Kimmorley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Doveoverdave

Kimmorley

Post by Doveoverdave »

Bradford's (apparent) signing of Brett Kimmorley is a superb piece of dealing in the transfer market. Once again we have been found wanting in this dept..

Surley or "guys on the ground" knew he was available?

To get the incumbant Aussie test scrum half would have strengthened our squad immeasurably and would have put some emphasis on our woeful attack instead of filling the squad with forwards.

The creativity within the squad is at an all time low and the addition of a genuine play maker, who is not onthe slide, would reap rewards. The forwards may get us to the try line but who within the team has the nounce to get us over? Moran, Orr, I don't think so.
robjoenz

Re: Kimmorley

Post by robjoenz »

How can you say we're lacking in this department with the guys we've signed for next season?

We need to make sure we can balance out the salaries though. We have Radlinski and Vaealiki on massive wages relative to the rest. Kimmorley would no doubt demand a big wodge too.

I think we should stick with Orr and Moran, they're looking better lately and I think (and hope) they'll come into their own behind our beast of a pack next season.

If the rumours are true about Aspinwall and Wild being sold to Huddersfield I'd suggest we sign a centre rather than anymore forwards or half backs. We're pretty much sorted in every position except centre if these rumours are true.
SiY

Post by SiY »

True he would have been good for us. But it may have made Orr worse. As he wouldn't be getting playing time because of Kimmorley. I think Orr and Moran will be good next season. With Lockers and Fletcher both playmakers (even though Fletcher will play second row he may still be able to create stuff in the middle as he is a loose forward aswell).
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

I believe he only recently became available, plus he will want silly money, which would limit out other signings in other areas, overall I am very happy with our signings for next year, and as of late our halves have been playing well(I have no doubt you disagree), we needed to strenghten our forwards more than our halves, that is what we have done, and done it well I feel. We are still on the lookout for more players, if we were to get Kimmorley that wouldnt have been the case as we would have been up to our cap limit already I would have thought.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Robjoenz posted:
How can you say we're lacking in this department with the guys we've signed for next season?
None of our signings has the profile of BK and we seem to never be in the frame for big signings.
I think we should stick with Orr
I don't. He's been awful as well as injured in his time at Wigan and I have never thought him good enough to be at the club - not in the top 6 GB halves IMO.
We're pretty much sorted in every position
I hope you're right. However my faith in the club's transfer policy has been shattered over the last few seasons and I will wait and see what the new guys bring to the club. BK IS the finished, proven article and would be an asset to any team.
Wizard_Millward

Post by Wizard_Millward »

Doveoverdave posted:
Robjoenz posted:
None of our signings has the profile of BK and we seem to never be in the frame for big signings.
I think we should stick with Orr
I don't. He's been awful as well as injured in his time at Wigan and I have never thought him good enough to be at the club - not in the top 6 GB halves IMO.
We're pretty much sorted in every position
I hope you're right. However my faith in the club's transfer policy has been shattered over the last few seasons and I will wait and see what the new guys bring to the club. BK IS the finished, proven article and would be an asset to any team.
I agree, i can see this guy ripping through our defence next season. :(
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

ChrisA posted:
I believe he only recently became available
Don't be niave!
plus he will want silly money,
So what? Fletcher, Fecca and Richards are all on record as saying that they have had offers they can't refuse.(One of these would have to be lost. Fletch for me) Difference is with BK is that you would be getting a player of Aussie test standard, very rare indeed, look at the impact that Lyons has had at Saints.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Doveoverdave posted:
The team we have this season is no threat to any other team in SL, what we needed (and are doing) is starting with the bare bones we have now and building from that. Signing one or two high profile players would mean we wouldn't have been able to sign half of the players we have so far. In which case we'd still have no depth. We look to have a great 'team' for next season.

I don't see the great desire that some people do to sign 'big names' players. Newcastle Knights have THE big name of the moment but what good is one top player doing for them?
Maurice apologised to us fans last week at the Riversiders meeting for making some bad signings over past years and has promising to let Millward choose who he wants. This should sort out our transfer policy for the better.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Newcastle Knights have THE big name of the moment but what good is one top player doing for them?
Newcastle lost 12 from 12 with Johns out injured. With him back they've won about 6 out of 7. Destroyed Melbourne last week and just battered Canterbury away today....
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Doveoverdave posted:
Newcastle Knights have THE big name of the moment but what good is one top player doing for them?
Newcastle lost 12 from 12 with Johns out injured. With him back they've won about 6 out of 7. Destroyed Melbourne last week and just battered Canterbury away today....
Yes, I know... and if we signed Kimmorley at the expense of three or four other players to pay his wages and he became injured we may lose 12 out of 12 too! We've relied on one big name player too much in the past in Faz, now we finally are sorting out a complete 'team' with strength in depth. A much better approach.