Lam previews Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Lam previews Leigh

Post by josie andrews »

Head coach looks ahead to Wigan’s opening round bout with Leigh.

Lam: “We are looking forward to the challenge.”

Leigh Centurions v Wigan Warriors, Friday 26th March, K.O. 8:15pm

Head coach Adrian Lam is ‘looking forward to the challenge’ of facing Super League newboys Leigh Centurions on Friday night (K.O. 8:15pm).

The fixture will unfold on neutral ground at Emerald Headingley Stadium as part of a double header which will see St Helens take on Salford Red Devils in the early kick off (6pm).

Speaking to the media via Zoom link ahead of the game, the Papua New Guinean discussed the fresh test that the Centurions pose.

“I think they will win a lot of games and cause a lot of upsets.

“We know what they are about and what to expect. We know they will come out the blocks at one hundred miles an hour, and we’re ready for that.”

With Leigh being one of the three sides Wigan will play three times in the 2021 fixture list, Lam explained how excitement for the encounter will grow as the season develops

“We are looking forward to the challenge. It’s a massive game. Both clubs are always at each other’s throats. No doubt we will cross paths later in the season with crowds and it will get the audience it deserves.”

The head coach is no stranger to the local rivalry between the two sides, having been involved in meetings in his playing days.

He said: “I’ve had the fortune, or misfortune of playing against Leigh away. It was a 2002 Challenge Cup game at Hilton Park. It poured down with rain and there was a lot of fan nuisance going on before the game. But Andrew Farrell stepped up and owned the game, which was an amazing performance I remember quite clearly.

“Going there is always tough. There’s a rivalry between both clubs, it’s a love-hate relationship and that will be no different on Friday night.”

Lam also provided updates on his side ahead of Wednesday’s 21-man squad update.

“Bevan French won’t be considered in round one. Jackson [Hastings], we will make a decision on this week. Not sure if he is quite where he needs to be physically so another week would do him great.

“Dom Manfredi will miss round one with a small fracture to his thumb, Liam Marshall too who’s out till May and there’s also some doubt over Gildart. So a few players missing out.

The head coach also discussed the availability of Jai Field, who would be in line to make his debut for the Cherry and Whites.

“He’s all good. We’ve just making sure he’s up to speed with what we are doing both in attack and defence. We will hold back until the last day to make a decision on him.”

Make sure you don’t miss a minute of Tommy’s time as captain – stay in touch with all the action in 2021 by ordering a season ticket now!

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/03/ ... ews-leigh/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Lam previews Leigh

Post by Firestarter »

Buzzing now cant wait...... tierney and russell very suspect under high balls so we should defo pressure both...... personally i wouldnt start zak at fullback..... ide go
1 field
2 bibby
3 bateman
4 hardaker
5 hanley/an other
6 hastings
7 tommy

Smith on bench for cover.......we should murder them in pack tbh
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Leigh - promoted by committee.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

Hardaker has already said hes starting at 1
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

pedro wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:48 am Hardaker has already said hes starting at 1
Could that be a ploy?
bertina

Post by bertina »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:19 pm Buzzing now cant wait...... tierney and russell very suspect under high balls so we should defo pressure both...... personally i wouldnt start zak at fullback..... ide go
1 field
2 bibby
3 bateman
4 hardaker
5 hanley/an other
6 hastings
7 tommy

Leave Bateman in the second row for me. If we have to play a forward at centre, use Isa.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

bertina wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:56 am
Firestarter wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:19 pm Buzzing now cant wait...... tierney and russell very suspect under high balls so we should defo pressure both...... personally i wouldnt start zak at fullback..... ide go
1 field
2 bibby
3 bateman
4 hardaker
5 hanley/an other
6 hastings
7 tommy

Leave Bateman in the second row for me. If we have to play a forward at centre, use Isa.
Loose Forward
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 am
pedro wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:48 am Hardaker has already said hes starting at 1
Could that be a ploy?
Doubt it, you really think the club needs to be that calculated?

Embarrassing if true.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:53 pm
Firestarter wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 am
Could that be a ploy?
Doubt it, you really think the club needs to be that calculated?

Embarrassing if true.
Im sure lammy will pick the team at the last minute with all the ifs and maybe’s...... theres also conditions...... ive already said ide play bateman centre but ide probably go isa if conditions are bad..... maybe it will be the same with zak
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Would it help if we all turned up with our boots on Friday so there was a chance of us raising a team?