George William's released by Canberra

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dan2266

Re: George William's released by Canberra

Post by Dan2266 »

Firestarter wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:07 am
josie andrews wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:07 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:08 am From what I see Bevan French is very happy at wigan My money is on him staying. He is a family man why would he be having builders starting extension on his home in next week if he was going back. We will see .
Thought Bevan was living in George Williams house in Springfield 🤔
Two words josie…….spanner and works
Bevan is being demoted to the extension now the Landlord is back :lol: :lol:
Wes

Post by Wes »

Is that a hint Dan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wes wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:57 am Is that a hint Dan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No Mate,

All I know is he had a 4 year deal agreed starting 2022.

Now, Wigan are trying to sign him immediately.

Id assume the next thing I hear is he has signed a contract, weather that be Wigan or elsewhere.

As soon as I know, you will all know, you may all find out at the same time as I do. its not guaranteed that I will know before its official.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:18 am
DaveO wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:11 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:48 am

George was homesick from day one, he is a home bird.
Should never have gone then. I have long thought players need to examine why they really want to go to Oz more carefully than they seem to do.

When Pat Richards came here he used his RL ability to get him a job so he could experience life in the UK and Europe. The motivation wasn't the RL but the chance to experience living here and look how long he stayed. He could have earned more by staying put in the NRL. A positive attitude and reasons beyond RL to go and live somewhere else.

I am sure the offer of lots of $$$$ has a huge influence on players wanting to go to the NRL and we always here about the "challenge" of it (which to be honest I take with pinch of salt) but if you are only going for those reasons and have no desire to actually experience living in another country then in my opinion homesickness is almost guaranteed.

The players tend to be young when they go so maybe aren't the wisest (but Richards was when he came here) and I suspect they have their heads turned by agents pretty easily but someone needs to sit down with them and ask them are they going for the right reasons.
Fully agree with that statement Dave! Always say the grass isn’t always greener but more often the money is!
It’s always about money at the end of the day,sometimes it works but more often than not it ends like this,if Gildart goes I fully expect him back within two years too
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

It might just stop the Aussies nicking our players. First Bateman and now George. Wonder what West’s are thinking if they have signed Gildart.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Graham1 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:53 pm It might just stop the Aussies nicking our players. First Bateman and now George. Wonder what West’s are thinking if they have signed Gildart.
Gildart hasn't cost them anything, and its only a 2 year deal. not quite the same as if they had paid a vast amount and had him tied down for 3/4 years. Gildart will be free to talk to clubs 18 months after he arrives, Wests probably already know he will see out that contract and then return home. even if he sees out a year and is released, he cost them nothing
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

It’s not just the money which I agree is important but also the disruption it causes in the camp when a player is unsettled and the bad press that goes with it. Raiders are struggling at the moment and this won’t help their cause. Does not lead to good team performances on the field. I hope Sutton is homesick as well because he would suit us fine. Hopefully will put them off recruiting over here. But I agree money talks and careers are short.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

It's not Williams house having extension
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

If you all want a laugh read this.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... rl-release

I don't know what's funnier, the fact he genuinely thinks Wigan couldn't afford him, or the fact Sky actually pay him to write this shit.
kevbrown1980

Post by kevbrown1980 »

I read that and thought exactly the same!