RFL OFFERS SUPPORT IN RECOGNITION OF THE CARDIFF BAY CODEBREAKERS

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
morley pie eater

Re: Time for Cardiff to crown 'King Billy'

Post by morley pie eater » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:00 pm

ian.birchall wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:50 am
So says the back page headline of the Sports section of today's Daily Telegraph after philanthropist business man Sir Stanley Thomas donated almost £300k towards a statue to celebrate the black sportsmen who came out of Cardiff Bays' Butetown area.
The writers father, a Roughyeds fan from Oldham described him to his son as a Jonah Lomu with Fred Astaires dancing feet.

Being of an age lucky enough to have spent the last 7 years of Billy's career watching him pull magic out of those feet as well as his brute strength I can think of no better description of a man who has never been bettered as a Wigan signing and still lives in Wigan and until recently when old age finally caught him was still a regular supporter in the ground for the Club and game he loved.
Our Club, our game.
Ian, I only saw Billy for the last 2 or 3 years of his career, but he remains my lifetime hero. As well as his skill as a player, he has always been a man of the people: down-to-earth, modest, completely lacking the arrogance that seems to go with so many "stars" today who are not fit to lace Billy's boots.
Sign the change.org petition to recognise Roy Francis' contribution to RL at
http://chng.it/yCZJsNtg