Dom Manfredi injury blow - what are Wigan Warriors' wing options?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Dom Manfredi injury blow - what are Wigan Warriors' wing options?

Post by Barney841 »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:37 am He was the best winger in super league before his first injury...... his ability to leap and catch was second to none....... great all round winger....... be like a new signing if he did ever get fully fit and injury free
He was the best winger in super league before all the injuries, saved our bacon plenty of times. He would of been a starting winger for England as well. Don’t think we will ever see that Dom again though unfortunately, one cruciate injury is hard to comeback from never mind 3
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:37 am He was the best winger in super league before his first injury...... his ability to leap and catch was second to none....... great all round winger....... be like a new signing if he did ever get fully fit and injury free
I agree, but for how many games though?

He looked different last year, maybe the last knee injury has impacted his ability to fully recover.

78 first team games at 27 years old simply isn't good enough. Not Dom's fault, he's had bad luck, some people also are more prone to injuries, but in a salary cap sport sometimes hard decisions need to be made.

What is his contract situation?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Time to let his contract expire and bring a decent centre in to replace him
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:25 pm Time to let his contract expire and bring a decent centre in to replace him
Centre to replace a winger ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Ken

Post by Ken »

Dom is still the best winger in super league, anybody can damage a thumb, get of his back and let him get through this season before saying anything,
Ken Blinston
pedro

Post by pedro »

Ken wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:08 pm Dom is still the best winger in super league, anybody can damage a thumb, get of his back and let him get through this season before saying anything,
your having a laugh? anyone can damage a knee etc, hes damaging something every week, on his best day he wasnt as good as Burgess on his best day but didnt stop people slagging him off and him being released
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:11 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:08 pm Dom is still the best winger in super league, anybody can damage a thumb, get of his back and let him get through this season before saying anything,
your having a laugh? anyone can damage a knee etc, hes damaging something every week, on his best day he wasnt as good as Burgess on his best day but didnt stop people slagging him off and him being released
Have to disagree Dom on his best day was better than Burgess because his game was better overall.

Thats not to say i don't think burgess was a brilliant winger.

I rated pre union Charnley better than both but obviously something went on their 😂
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I couldn't really say whether Dom is good, great or average TBH. He hasn't had a long enough run to prove his quality.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think for me, you can see that Dom has last pace! No two ways about that imo!

That said, Id certainly choose him over Bibby and Joe Burgess.

I agree with others, it's hard to analyse considering his playing time over the past few seasons.

To be fair to lad, we all know he's had it rough and has done well to return. I don't think I've ever seen him have a poor game since his return (s) though??
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:45 pm
pedro wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:11 pm
Have to disagree Dom on his best day was better than Burgess because his game was better overall.

Thats not to say i don't think burgess was a brilliant winger.

I rated pre union Charnley better than both but obviously something went on their 😂
not pre australia, no chance