an out of his depth one like Lam then we would be at least as good as Saints even now. By this time next year, we will both have new coaches (as even Lam’s many supporters will one day concede that coming away from defeats against Saints being happy that our team has learnt some lessons is nowhere near good enough), and we will be beating them again.
We are not talking about the last decade but assembling a squad under current salary cap rules for this season and beyond comparable to the Wigan squad mentioned by the O/P.

You made the excuses that other teams can spend as much as us, less players are available and competition from the NRL.

Well Saints have managed to overcome these obstacles to assemble a better squad than we have and they also have a better coach. We have no excuses for not doing the same.

We on the other hand extend deals for players like Clubb, make panic signings like Sarge and Sammut, seemingly have no idea how to replace Lockers and have signed two players who aren’t even regulars in the current teams first 17.

A new coach, which we aren’t getting for at least another season won’t fix squad mismanagement on this level. In any case if you don’t rate the coach he’s is appointment is just another symptom of the same issue.

The current “strategy” as far as recruitment goes appears to be to fling cash at a star player another SL club found and hope for the best.
Well Dave how should we approach our recruitment “strategy”.? Should we rely purely on our superb academy,or should we go scouting for top class NRL players as many on here have suggested.OOPS wouldn’t that be flinging cash at a star player that some other club found.Oh dear perhaps we shouldn’t have signed Jackson Hastings.
The point I am making is obvious. That Wigan does not have a clue how to find players like Hastings off it’s own bat. It’s pretty good at recruiting bang average players though.

I am the last one to suggest the club should rely on its academy. John Monie once said if you get three first team standard players out of a seasons academy side you are doing well and that means inevitably the club has to balance bringing players through with recruitment.

My beef is with the standard of players it recruits many of which are just average or project players making you wonder do we really not have academy players as good as some of these such as Bibby? It’s not found a top class player from overseas itself since Carmont.

jao711

Re: Remember when...

Post by jao711 »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:16 pm
jao711 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 am

We are not talking about the last decade but assembling a squad under current salary cap rules for this season and beyond comparable to the Wigan squad mentioned by the O/P.

You made the excuses that other teams can spend as much as us, less players are available and competition from the NRL.

Well Saints have managed to overcome these obstacles to assemble a better squad than we have and they also have a better coach. We have no excuses for not doing the same.

We on the other hand extend deals for players like Clubb, make panic signings like Sarge and Sammut, seemingly have no idea how to replace Lockers and have signed two players who aren’t even regulars in the current teams first 17.

A new coach, which we aren’t getting for at least another season won’t fix squad mismanagement on this level. In any case if you don’t rate the coach he’s is appointment is just another symptom of the same issue.

The current “strategy” as far as recruitment goes appears to be to fling cash at a star player another SL club found and hope for the best.
Well Dave how should we approach our recruitment “strategy”.? Should we rely purely on our superb academy,or should we go scouting for top class NRL players as many on here have suggested.OOPS wouldn’t that be flinging cash at a star player that some other club found.Oh dear perhaps we shouldn’t have signed Jackson Hastings.
u

The point I am making is obvious. That Wigan does not have a clue how to find players like Hastings off it’s own bat. It’s pretty good at recruiting bang average players though.

I am the last one to suggest the club should rely on its academy. John Monie once said if you get three first team standard players out of a seasons academy side you are doing well and that means inevitably the club has to balance bringing players through with recruitment.

My beef is with the standard of players it recruits many of which are just average or project players making you wonder do we really not have academy players as good as some of these such as Bibby? It’s not found a top class player from overseas itself since Carmont.
And my point is this. How many scources of quality players are there? I would suggest 2/3.Academy,Overseas,or a class player from another club in the UK.Union is a faint possibility,as are the amateur leagues.Most of those seeming to be ruled out in your original post All of course under the salary cap rules.Building a champion side takes time ,the players you would like may not be available or a while.Patience is a virtue why not try it.