Tony Clubb

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Tony Clubb

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan boss Adrian Lam has revealed that prop forward Tony Clubb is set to retire at the end of 2021

The Londoner will be in contention to play his first game since receiving an eight-match ban back for using ‘unacceptable language based on national or ethnic origin’ against Hull FC’s Andre Savelio in May this year.

But, despite returning to action, Clubb will be hanging his boots up at the end of the year.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/super-le ... ire-40884/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: Tony Clubb

Post by morley pie eater »

Good luck to him.

To some, Clubb suffers from not being world class. I'm just glad the internet wasn't around in the days of John Barton, Brian Case, Andy Coley and others who contributed massively to the team in their day without being world beaters. (And no, I'm not necessarily saying he's as good as any of them. Just that there seems to be a trend to criticising players if they don't meet some folks' expectations.)
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:49 pm Good luck to him.

To some, Clubb suffers from not being world class. I'm just glad the internet wasn't around in the days of John Barton, Brian Case, Andy Coley and others who contributed massively to the team in their day without being world beaters. (And no, I'm not necessarily saying he's as good as any of them. Just that there seems to be a trend to criticising players if they don't meet some folks' expectations.)
thats very similar to a point i have tried to make on a different thread. I've watched Wigan for almost 40 years, and the team has always had many unsung heroes. They do all the dirty work, so that the stars can do theirs. Even in the late 80s early 90s, we had many players like that so that Ellery, Gregory, Offiah, Robinson etc could ply their trades

Whilst i personally think Clubb should probably have retired a couple of years ago with some of the injuries / serious illness he has suffered, you cant knock the guy from keep bouncing back from the set-backs and determination to keep going

As with any former player, all you can hope is that the game hasnt battered their body to a point that they cant enjoy retirement
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I can’t say I recall Barton but Case and Coley would have had nothing to fear.

Comparisons with unsung heroes of yesteryear such as those and others like Neil Cowie are unfair on the those players as they were far better than what passes for today’s “unsung hero’s”. Case was hard as nails and none of them were asked to play on past their sell by dates.

It’s not Clubbs fault he has but in the era of Case, Coley and Cowie he’d have been long gone and so probably would not have attracted half the flak he has received recently when I don’t think a single poster on these pages thought the two year deal he was given was a good idea.

I hope the neck injury he had that kept him out for quite a while doesn’t affect him in his retirement and good luck to him for whatever he chooses to do next.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Went on too long really not the greatest but I admire any bloke that can play professionally

A genuinely nice man and I do wish him well with the future
morley pie eater

I knew that, whoever I gave as examples, someone would have to make direct comparisons despite my attempt at a disclaimer.

Pieman gets the point perfectly. I stuck to props, but could have said Ian Gildart or Ian Potter - the point is that the team needs solid reliable players to provide the platform that the stars can shine on. I'm sure Clubb has not been the best such player, but nevertheless deserves more than a detailed account of his shortcomings as he approaches the end of his career.

In my opinion.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:I knew that, whoever I gave as examples, someone would have to make direct comparisons despite my attempt at a disclaimer.

Pieman gets the point perfectly. I stuck to props, but could have said Ian Gildart or Ian Potter - the point is that the team needs solid reliable players to provide the platform that the stars can shine on. I'm sure Clubb has not been the best such player, but nevertheless deserves more than a detailed account of his shortcomings as he approaches the end of his career.

In my opinion.
You were saying or implying that Case and the rest would have been criticised if the internet was around. I don’t think they would have been for two reasons.

1. They were good players even if they weren’t the superstars of the team
2. They didn’t play on too long and were moved on or retired at the right time.

With Clubb it’s arguable he’s never been that good even though he was supposed to be a senior prop (and so not supposed to be a mere grafter) and he definitely has played on too long so I don’t see the parallel with Clubb with those players.

It’s funny you should mention Potter. I think if i recall correctly he was not offered a new deal at age 30. I was shocked at the time as I thought he was another very good player. So he’s another where i don’t see the parallel between him and Clubb.
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:23 pm
morley pie eater wrote:I knew that, whoever I gave as examples, someone would have to make direct comparisons despite my attempt at a disclaimer.

In my opinion.
You were saying or implying that Case and the rest would have been criticised if the internet was around. I don’t think they would have been for two reasons.

1. They were good players even if they weren’t the superstars of the team
2. They didn’t play on too long and were moved on or retired at the right time.

With Clubb it’s arguable he’s never been that good even though he was supposed to be a senior prop (and so not supposed to be a mere grafter) and he definitely has played on too long so I don’t see the parallel with Clubb with those players.

It’s funny you should mention Potter. I think if i recall correctly he was not offered a new deal at age 30. I was shocked at the time as I thought he was another very good player. So he’s another where i don’t see the parallel between him and Clubb.

yep never saw Case or Coley go missing like Clubb
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Good luck to him in his future plans

Should never have received the last extension but what do us fans know eh?

Wheels fell of our bus around the same time Clubby made his comment to Savelio and the club's never looked the same since. I seriously wonder if he singularly has brought division within the current player squad?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
morley pie eater

🤷‍♂️

Anyway, one of my all-time favourite memories watching Wigan was a couple of years ago at Headingley.

My son, who works in Leeds, managed to get 2 tickets for the newly-opened stand shared with the cricket ground.

Seconds from the end of a close game, Leeds messed up a kick, and the ball somehow dropped into Clubby's hands about 5 yards from the try line with no-one that close to him. He seemed to take a few seconds to assess the situation, lumbered off and scored to win the game!

I stood up and gave a long, loud YEEEEESSSSS!!!! Then realised that everything was silent around me.

Priceless!
Last edited by morley pie eater on Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐