Hastings. Again.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: Hastings. Again.

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:54 pm Seems strange people are ignoring the rumours that he has enforced his own extensions and there is tension in the squad because of it.
But thats all they are rumours, unless you or someone else has 1st hand access to information

My take on this is that AL / KR should be speaking to Bevan / Jackson on a daily basis, in the same way they are communicating with the team during training sessions. If there are any issues aired, they should be dealt with inhouse, and not the general topic of debate on a forum. At the end of the day they are part of the team, and are grown men, so should be able to deal with it as that.

Given we are in a global pandemic, something that none of us have experienced before and i hope we never have to experience again i personally think that the club have shown compassion in allowing 2 key players extra time at home with their families, and as long as they have kept up with the fitness regime the club have given them, then i personally have no issue with them staying on, on the basis that they come back fit and firing, and raring to go and deliver some silverware.
The article from Tony Clubb says that they have only just started on ball work, so they wont have missed that much in terms of plays (unless AL has lots of new ones he is introducing), and given our playing squad hasnt changed that much from last season, then the plays and lines that players run will pretty much be the same, and cant see it taking them that long to get back up to speed
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Why is t he playing Escaré???
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

So know we have it from Lam,they may not be ready for round one,what an absolute joke,they have had 5 months to make round one,I am sure Leigh will be ready,let's wait and see.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:54 pm Seems strange people are ignoring the rumours that he has enforced his own extensions and there is tension in the squad because of it.
Maybe people are not as bothered as some people think they should be.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

But that all this has been an exercise in nonsense and rumours you yourself always ask for some proof on most subjects yet are happy to accept what has been written in this thread.

My last word on it he stayed here last summer while French went home that much we do know so he’s entitled to a couple of extra weeks off seeing family,I do wonder why French,who’s done the same thing here gets away Scott free?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

To get some kind of perspective on this, I go back to Brett Kenny:

How long was he here for? Was he committed to Wigan or just here for a payday? Did he lose us the last game v Saints and have a flight booked home?

You know what, 35 years or so later, I don't care. But I do remember his performance at Wembley. And if we could re-wind, I'd be all for signing him again.

Now Hastings is not in the same class as Kenny, but the principle applies. It's a pro game, short career, players have different personalities and different approaches to life. As long as they don't bring the club into disrepute, it's what they do on the field that counts.

Hastings adds enough to the team to be worth putting up with some people's interpretation of a press interview. I'll be glad to see him back, even if it's only for one more season.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

I mean its not rumours. He refused to come home first

He then refused to come home because Wigan wouldn't entertain the possibility of him getting out of his contract. (His mam has said similar on twitter)

He then had an episode at the airport (maybe calculated maybe a genuine mistake)

I said yesterday the issues were sorted and today he is on a plane. What more do you want.

I don't like the way the bloke has acted and its not a weird agenda at all.

Just because he is coming home now does not mean any of the above didn't happen. Or that the club were not genuinely worried.

Its all in the past now. He’s a Wigan player and ill support him just like I will the rest of the lads. But rest assured. Everything I said has happened.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Final thing from me. If he was always coming home why has Lam only came out and said he isn't listening to the rumours and Jackson will be playing for us this year..... After he’s on the plane home. Why not a week or so ago.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Pictures on Facebook showing him departing Oz for the UK.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:30 pm To get some kind of perspective on this, I go back to Brett Kenny:

How long was he here for? Was he committed to Wigan or just here for a payday? Did he lose us the last game v Saints and have a flight booked home?

You know what, 35 years or so later, I don't care. But I do remember his performance at Wembley. And if we could re-wind, I'd be all for signing him again.

Now Hastings is not in the same class as Kenny, but the principle applies. It's a pro game, short career, players have different personalities and different approaches to life. As long as they don't bring the club into disrepute, it's what they do on the field that counts.

Hastings adds enough to the team to be worth putting up with some people's interpretation of a press interview. I'll be glad to see him back, even if it's only for one more season.
You can't compare the two as Kenny was guesting for us. Everyone knew the situation.

I agree with all the comments about it being a pro game/short career etc.

However, it's also a team game. (Sheffield Eagles anyone?).

Even more so in a Salary Cap limited sport, this is vital.