Goalkicking

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Re: Goalkicking

Post by pearsy »

Been a problem for a number of years at the club remember seeing several players having a go in one match including Tomkins Charnley and Williams Never been good since Richards left
endoman

Post by endoman »

We had Charlie Hodgson as a kicking coach back in 2017. I wonder if there is such a role being undertaken by anyone now at the club? It seems a very amateurish way to throw points away each game. Pretty sure Pat and Frano didn't become exceptional by accident...
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

I know it does not seem it at the moment, but Harry Smith is a very good kicker, Seen him on many occasions in the academy and he kicks them for fun. But at the moment there is so much pressure on the halves to deliver he is sadly lacking confidence and the interception pass he threw would not have helped and neither is Tommy or Powell. He has to be alongside Hastings to help him progress because he has to better next year. I think Hastings is doing enough already without him we would have been 2 tries less yesterday. Unfortunately, Jackson is trying to do too hard to put things right but its impossible with the current front row we have. Judging by our performances I dont think we need to worry about goalkicking on Sunday, we need to score a try first.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Some years back, when everyone was complaining that Matty Smith's goal-kicking percentage wasn't high enough... :D

Somebody did some number-crunching and found out that if our average had gone up to something considered good (say, high 70s), it would have hardly affected the results of any game. Yes, our conversion rate is appalling and ought to be improved, but whilst we continue to leak tries and cannot score them ourselves, goal-kicking will remain a side-issue.