21-man squad vs Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:23 am

Lockers is the main man.
Did you say main man or lame man - because the latter is more appropriate
Surely for the sake of his own reputation (even excluding the interests of the club), SOL surely wont consider staying in 2021? I have no idea who's on what salary but I cant imagine SOL is a low earner!
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It would seen that Hankinson is the new Escare. Opinion may be divided on him - I think he's an honest pro; a really good place-kicker; always tries hard; gives 100% but lacks pace and may only be a squad player - but surely the club should do the decent thing. If you're never going to play him, let him leave and resurrect his career elsewhere. If it comes back to bite you, tough luck.
Wigan are not the club who should behave like this to a player - we're better than that.
And if they think Bibby is the better bet....................... think again.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:19 am It would seen that Hankinson is the new Escare. Opinion may be divided on him - I think he's an honest pro; a really good place-kicker; always tries hard; gives 100% but lacks pace and may only be a squad player - but surely the club should do the decent thing. If you're never going to play him, let him leave and resurrect his career elsewhere. If it comes back to bite you, tough luck.
Wigan are not the club who should behave like this to a player - we're better than that.
He isn't a place kicker, he is a goal kicker. Hardaker has a decent enough average to keep him out on that basis. You also cannot afford to have too many of the average players who try hard in your starting 13 / 17 squad. Isa currently has that role and does it well.

With regards to Bibby vs Hankinson. I haven't seen enough of either to truly say who is better at Centre. But what Bibby gives you is coverage for wing (vital at the moment with our injuries) whereas Hankinson gives cover at 2nd row.

I do agree, like Escare, it is a weird signing to make but not play him. It happens, and we do not know what goes on behind closed doors and in training which is where such decisions are made but the way I see it is that two coaches now haven't really fancied him even when we have injuries and are also rotating and that is all we can go off.

With regards to the people who have the opposite opinion and believe that he hasn't had his chance and is a better player than the coach makes out - We haven't seen him play enough to make that decision imo and should trust the coach. Whilst a similar scenario with Escare, we had seen him perform well at Salford and also at Wigan when given the chance.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:27 am
Southern Softy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:19 am It would seen that Hankinson is the new Escare. Opinion may be divided on him - I think he's an honest pro; a really good place-kicker; always tries hard; gives 100% but lacks pace and may only be a squad player - but surely the club should do the decent thing. If you're never going to play him, let him leave and resurrect his career elsewhere. If it comes back to bite you, tough luck.
He isn't a place kicker, he is a goal kicker. Hardaker has a decent enough average to keep him out on that basis. You also cannot afford to have too many of the average players who try hard in your starting 13 / 17 squad. Isa currently has that role and does it well.

With regards to Bibby vs Hankinson. I haven't seen enough of either to truly say who is better at Centre. But what Bibby gives you is coverage for wing (vital at the moment with our injuries) whereas Hankinson gives cover at 2nd row.

I do agree, like Escare, it is a weird signing to make but not play him. It happens, and we do not know what goes on behind closed doors and in training which is where such decisions are made but the way I see it is that two coaches now haven't really fancied him even when we have injuries and are also rotating and that is all we can go off.

With regards to the people who have the opposite opinion and believe that he hasn't had his chance and is a better player than the coach makes out - We haven't seen him play enough to make that decision imo and should trust the coach. Whilst a similar scenario with Escare, we had seen him perform well at Salford and also at Wigan when given the chance.
You think that Bibby can cover the wing position? Not from what I have seen!
Charriots Offiah

Do you think that he can match his salary elsewhere?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Big stick wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:31 am
widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:34 pm
Barney841 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:42 pm I don’t get people’s hard on about hankinson.
Yeah you can say there’s not much difference between him and bibby but with Zak and gilly fit does he get ahead of them, no.
No rod - just needs a fair chance is all
I agree he’s not good enough. He’s been with us 3 seasons and he had 2 good games. I think his fair chance has been and gone.
He hasn't had much game time in those 3 seasons so can't say he has had a fair crack TBH.

He joined Wigan in July 2018 on a two-year deal from Swinton so time to use him or fire him off.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Sorry about the place kicker comment - all I meant was that he kicks goals but he's not normally used for tactical kicking. Mind you, apart from Harry Smith, he might be an improvement on what we have at the moment. As for his salary (which is none of my business), I doubt at his age he's 'doing an Ozil' - I'm sure he'd rather be playing, even at a reduced wage elsewhere in SL.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:45 pm
Lockers is the main man.
Christ on a bike, heard it all now
Charriots Offiah

medlocke wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:06 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:45 pm
Lockers is the main man.
Christ on a bike, heard it all now
We could do with him as well 😀
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:27 am
He isn't a place kicker, he is a goal kicker.
Are they not the same thing?