Squad v Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Squad v Hull KR

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names the Wigan Warriors squad to face Hull KR this Friday.

Liam Farrell returns to the 21.

Hull Kingston Rovers v Wigan Warriors, Fri 13th August, Hull College Craven Park, K.O. 7:45pm.

Adrian Lam has named the Wigan Warriors 21-man squad to face Hull Kingston Rovers this Friday in Round 19 of the Betfred Super League.

The Warriors will be looking to make it three wins in a row when they take on Tony Smith’s side, with the hope of avenging their previous clash back in June when the Robins came out on top.

Team news

After being rested last week against Salford, Liam Farrell returns for selection, with young back Sam Halsall making way.

Oliver Gildart is again included despite missing out on the matchday squad the last two weeks as a late withdrawal through injury.

Brad Singleton and Oliver Partington will serve the second of their three and two-match bans respectively for Grade C (Punching) offences in Wigan’s win over Leigh in Round 17.

Injury news

Tommy Leuluai remains sidelined with a hamstring injury sustained against Leigh in Round 17.

Bevan French too continues recovery for a long-term hamstring injury.

Tickets are still available to away fans looking to make the journey to Hull College Craven Park on Friday. Click HERE https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/08/ ... s-on-sale/ for more information.

Wigan Warriors squad v Hull Kingston Rovers

3. Zak Hardaker
4. Oliver Gildart
5. Liam Marshall
6. Jai Field
9. Sam Powell
10. Joe Bullock
11. Willie Isa
12. Liam Farrell
13. John Bateman
15. Morgan Smithies
17. Tony Clubb
19. Liam Byrne
20. Harry Smith
21. Ethan Havard
22. Jake Bibby
23. Mitch Clark
25. Joe Shorrocks
27. Kai Pearce-Paul
30. Umyla Hanley
31. Jackson Hastings
33. Amir Bourouh

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/08/ ... v-hull-kr/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Re: Squad v Hull KR

Post by Southern Softy »

Disappointing that Halsall drops out. Definitely one for the future as well as the present and just being around the squad must help. Personally, I'd play him in front of Bibby on the right wing as I'm not convinced that Bibby will handle Ryan Hall well. Halsall's try against Salford when the defender was trying to remove his head was really impressive.

I'm assuming that Zak will play in the centre with Field doing his best in the halves for as long as he can.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Southern Softy wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:26 pm Disappointing that Halsall drops out. Definitely one for the future as well as the present and just being around the squad must help. Personally, I'd play him in front of Bibby on the right wing as I'm not convinced that Bibby will handle Ryan Hall well. Halsall's try against Salford when the defender was trying to remove his head was really impressive.

I'm assuming that Zak will play in the centre with Field doing his best in the halves for as long as he can.
I think Isa will be centre
JimmyMagnets

Post by JimmyMagnets »

Southern Softy wrote:Disappointing that Halsall drops out. Definitely one for the future as well as the present and just being around the squad must help. Personally, I'd play him in front of Bibby on the right wing as I'm not convinced that Bibby will handle Ryan Hall well. Halsall's try against Salford when the defender was trying to remove his head was really impressive.

Yes nothing was said about the Salford player nearly taking his head off when he was scoring! Think it was kev brown. Maybe we were the only 2 people to see it?[emoji848] [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Surely Zak will play at fullback and Hastings in the halves with field on the bench in case they tire,it proved last week that by moving Hastings back in the halves that we are more fluent,let's stop this nonsense now of playing players out of position before it is to late.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

The halfback/fullback balance for the next few games is a tricky one. We were much better with Zak at fullback and Jackson at 6 last week but I'd like to see Jai get more game time. We really need to find out what Jai is capable of before next season because I'm convinced the plan is to play Jai and Harry together. If this combination isn't going to work I'd rather know that for certain this season whilst we can still, in theory, do something about singings for next season. If we want to try Jai and Harry as a pair this season Jackson must play fullback (or even hooker?). I suppose a lot depends on weather we think we have a realistic chance of winnng the GF this season (I don't) or if we'll have more chance next year. If the coaching staff decide that the priority this week is to give Jai more game time they could always rest Harry and pair Jai with Jackson.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Suzieb wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:59 pm Surely Zak will play at fullback and Hastings in the halves with field on the bench in case they tire,it proved last week that by moving Hastings back in the halves that we are more fluent,let's stop this nonsense now of playing players out of position before it is to late.
One thing Lam doesn’t do is learn from his mistakes…
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Suzieb wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:59 pm Surely Zak will play at fullback and Hastings in the halves with field on the bench in case they tire,it proved last week that by moving Hastings back in the halves that we are more fluent,let's stop this nonsense now of playing players out of position before it is to late.
I bet Hastings starts at fullback!
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

I agree with the sentiments of Suzieb, Zak a must at FB, Hastings at HB, I would play Gildart on the right wing as he hasn't looked the part at all. Jake Bibby is playing better so keep him and Isa in the centre positions, Feild on the bench slowly slowly with him.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm
One thing Lam doesn’t do is learn from his mistakes…
I think the problem is that he doesn't regard them as mistakes, more that players have made the mistakes or not carried out his plan (obviously, I'm using the word 'plan' loosely here.)