Re: Young forwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Schalk Brits... posted:
If all next seasons first choice pack stay fit for relatively long periods then many of the promising young forwards will not see much 1st team game time. How long before some want a move?
LF, JSS, Logan, Scully, Newton, Fletcher, Hock, Tickle, O'Loughlin, Beswick, McIlorum, Hargreaves, Prescott, Tomkins, Allen and Hansen.
Back to the academy for many methinks.
At which point people will start complaining that we're letting the kids go... It's a bit of a no-win situation really, the effect of a ridiculous injury situation for the last few years has meant we've blooded a lot of young players into SL, more than we would have expected, but those players are going to want more SL action and there just isn't the space to accommodate them all. We may have to release the occasional real star, such as Briscoe, but such is life. It doesn't do the players any good to be great prospects but unable to get a regular first team slot so they're bound to go elsewhere.

BTW who's McIlorum? Expect to see Tomkins drop back down a level, and probably Allen and Beswick as well.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
SiY

Post by SiY »

I think Hardgreaves/Prescott/Hanson deserve to stay at wigan in the future. All good players.
My boyZ

Post by My boyZ »

Mike McIIorum is one of the four 17 year olds who has just signed a 2 years full time contract! He has only really been playing in the junior academy this season so i doubt you'll see him in the first team for a couple of years, but is good prospect.
My boyZ

Post by My boyZ »

I know he is training with the first team, though i still dont think he is ready for first team, he needs more matches for the under 21's. John Walker has just turned 18, he was 17 when he signed the contract though.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

LP, JSS, Logan, Scully, Newton, Fletcher, Hock, Tickle, O'Loughlin, Beswick, McIlorum, Hargreaves, Prescott, Tomkins, Allen,Botham and Hansen.

The way I view the situation is that Allen and Beswick will be deemed surplus to requirements. I think both will do well though for other clubs. They can play at SL level. I think Botham will not be retained. He is keen and enthusiastic but he's too old and missing vital years in his rugby league education.

As it stands that leaves JSS, LP, Logan and Sculthorpe supposedly fighting out the prop positions. I am presuming that Hargreaves has made sufficient impression to break into the 17 though and adds a valuable quality of being able to play for lengthy periods of time. Many of the aforementioned 4 are short duration props. Prescott is highly regarded too. That means one of the 4 may go eventually. Whatever happens I think Hargreaves will get plenty of matches and prescott some.

Hooker wise. Newton/Godwin. Mclorrum is one for the future. He has some fantastic qualities but is a Yorkshire born lad and so his coaching at junior level is not as good as the Wigan lads. Hence, hes working really hard on his one weakness, passing. He's somebody for 2/3 years time.

Second row. Your looking at Fletcher/Hock/Tickle rotating. Loose forward O'Loughlin. Hansen will get plenty of game time. Young Tomkins mght get some but will be developed further in the academy.

Players will always get opportunities due to injuries but it's far better not to depend on them until they're really developed and ready. I think IM has a track record of blooding youngsters though by resting first teamers at appropriate times (Not en mass like Saints v Bradford :) )

Pack looks good to me. It's centres and half backs I worry about