Warriors coach 'embarrassed' after 'car-crash' capitulation

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors coach 'embarrassed' after 'car-crash' capitulation

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam pulled no punches after Wigan's 48-0 drubbing against Catalans, which he admitted was a 'car-crash' of a performance that 'embarrassed' the club.

Warriors' 100 per cent record in Super League was utterly shredded in the south of France as a Dragons side featuring a number of ex-Wigan men ran riot.

And the Warriors coach offered up no excuses for, by his own admission, his worst experience as a coach.

"I thought we were pretty poor," Lam acknowledged. "I just don't think we were ever in the game at all.

We embarrassed ourselves out there. We embarrassed the club.

"It was the kind of performance that we haven't had in my time here.

"Admittedly we haven't always been great over the last few weeks and, to some extent, a loss was coming.

"Today was obviously that day. But to that extent? I just didn't see that.

“ I just don't understand how it got to that point. It hurts.

"It was a horror...a car crash really."

Warriors were extremely fortunate to go in to the break only 16-0 down, such was Catalans' dominance.

But FOUR more tries in the space of 10 minutes shortly after the restart put the Warriors well and truly out of their misery.

"We had a couple of opportunities early, but then again mistakes came and got us.

"It probably should have been even worse at half-time to be honest, because there were alarming signs from early in the game," Lam recognised.

"We needed to score first and early in the second half to have any kind of chance.

"But you give away a penalty on the first defensive set and it's just more of the same.

"It's always a reality check to lose...but by that much?

"We had a lot of players with injuries - and I'm not using that as an excuse - but playing Catalans away, in the form they're in, you've got to be on your best game.

"We never showed any indication there was a performance like that coming.

"I'm still shell-shocked to be honest...how it went from bad to worse, and everything we did just didn't work."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... on-3255261
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Re: Warriors coach 'embarrassed' after 'car-crash' capitulation

Post by jaws1 »

"We never showed any indication there was a performance like that coming.

We have been lucky and won scrappy with the games we played the writing was on the cards it only needed a good team to beat us we only just won against Salford ,Warrington thrashed them .
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Most people on here and social media could see this result coming since the season started, sorry no one can say wigan have been playing well so far always likely especially after the Hull result in the cup once Wigan started facing decent sides there'd be a price to pay if they didn't get on with things.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

It's amazing how he says that they never saw that coming yet post on both forums he been saying we are going to get hammered the moment we play a decent team.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

He should be embarrassed. We will now see what he is made of!
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

That car crash he speaks of is the car he is driving!!

Time to let someone else take the wheel
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Personally I think we’ve been poor all year. Struggled past Leigh twice, fitness saw us through, Struggled against Salford, Absolutley embarrassing tonight, beat Hull FC with the help of the officials. The only decent performance was when we beat Wakefield.

Something has to give and for me its Lam out the door. After the past few performances zak can go as well. The worst thing he did was claim he was the best fullback. Id have Sam back in a heartbeat.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I seen this coming a few weeks back. I knew we would get a drubbing sooner or later.
And if no one at the club, especially Lam, didn’t see this coming their is something wrong
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

Lam admitted to seeing it coming but he doesn’t have the capabilities to avoid it.
Our performances since Lam arrived have been nothing short of woeful. He’s had the opportunity to mould the team to how he wants them to play and to implement his tactics/strategy but unfortunately his ideas are not good enough. I’m sorry but he is the cause of all this and has to go.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Hattster wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:03 am Lam admitted to seeing it coming but he doesn’t have the capabilities to avoid it.
Our performances since Lam arrived have been nothing short of woeful. He’s had the opportunity to mould the team to how he wants them to play and to implement his tactics/strategy but unfortunately his ideas are not good enough. I’m sorry but he is the cause of all this and has to go.
Oh right, I didn’t see his interview.
But he hasn’t made himself look good then. Because if you could see it coming, a good coach would of done something to avoid it