Today's game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Today's game

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Like others, I don’t understand how we came to let Hank go, when we knew Marshall was out for ages, and Dom is high risk. If Field is fit, and French and Hastings play (and why not, when players have stepped straight off the plane onto the pitch in the past), then I think we can get by with French - Hanley - Hardaker - Bibby - Field - Hastings - Leuluai/Smith , if not then I am really scratching my head. Isa to centre???
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

Whilst it would be great to have cover in all positions the salary cap dictates this is no longer a possibility unfortunately , other teams ,notably Leeds , are also experiencing problems with injuries . Not many teams have cover in all positions for example who's the wing and centre back up players at saints and Warrington ?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

cherry toffee wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:55 pm Whilst it would be great to have cover in all positions the salary cap dictates this is no longer a possibility unfortunately , other teams ,notably Leeds , are also experiencing problems with injuries . Not many teams have cover in all positions for example who's the wing and centre back up players at saints and Warrington ?
That’s a fair point CT but Wigan knew they would have a problem for part of the season and therefore should have planned accordingly.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:10 pm
Wigan Watcher wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:11 pm How can you not have your main play maker not at pre-season training???

MADNESS!
Suzieb wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:44 pm I said weeks ago that what is happening is not right but a lot of people on here did not agree with me,shocking.
You both know the reasons why they were given extended leave, it's been posted on here. What would you have done if you were in charge of the Wigan club?

Or are you just serial moaners?
Yet again people not wanting other people to have an opinion unless it's the same as theirs!
I made a statement, I didnt ask the question about why they were given extended leave.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Salary cap means you have to rely on kids for backup in most positions. Its a fact of life. We shold have a bunch of wiggle room right now after the departure of Burgess, but the club only managed to agree that recently so couldn't plan for that situation.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

It does seem unusual to be in this position at the start of the season regarding wingers. I think most people questioned the logic of letting Burgess go even though that deal was apparently done sometime ago, when you have one winger coming back from injury and on paper seems injury prone.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:12 pm It does seem unusual to be in this position at the start of the season regarding wingers. I think most people questioned the logic of letting Burgess go even though that deal was apparently done sometime ago, when you have one winger coming back from injury and on paper seems injury prone.
I didn't. He's been poor since he came back. Promote some youth.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:56 am
pedro wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:20 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:13 am

Hardaker, French

I do agree we are light at Wing and Centre though.

When fully fit we have two wingers, two centres and Bibby covering both positions...That isn't enough, especially when you factor in Marshall's injury, Manfredi's injury record, and lets be honest, Gildart does pick up his fair share.
so 2 fullbacks/centres not good
Hardaker has more than proven himself to be a competent Centre.
right but wingers are?.......
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:28 pm
Wigan Watcher wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:12 pm It does seem unusual to be in this position at the start of the season regarding wingers. I think most people questioned the logic of letting Burgess go even though that deal was apparently done sometime ago, when you have one winger coming back from injury and on paper seems injury prone.
I didn't. He's been poor since he came back. Promote some youth.
Who? Which wingers are coming through the youth structure?
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

Your right chariots not a lot of threequarters coming through only Tyrer on the wing and Hallsall at centre and they obviously don't think they're ready yet so maybe Hanley gets another chance. To be honest if he needs to get a bit more experience i could think of worse teams to play against