Attack

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Attack

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Our attack seems to be made up of two Australian’s, one injured and back home and the other playing out of position. Smith looks like he needs a couple of weeks on the sidelines whilst Tommy looks a shadow of his former self. It is a pity Field is not available to partner Hastings. I don’t foresee any excitement soon☹️
bertina

Re: Attack

Post by bertina »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:52 pm Our attack seems to be made up of two Australian’s, one injured and back home and the other playing out of position. Smith looks like he needs a couple of weeks on the sidelines whilst Tommy looks a shadow of his former self. It is a pity Field is not available to partner Hastings. I don’t foresee any excitement soon☹️
I agree with most of your post, but I have to say I feel a bit sorry for Harry Smith.
He is playing behind a pack that is getting murdered most weeks, he’s receiving passes from the slowest acting half back in SL, and getting zero help from Tommy who is offering absolutely nothing.
The lad is on a hiding to nothing.
Charriots Offiah

bertina wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:14 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:52 pm Our attack seems to be made up of two Australian’s, one injured and back home and the other playing out of position. Smith looks like he needs a couple of weeks on the sidelines whilst Tommy looks a shadow of his former self. It is a pity Field is not available to partner Hastings. I don’t foresee any excitement soon☹️
I agree with most of your post, but I have to say I feel a bit sorry for Harry Smith.
He is playing behind a pack that is getting murdered most weeks, he’s receiving passes from the slowest acting half back in SL, and getting zero help from Tommy who is offering absolutely nothing.
I agree with you. I think a couple of weeks rest and then a return playing with Hastings would help him.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:53 pm
I agree with you. I think a couple of weeks rest and then a return playing with Hastings would help him.
Who would you rest him for? What forward do you want playing in the backs now???
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Charriots Offiah

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:03 pm
Who would you rest him for? What forward do you want playing in the backs now???
Not if Hastings plays in his true position and Tommy plays alongside him. Why would we need to play a forward in his position? Do you think that we should continue with Smith at halfback and Hastings at fullback? That’s working well!
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:16 pm

Not if Hastings plays in his true position and Tommy plays alongside him. Why would we need to play a forward in his position? Do you think that we should continue with Smith at halfback and Hastings at fullback? That’s working well!
Why on Earth should we be partnering Hastings with Tommy? What experience does Smith acquire playing alongside someone as poor as Tommy is performing now? Hastings and Tommy leave at seasons end and the only possible replacement you want having splinters in his arse whilst watching this mess from the sidelines!

I have no doubt Smith is not playing well. He is not the only one. Our best combination is (and I've been banging the drum since the close season) is Smith and Hastings with TL interchanging with Powell. Only Lam and the happyclappers think what they are seeing at the moment is "fine"
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

Smith shouldn’t be anywhere near the team at the moment. He isn’t playing good enough and needs dropping. Leuluai and Hastings should be our halfback partnership.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Smith needs to be in the halves with Hastings. Sure, Smith has made mistakes through errors of judgement in the last few games but he's often been the only one trying to make things happen. Leuluai hasn't made some poor drop outs because he doesn't take them as he can hardly kick the ball more than 20 metres. Leuluai hasn't thrown intercept passes in recent games because he so rarely, if ever, gets the ball as 2nd receiver and looks for the crucial pass. Leuluai hasn't kicked wildly out on the full on the last tackle because Leuluai hardly ever kicks the ball.

Smith makes mistakes but he also does make things happen. He creates opportunities, he puts players through gaps, he supports, he puts in smart kicks, he creates tries. He's not done it enough this year but neither have a lot of our players. He's flawed, but at times his pairing with Hastings worked well.

What opportunities has Leuluai created? How many times has he put players through gaps? Where's his support play? Where are his smart kicks? Where are the tries he's created?

Real captains knock from Tommy this year. 8 game. 0 tries. 0 assists. 7 attacking kicks. 12 kicks in play.

When the team is doing it tough you want your captain to lead by example. You want him to be one of the best performers. He want him to take control, to make the decisions, to be a calm presence. When things have been tough this season we've barely even seen Leuluai.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

EagleEyePie wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:50 pm Smith needs to be in the halves with Hastings. Sure, Smith has made mistakes through errors of judgement in the last few games but he's often been the only one trying to make things happen. Leuluai hasn't made some poor drop outs because he doesn't take them as he can hardly kick the ball more than 20 metres. Leuluai hasn't thrown intercept passes in recent games because he so rarely, if ever, gets the ball as 2nd receiver and looks for the crucial pass. Leuluai hasn't kicked wildly out on the full on the last tackle because Leuluai hardly ever kicks the ball.

Smith makes mistakes but he also does make things happen. He creates opportunities, he puts players through gaps, he supports, he puts in smart kicks, he creates tries. He's not done it enough this year but neither have a lot of our players. He's flawed, but at times his pairing with Hastings worked well.

What opportunities has Leuluai created? How many times has he put players through gaps? Where's his support play? Where are his smart kicks? Where are the tries he's created?

Real captains knock from Tommy this year. 8 game. 0 tries. 0 assists. 7 attacking kicks. 12 kicks in play.

When the team is doing it tough you want your captain to lead by example. You want him to be one of the best performers. He want him to take control, to make the decisions, to be a calm presence. When things have been tough this season we've barely even seen Leuluai.
+1! TL is the experienced player and should be taking the lead, instead he’s leaving it to smith and it’s too much for the kid atm. Tommy has been a good servant to the club but he’s played on a season or 2 too long for me. Absolute passenger when it comes to attacking play, nothing but a couple of big hits in D a game isn’t good enough to be a starting half for Wigan in my opinion.
Charriots Offiah

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:37 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:16 pm

Why on Earth should we be partnering Hastings with Tommy? What experience does Smith acquire playing alongside someone as poor as Tommy is performing now? Hastings and Tommy leave at seasons end and the only possible replacement you want having splinters in his arse whilst watching this mess from the sidelines!

I have no doubt Smith is not playing well. He is not the only one. Our best combination is (and I've been banging the drum since the close season) is Smith and Hastings with TL interchanging with Powell. Only Lam and the happyclappers think what they are seeing at the moment is "fine"
My view is that Smith needs a couple of weeks on the sidelines he is shot. Then he needs to partner Hastings. Why would you pick Tommy in the 17 if he is playing so poorly? Surely, that is wasting a substitution? Again, why would we have to play another forward in the backs?