Williams as it stands.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: Williams as it stands.

Post by widdenoldboy »

southportcdm wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:25 pm Keep on posting Dan and please don't worry about any negative comments. We all know how quickly things can change in sport.
+1 don't forget the forum is exactly for this, don't let the "Jedi Knights" on here put you off.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

irl_warr wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:18 pm First post and a little dramatic, but my source at Salford (through Budge) is absolutely sure GW has signed up for Wire, did so on Friday. He wanted a new challenge in fresh environment. Pretty sure Trueman will follow Powell for 2022 also.

Dan if you ask your source today, I am more than sure they will go cold on the deal happening :roll:

Ive heard nothing for a few days, so it may all of changed
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Just keep posting dan…… we all get knockers on here and will always disagree from time to time…… I personally never take it to heart and realise that sometimes im right or wrong( as are all the posters on here)…… isnt that what keeps it interesting?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
JimmyMagnets

Post by JimmyMagnets »

First thing I look for on here are Dan's posts . Keeps it interesting on here . Keep it up Dan.![emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I may be one of the few on here but I am not overly thrilled with the potential of signing Williams.

We never really replaced Matty Smith who was a good game manager, field kicker, organiser, safe per of hands. He allowed others around him to excel and allowed Blake Green to play as a traditional 6.

I worry that a partnership of Williams and Smith will lack:
- Good field kicking
- Organisation
- Game Management
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:17 pm I may be one of the few on here but I am not overly thrilled with the potential of signing Williams.

We never really replaced Matty Smith who was a good game manager, field kicker, organiser, safe per of hands. He allowed others around him to excel and allowed Blake Green to play as a traditional 6.

- Good field kicking
- Organisation
- Game Management
The hope has to be that Smith is the man for that job. I know you’ve questioned his ability to do that on here and RLFans but he’s been given very little responsibility on that score so far, with Hastings and Leuluai always taking the lead when he’s alongside one of them.

He was exceptional on that score in that England vs Oz academy series and whilst it clearly a big step up, we can’t write him off before he is given the opportunity to run the side.

I think it’s a potentially great pairing long term. Williams is brilliant close to the line in ferrying those kicks weighted in the in goal and that’s an area Smith has struggled with. They’ll both offer a running threat and I do think Williams has learned to take on more responsibility in his NRL time.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:57 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:17 pm I may be one of the few on here but I am not overly thrilled with the potential of signing Williams.

- Good field kicking
- Organisation
- Game Management
The hope has to be that Smith is the man for that job. I know you’ve questioned his ability to do that on here and RLFans but he’s been given very little responsibility on that score so far, with Hastings and Leuluai always taking the lead when he’s alongside one of them.

He was exceptional on that score in that England vs Oz academy series and whilst it clearly a big step up, we can’t write him off before he is given the opportunity to run the side.

I think it’s a potentially great pairing long term. Williams is brilliant close to the line in ferrying those kicks weighted in the in goal and that’s an area Smith has struggled with. They’ll both offer a running threat and I do think Williams has learned to take on more responsibility in his NRL time.
Fingers crossed it works out that way if we do get Williams.

I agree on the running threat, both have excellent running games.

Let's hope Smith continues his progression this year and develops more towards the player that many have seen in the academy.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Williams officially a free agent now. Things should move fast
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Official: George Williams is a free agent - will he return to Wigan Warriors?

George Williams has officially severed ties with Canberra Raiders, paving the way for a return to Super League.

The NRL outfit revealed last month he was being released early from his contract because he was homesick, though they later admitted there was a "legal stand-off" as he had not agreed to the release.

But in the early hours of this morning, the Raiders confirmed in a brief statement he had now departed.

The statement reads: "The Canberra Raiders can confirm that George Williams has been officially released by the club.

Williams finishes his career with the Raiders playing 32 matches since making his club debut at the beginning of the 2020 season.

"The Raiders would like to wish George all the best for the future."

Canberra paid Wigan a six-figure transfer fee to land him at the end of 2019 on a three-year deal and now, the England international is free to join a new club.

Wigan and Warrington are both keen to get him on board and are believed to be the front-runners for his signature.

Leeds, Wakefield and even Championship outfit Newcastle have admitted making offers, but are not thought to be in the running.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rs-3266176
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wigan are still confident he will sign.

they think he has had 2 other offers from super league clubs.