Squad for Wednesday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cherry toffee

Re: Squad for Wednesday

Post by cherry toffee »

All this debate about who plays fullback,and before that who plays centre just highlights, for me, how Lam has lost the plot. Surely if Hanley is to be judged whether he's good enough it should be in his natural position. Same with Hallsall in the centre Lam played Shorrocks for his first game ever at centre instead of him what message does that send to the young lads.no wonder the teams lacking in confidence
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

How many times did Kris Rads play on the wing before he got his first shot at full back?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

A blind man could have played on the wing for us ( and done well)when radlinski was coming through…… the quality was that good then
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

The point I was making is Hanley not being selected at full back when no other fullback is available,Radlinski was picked for experience whilst normal fullback was playing
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Its true, but we chose not to play KR at full back back then for his developement. Now we're saying because we have no recognised full back and we're playing very badly, we should drop this young kid straight in. Clearly the plan for Hanley was to give him some first team experience and let him develop.

Maybe its the right thing to do to forget about the damage this could do to one player's development when the team need a short-term fix, let him sink or swim? But I would say that the coaching staff almost certinly had a plan for Hanley and it look like their following that to me.

I don't know what's the right thing to do TBH, but these decisions are not made because the head coach is an idiot. These are professional RL coaches making decisions that they think benefit the development of players and therefore the longer term health of the club, and weight those against the short-term success on the field. You might not agree with what they decide to do, but I'd say people in the club are giving this a lot of thought, and aren't idiots.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

If the decisions regarding Hanley and Hallsall have been made with their future development in mind those are valid points Mike but they don't explain management decisions to not recall Hankinson when we are short of both centres and goal kickers when he does both, even if was only for a short period
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:50 pm How many times did Kris Rads play on the wing before he got his first shot at full back?
Don’t know, how many? Who was playing fullback whilst he was on the wing? Did we have a good team at the time and therefore we were able to ease him into the first team?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

cherry toffee wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:12 pm If the decisions regarding Hanley and Hallsall have been made with their future development in mind those are valid points Mike but they don't explain management decisions to not recall Hankinson when we are short of both centres and goal kickers when he does both, even if was only for a short period
They do

Hankinson showed nothing when he did play in SL

Don't need a kicker when you can't score tries
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

I'm not saying Hankinson is a world beater but how many games did he actually play at centre? And maybe if we p!ayed backs in the backs we may score some trys in which case a good kicker would be rather usefull
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

cherry toffee wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:54 pm I'm not saying Hankinson is a world beater but how many games did he actually play at centre? And maybe if we p!ayed backs in the backs we may score some trys in which case a good kicker would be rather usefull
And also that would allow us to play forwards in the forwards :o