Much better!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Much better!

Post by GeoffN »

Mostly impressed with tonight's performance...yeah, it was "only salford", but even so, a pretty good all-round performance.
Not convinced with Dallas at full-back...he was steady enough, and made good yards, but let the ball bounce too much where Rads would have caught it on the full...he got the txt MoM, which I would have given to Moran.
Good defensively; their only tries came from a stupid pass intercepted and a string of Ganson penalties (after he'd ignored the usual ration of high shots on Dallas).
Good go-forward generally from the pack, especially Scully. Orr and Moran worked much better together, both generally good kicking games, and lots of defensive work. DV disappointing..mostly invisible, but BC worked hard, and looked really up for it after a fairly slow start. Aspi looked good towards the end, having not done much first half.

Overall, yeah, it was only Salford, but I don't think anyone had the confidence to predict a 28 point margin.
Wizard_Millward

Re: Much better!

Post by Wizard_Millward »

Fair evaluation, but i disagree about DV, i thought he produced some nice offloads and he's now convinced me he's got the skill to really make an impact.

I was also impressed with Stephen Wild tonight, was probably the best he's been all season although still abit quiet. Aspinwall - same old display from him, tries hard but is clueless.

Other than that, an all round good performance in my book. :)
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think Salford were awful to be honest. They seemed to try the two big passes and hit us out wide all night long with little or no success.

We did better, our mistake rate is coming down. Moran and Orr did fine and I actually thought Dallas went well. Salford didn't really kick it down his throat to catch.
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

I really thought we'd lose tonight and I thought we would when the 2nd half begun, but thankfully I was incorrect! :D

Overall, very happy with tonight's result. Still a few silly errors and I thought Kevin Brown was anonymous. Jerry Seuseu wound me up a few times. But I was glad to see Newton and Carney bag 2 tries each, especially Carney who I thought needed a confidence boost. I thought Tickle was brill, as was Newton. Scully was impressive, so was Hargreaves again. Moran had a good game too, same with Orr.

Happy! :)
Wizard_Millward

Post by Wizard_Millward »

Brown was quiet, but he was fairly solid in defence which is an improvement, i'm not to unhappy with his performance tonight.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

I couldnt make it tonight due to work commitments, i was gutted especially after seeing the scoreline, how did Orr and Moran do ? i hear they played well again.
Tom_McCooey

Post by Tom_McCooey »

Just happy with the scoreline tonight! We were decent enough but salford were a bit dire.
Wigan 'til I die.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ChrisA posted:
I couldnt make it tonight due to work commitments, i was gutted especially after seeing the scoreline, how did Orr and Moran do ? i hear they played well again.
much better, both individually and together, especially Moran, who was involved in just about everything, plus lots of good defensive work in the Right centre position. His kicking game was much better than it has been...2 delightful short chips over the defence to counter their continual offsides.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No kicks out on the full for a start :D

Moran looked good. Not sure weve worked out best out to use him. If he can make a defender stop and then have to chase him diagonally he's quite lethal. His short kicking game (we had a lot of joy kicking short out wide as they just kept pushing up) was excellent and his defence (don't think he missed a tackle) is getting better. Orr was very solid and reliable and pulled a couple of great back handed flick passes out of tackles.

Oddly, the wingers saw plenty of ball but I cannot remember the centres having the ball as much :D Brown did one very nice step inside feed his winger for a try. Carney finished particularly well for one try. Tickle made very few errors compared to recent weeks. Hargreaves was very solid as per usual. Sculthorpe had moments of promise.

Honestly though Salford are naff
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

GeoffN posted:
ChrisA posted:
ally and together, especially Moran, who was involved in just about everything, plus lots of good defensive work in the Right centre position. His kicking game was much better than it has been...2 delightful short chips over the defence to counter their continual offsides.
Morans short kicking game is second to none, its when hes trying to get distance he over does it, Orr should handle the long range kicking, its good to hear he played well again tonight, he will still have plenty of doubters, but if he keeps doing what hes doing only the stubborn and people who dont like to be proved wrong will continue to slag him off. We will see a better distribution game from him next year aswel, we will have alot of players who know how to hit gaps and make dummy runs, with the guys coming in and Hock and Lockers returning, with more options provided by better players around them giving them more space to work and more options to work with, Moran and Orr can make massive strides, and really start to tear teams to bits.