Mark Calderwood

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Mark Calderwood

Post by Fraggle »

Interesting quote from our new winger in the run up to the Challenge Cup final on the BBC Sport site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 182888.stm):-
"I have a two-year deal with Wigan and, if things go great, I could stay there for the rest of my career.

"They have had some great wingers over the years, people like Billy Boston and Jason Robinson, and it would be great to be up there with them."
Either we're offering him an absolutely massive bag of money or he's really really excited by coming to us (probably a bit of both). At 23 years old, to be talking of looking forward to finishing his career at a club he hasn't even joined yet is a little bit unusual!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Mark Calderwood

Post by Mike »

I was slightly worried about this quote actually. The way he says "if things go great" he'll stay for more than two-years. Sounds like he is considering life after his Wigan contract already. Seem like a bit of a mercenary to me, but I will wait and see if his heart is in it when he gets here...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Fraggle posted:
Interesting quote from our new winger in the run up to the Challenge Cup final on the BBC Sport site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 182888.stm):-
"I have a two-year deal with Wigan and, if things go great, I could stay there for the rest of my career.

"They have had some great wingers over the years, people like Billy Boston and Jason Robinson, and it would be great to be up there with them."
Either we're offering him an absolutely massive bag of money or he's really really excited by coming to us (probably a bit of both). At 23 years old, to be talking of looking forward to finishing his career at a club he hasn't even joined yet is a little bit unusual!
What would be more unusual is if he turned out any where near as good as the wingers named.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Doug Stand posted:
Nah, the cynic in me just says that this is a standard sportsman quote... I'm really excited about joingin a new team... of course you are...just smile for the press Mark... then say over the moon or sick as a parrot.
I don't think you can read into anything there...
I'm surprised we even got a mention beyond the usual "I'm joining so-and-so but I'm 100% committed to helping my team win the Cup this weekend. Next year isn't important right now blah blah blah".
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

I actually think he is a bit presumptuous to put himself in the same class as those two players, he has a good record and is playing in a very effective team but come on Boston!!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I don't think he was comparing himself to the 3 greats that he mentioned. They were probably people that he would asspire to try and emmulate. I agree with Doug, it just sounds like a standard reply to the media.

jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

He is the leading try scorer in Superleague, and scoring tries is the main function of a winger. I'm happy to trust the club's judgement in signing him and by his comments he looks ready to offer significantly more commitment to the club than his predecessor.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Schalk Brits... posted:
He is a potential master of disaster.
He lacks bottle and if Leeds thought he was any good they would have kept him.
Yeah like Bai to I suppose....

LIke what happemed to us. Glory builds gread. Leeds won the final last year and suddenly some of the stars are leaving due to money. This is what the cap is in for.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro posted:
Schalk Brits... posted:
He is a potential master of disaster.
He lacks bottle and if Leeds thought he was any good they would have kept him.
Yeah like Bai to I suppose....

Like what happemed to us. Glory builds gread. Leeds won the final last year and suddenly some of the stars are leaving due to money. This is what the cap is in for.
It is not greed. As players gain experience they can command more money and given their career is short you can't blame them from maximising their wages. It is a professional sport and their job.

The salary cap means that even if a club wanted to increase a players wgaes they may not be able to do so they have to move to get what they can command as a wage.

Calderwood has gone from one wealthy club to another and the salary cap was supposed to spread the talent about not just have players swapping amongst the big spenders. Just like when Furner left us he went to Leeds not Salford!

The cap doesn't work for what it was brought in for at all IMO.

As to Calderwood himself he was in the thick of it today and he can go the length of the pitch so he will do for me.

People can dismiss the quote at the start of this thread all they like but actions speak louder than words and you can't question his professionalism given the way he is playing for Leeds at the moment when he knows full well he is off at the end of the season.

Dave
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

DaveO posted:
As to Calderwood himself actions speak louder than words and you can't question his professionalism given the way he is playing for Leeds at the moment when he knows full well he is off at the end of the season.

Dave
Not often I agree with this windbag but for once he is spot on :exc:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.