THANKYOU - now shut it Stevo

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrsLam

THANKYOU - now shut it Stevo

Post by MrsLam »

From http://www.skysports.com/skysports/arti ... 28,00.html
NO MOMENTUM
Is there such a rule as the 'momentum' rule, or is this a figment of Stevo's imagination? Ron Wade, Wigan.

STUART SAYS: There is no such thing as the momentum rule! Section 10 of the International laws of the Game state that the ball cannot be passed forward. In the notes to the Law it quotes:

"The direction of the pass is relevant to the player making it not to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running towards his opponents' goal line may throw the ball towards a colleague who is behind him but because of the throwers own momentum the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward pass as the thrower has not passed the ball forward in relation to himself."

This is the only mention of momentum in the Laws of the Game.
So sick of hearing "Oh but the momentum rule would make this try stand" If it's forward, it's forward :angry:
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Re: THANKYOU - now shut it Ste...

Post by robjoenz »

MrsLam posted:
From http://www.skysports.com/skysports/arti ... 28,00.html
NO MOMENTUM
Is there such a rule as the 'momentum' rule, or is this a figment of Stevo's imagination? Ron Wade, Wigan.

STUART SAYS: There is no such thing as the momentum rule! Section 10 of the International laws of the Game state that the ball cannot be passed forward. In the notes to the Law it quotes:

"The direction of the pass is relevant to the player making it not to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running towards his opponents' goal line may throw the ball towards a colleague who is behind him but because of the throwers own momentum the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward pass as the thrower has not passed the ball forward in relation to himself."

This is the only mention of momentum in the Laws of the Game.
So sick of hearing "Oh but the momentum rule would make this try stand" If it's forward, it's forward :angry:
A bit contradictory from Cummings there.

There is no rule called 'The Momentum Rule' however it saves Stevo saying the long paragraph below each time he needs to refer to it. The rule stated there states exactly what Stevo has said.

Unfortunately MrsLam Stevo is totally correct, the ball may travel forward as long as the player did not pass it forward. Perhaps as fans in the stand we need to stop watching the flight of the ball but more watch the shape of the throwers hands.
MrsLam

Re: THANKYOU - now shut it...

Post by MrsLam »

The ball can't travel forwards without it being passed forward. If it hits the floor and goes forwards it's a knock on. Obviously, running at speed the ball is going to travel forward with each pass but that's when he starts going on about the flat pass which is fine because although it travels forward with the players it hasn't been passed forward.
What winds me up is when the ball has clearly gone forward, and he says momentum has taken it forward. It's not, it was just forward.

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I think you misunderstand MrsLam...

The rule means if a player is running full tilt and makes a long flat pass on the half way line it is likely to be caught half way toward their 40 metre line because when the balls leaves the players hands it is moving the same speed as the player in the forward direction. Therefore, even if the ball is played backwards it may travel forward relative to the ground.

Stevos right I'm afraid.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

MrsLam posted:
What winds me up is when the ball has clearly gone forward, and he says momentum has taken it forward. It's not, it was just forward.
You just have to look at the direction of the players hands the instant the ball is released.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

robjoenz posted:
MrsLam posted:
You just have to look at the direction of the players hands the instant the ball is released.
Not much good for us old, short-sighted folk - we need to get the players to all wear giant comedy hands so it's clear which way they're pointing!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

robjoenz posted:

The rule means if a player is running full tilt and makes a long flat pass on the half way line it is likely to be caught half way toward their 40 metre line because when the balls leaves the players hands it is moving the same speed as the player in the forward direction. Therefore, even if the ball is played backwards it may travel forward relative to the ground.

Stevos right I'm afraid.

But that's what I just said, obviosuly it is going to go forward travelling at speed I know that and that's what Cummings has written in his reply to the question. Oh, how I have missed these debates with you :blush:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Fraggle posted:
robjoenz posted:
MrsLam posted:
Not much good for us old, short-sighted folk - we need to get the players to all wear giant comedy hands so it's clear which way they're pointing!
hehehe!
With those big eyes, how can you not see Fraggle?

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

MrsLam posted:
robjoenz posted:

Stevos right I'm afraid.

But that's what I just said, obviosuly it is going to go forward travelling at speed I know that and that's what Cummings has written in his reply to the question. Oh, how I have missed these debates with you :blush:

In that case you've said Stevo is wrong and now just said Stevo is right. Make up your mind!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

MrsLam posted:
Fraggle posted:
robjoenz posted: You just have to look at the direction of the players hands the instant the ball is released.
hehehe!
With those big eyes, how can you not see Fraggle?
No, I was just having an It's a Knockout flashback moment. It'd be one way to bring the viewers flocking back to watching our sport if we had an IAK version with all the players wearing wellies instead of boots and giant hands. Ray French could take over from Eddie "Oooop and Oooonda" Waring, with Stevo reprising Stuart Hall as the rambling idiot...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]