Drawn Games

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Re: Drawn Games

Post by robjoenz »

I think the powers that be are far too eager to start playing about with rules in RL. Whenever a new concern is mentioned they seem to introduce a new rule and if they don't the media is always suggesting it.

You don't see this much messing about with football, it makes it even more difficult for the casual fan to keep up with our game. They ought to just leave it be for a while and the media concentrate on what we have got.
Ron

Post by Ron »

It seems most of you are not in favour of changing the scoring system. I don't understand why some of you think this would complicate the system. If a team wins they get 3 points; if they draw they get one. What's complicated about that. This has nothing to do with how any other sport award their points. I am talking Rugby League! I never mentioned about a bonus point system and don't understand what you mean by this. I said that I initially thought that it seemed unfair that a team who scored most tries (in a drawn game) only shared the points, but I soon dismissed that as unworkable. I haven't come up with this idea so as to make excuses/reasons why Wigan shouldn't be higher up the table, I have thought of this for a long time. Surely if a team wins more games then they should be higher up the table than one who wins less games and draws a couple! A few seasons ago someone came up with the idea of awarding points for whichever team won each half - I agree that was a crazy idea. Just an idea but obviously not one you agree with.
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

i can understand what your saying ron but at the moment our points system works so why not keep it as it is. you cannot compare rugby too football as it is a totally different game (the only similarity being is that most of the players have noses).
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Ron posted:
It seems most of you are not in favour of changing the scoring system. I don't understand why some of you think this would complicate the system.
Sorry if I misread your (dismissed) point about rewarding teams who score more tries. I think the main objection to changing is in how you value the achievement of getting a draw. Drawn games are pretty rare these days, and they're often the result of a poorer team battling very hard to contain or catch up to better opposition to earn their point. I think this extra effort should be suitably rewarded, which it wouldn't really be if a win was worth so much more.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Ron posted:
Surely if a team wins more games then they should be higher up the table than one who wins less games and draws a couple!
:eh: :eh:
Team a) played 10 won 9 drawn 0 lost 1 = 18 points (or 27 points)

Team b) played 10 Won 8 Drawn 2 lost 0 = 18 points (or 26 points)

Team b remain unbeaten why should they be on less points? The current system appears to reward the unbeaten record whilst still appreciating the fact that team a has won more games.

This is surely more fair.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I like the 2 point for a win, 1 for a draw system. Its seems pretty fair to me. As doveoverdave says it rewards going un-beaten:

THe current table has:

Code: Select all

Bradford   25 15 1 9 31
Hull       25 14 2 9 30
Warrington 25 15 0 10 30
The two teams having lost only 9 matches are above the team having lost 10. Seems fair enough to me. I'm not a big fan of the footy system - I think it was introduced as its too easy to play for a draw in football, so some encouragement to to for the win is required. Not the case in RL.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mike posted:
I like the 2 point for a win, 1 for a draw system. Its seems pretty fair to me. As doveoverdave says it rewards going un-beaten:

THe current table has:

Code: Select all

Bradford   25 15 1 9 31
Hull       25 14 2 9 30
Warrington 25 15 0 10 30
The two teams having lost only 9 matches are above the team having lost 10. Seems fair enough to me. I'm not a big fan of the footy system - I think it was introduced as its too easy to play for a draw in football, so some encouragement to to for the win is required. Not the case in RL.
The reason, as I see it, that Hull are above Warrington is because Hull have a greater points difference - not because they have lost less matches. It seems that I have been outvoted, so in a democratic society I withdraw my suggestion.