In a nutshell.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: In a nutshell.

Post by Southern Softy »

Permission to be a bit brutal here.
If you are a rich man (and I'm not talking about IL here who has put serious money into the club, as I understand it) and are then invited to join the Board of the club or have some major say in running the club, then the only reason for you being there is to cough up some cash for the club.
If you are not going to 'invest' then anyone of us on the forum would love to be in the position of sitting in the Director's Box (theroretical) and playing at being an important man at the club. We have no money but bags of enthusiasm. Sadly, that's not enough so if no money is going into the club, then, thank you but can we get someone who will invest.

I have no wish to see us slither down the Bradford Northern route but poor performances because of lack of quality on the field will see attendances drop and a downward spiral commence.

We need an intervention. We could be lucky and find an inexpensive new coach who can turn an average team into winners or we may have to spend and import some quality at coach and player level. Either way, something will have to change to arrest this ominous-seeming slide.
And I'm not basing this on one defeat at Cats, awful though it was.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Southern Softy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:49 pm Permission to be a bit brutal here.
If you are a rich man (and I'm not talking about IL here who has put serious money into the club, as I understand it) and are then invited to join the Board of the club or have some major say in running the club, then the only reason for you being there is to cough up some cash for the club.
If you are not going to 'invest' then anyone of us on the forum would love to be in the position of sitting in the Director's Box (theroretical) and playing at being an important man at the club. We have no money but bags of enthusiasm. Sadly, that's not enough so if no money is going into the club, then, thank you but can we get someone who will invest.

I have no wish to see us slither down the Bradford Northern route but poor performances because of lack of quality on the field will see attendances drop and a downward spiral commence.

We need an intervention. We could be lucky and find an inexpensive new coach who can turn an average team into winners or we may have to spend and import some quality at coach and player level. Either way, something will have to change to arrest this ominous-seeming slide.

That's basically my point, but you have worded it better than I did. Dansons a Billionaire business man, joined the club, presumably knowing the state its in, so why join if the plan isn't to invest?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:58 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:49 pm Permission to be a bit brutal here.

That's basically my point, but you have worded it better than I did. Dansons a Billionaire business man, joined the club, presumably knowing the state its in, so why join if the plan isn't to invest?
Ego.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

If the club really is going to go through a 'financial re-set' as a result of the problems arising from covid I could understand it. However, the chairman needs to be open about the situation and let us know what the plans are. I'm sure that most of the people who have supported the club financially during the past two seasons didn't do so in the expectation that we were not aiming to be competitive in 2022. Fans will continue to support a team in transition so long as they know it is a transition and not a new normal. Even die-hard fans won't put up with being taken for mugs and they won't keep paying up if they think they're being taken for a ride. If the club intend to just go through the motions next season it's likely that many fans will take at least one season off too.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I would have loved to have seen George back at Wigan he is a terrific player who will continue to improve and added to that he is a great bloke off the pitch.

Money talks and Wire have been willing to stump up, Wigan appear to have decided that the price was too high and I am fine with that. The management need to do what they think is right for the club, not just at the present but going forward. Now, I am expecting the Club to spend up to the salary cap in 2022 and I will be disappointed if they do not. We have a number of players coming off contract and leaving so you would expect that a number of new faces will be recruited. If that is not the case, then I think the Club should level with its supporters. Honesty is important and I, for one, could accept cutbacks at the Club if the owner, or CEO, explained the situation. On the other hand, if the powers that be are planning to recruit then why not give us some good news.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

southportcdm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:18 pm If the club really is going to go through a 'financial re-set' as a result of the problems arising from covid I could understand it. However, the chairman needs to be open about the situation and let us know what the plans are. I'm sure that most of the people who have supported the club financially during the past two seasons didn't do so in the expectation that we were not aiming to be competitive in 2022. Fans will continue to support a team in transition so long as they know it is a transition and not a new normal. Even die-hard fans won't put up with being taken for mugs and they won't keep paying up if they think they're being taken for a ride. If the club intend to just go through the motions next season it's likely that many fans will take at least one season off too.

Chariots has just posted a quote from IL in March.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Listen, Wigan are working on things in the background, but none of it is spectacular, the names being banded about are not what we need.

Plus add to what I said about Lawler, Holmes, Mulhern, King & Now Williams... that's 5 players that other clubs have signed from a rival club because they were prepared to pay more than us wages wise.

Add into that Bullock going to Warrington, it seems to be most clubs that are prepared to outspend us on wages.

so then begs the question, are other clubs all paying the norm and not "above odds" and Wigan are simply just scrimping and wont even pay the going rate for players?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

A billionaire would not seek to "invest" in RL.

It would be a hobby. For a relatively tiny (almost unnoticeable) amount of money, they could assemble the best team on the planet.

This is not football.,
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wintergreen wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:51 pm A billionaire would not seek to "invest" in RL.

It would be a hobby. For a relatively tiny (almost unnoticeable) amount of money, they could assemble the best team on the planet.

This is not football.,
Finally someone gets it :lol:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:10 pm Short career Josie, money talks. Wire is more attractive than Wigan anyway at the moment. We are like the Man Utd of Super League. Huge tradition and history, but heading in the wrong direction, Wire on the other hand are like City. big spenders to try and get the big trophy that alludes them.
Very true & it kills me to say it!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan