Carney GB Vice Captain

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sutty

Carney GB Vice Captain

Post by Sutty »

I have just been on the BBC website and it has reported that Brian Carney has ben appointed Vice Captain of the GB team. I wouldnt have thought he had had a good enough season to be a given the appointment, whether he is experienced enough or not.

Fraggle

Re: Carney GB Vice Captain

Post by Fraggle »

Sutty posted:
I wouldnt have thought he had had a good enough season to be a given
... a place in the team, given that he's missed the vast majority of the season and Friday was the first time in a long time he's looked even a little bit interested.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Wahey :lol:
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Iwould have thought Raynor and Calderwood would have to be the GB wings based on Carney's season. He's not even fit yet - how can he even be in the squad!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Mike posted:
Iwould have thought Raynor and Calderwood would have to be the GB wings based on Carney's season. He's not even fit yet - how can he even be in the squad!
he wasnt fit for us last season but look what he did in the try nations,and with a break if we dont make play offs hell be great again :cool:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Doug Stand posted:
I think it's great that an Irishman is captaining the team...my only problem is that the team shoulod be called the Lions or the official term the British and Irish Lions and not Great Britain.
Also...I think his nationality may have helped in the appointment in an attempt to spread the word of RL to other countries i.e Ireland.
Being vice-captain of the team... will still not guarantee a start for him. Although... I think I actually would play him in the first because he'll have so much to prove going to Aus and all...
The crest on the right breast has BRITISH ISLES XIII written beneath it. It is just the media and most fans that call them Great Britain.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Sutty posted:
I have just been on the BBC website and it has reported that Brian Carney has ben appointed Vice Captain of the GB team. I wouldnt have thought he had had a good enough season to be a given the appointment, whether he is experienced enough or not.
I get it is April 1st.

Good Joke.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Sutty posted:
I wouldnt have thought he had had a good enough season to be a given the appointment, whether he is experienced enough or not.
I agree his play doesn't deserve a place in the team never mind being appointed vide-captain.

The vice-captaincy is one issue and I am not bothered one way or the other about that to he honest but him being in the squad just shows how badly off we are for GB players.

He has basically been picked on reputation not on form and you should never do that.

If we didn't have so many overseas players in our league I am sure we would have plenty of alternatives to Carney. It makes me mad to think a player can play about 10 games looking disinterested for his club and then waltz into the GB team.

You are supposed to earn your place by playing well for your club and he certainly has not done that this season!

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doug Stand posted:

It always breaks me up when I see him and the English National anthem being played...
Why and in what way does it break you up?

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doug Stand posted:
DaveO posted:
Doug Stand posted:

It always breaks me up when I see him and the English National anthem being played...
Why and in what way does it break you up?

Dave
As I said Dave...I'm not going to go into the politics of UK and Ireland and also I have no idea whether Brian Carney is comfortable with the situation... but the fact is Brian Carney is not English and it's not his country's anthem.

He just looks embarrased by the whole things like he know he's gong to get slated when he comes home.
Well I suppose that says more about the people doing the slating than Carney. All he has to do is keep a straight face. If he feels he has to look uncomfortable to appease anyone it is very silly.
I just think that if you are going to play another person from another country then they either change nationalities and claim countries citenship or play his national anthem and describe the country in the team.
They did actuall refer to them as GB & Ireland and I just think for respect to Brian Carney and Ireland they should do the same.
Well the team is GB & I and it is not the RFL who refer to it as otherwise.

I am not sure what anthem they should play for the GB & I matches because playing four (Eng, Scot, Ire and Wales) is a none starter IMO.

If we went that route given the NZ teams is made up quite often from a multitude South Sea Islanders that also have their own national anthems there wouldn't be time for the game if they adopted the same idea.

Dave