who will be the challenge cup winners

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
damien morrissey

Re: who will be the challe...

Post by damien morrissey »

ok yep on one foot i stand corrected.I usually can see why the LT is awarded to an individual but in this case i have no idea i didnt realise it was awarded for most blood spilt this year.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

damien morrissey posted:
ok yep on one foot i stand corrected.I usually can see why the LT is awarded to an individual but in this case i have no idea i didnt realise it was awarded for most blood spilt this year.
And you are the one calling someone else a bit harsh!! IMO Sinfield fully deserved it. He was central to everything Leeds did and tackled his heart out - a trait many on this site seem to admire in a stand off.

For what it's worth Jonathan Davies also called him "magnificent", but maybe you know more about RL than he does.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

As i said Jimmy i didnt have the luxury of whatching the full game just the highlights as i intimated above i rate Sinfield very highly and went to the length of defending his post match comment about swopping his LT for a winners medal. I can only comment on what i saw and from what i saw Sinfield wasnt the best player on the pitch if it was to go to a Leeds player then i would award it to Danny Ward, if it was my opinion that counted to the LT then it would be Cooke shaving it from Brough.
As for Davis he was a fantastic player but his idea of magnificent probably compared to half of the Union squad of the Lions he has an excellent knowledge of both codes but it is his opinion are you saying that certain people only are allowed opinions on the game?
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

A lot of people have said they cant see why Sinfield has got it, including Leeds fans themselves. I personally don't care who got it but I agree that it should be kept till the end of the match before choosing.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Interesting comments on the SportingLife website about the Lance Todd trophy http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... olumn.html
SportingLife.com wrote:

The choice of beaten skipper Kevin Sinfield as Lance Todd Trophy winner in the Powergen Challenge Cup final raised a few eyebrows so perhaps an explanation is required.

Voting for the man-of-the-match award by members of the Rugby League Writers' Association has traditionally taken place 10 minutes before the final whistle so the announcement can be made before the end.

With Leeds leading 24-19 at the time, Sinfield had clearly played the most influential role in what appeared to be a Rhinos triumph and was a comfortable winner, polling twice as many votes as his nearest rival.

Between voting and the final whistle, however, Hull struck back decisively to claim the spoils and, had a re-count been held, it is quite possible the award could have gone to goalkicking scrum-half Danny Brough or workaholic skipper Richard Swain.

Hull coach John Kear afterwards called for voting to take place at the end of the match in future and he has a valid point.

The Lance Todd Trophy is arguably the most coveted individual award in the game and deserves the utmost respect.

I don't really see any problem with the award being decided at the end of the match, it could be announced and presented before the winners and losers medals. 10 minutes is a long time in a game of rugby and it really doesn't make sense for such an award to be decided based on who is the best player for the first 70 minutes of a game.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]