Lam previews Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Lam previews Saints

Post by josie andrews »

Head coach Adrian Lam looks ahead to Friday’s Derby against St Helens.

Lam: “We know what’s ahead of us and we know it’s a really important part of the season for us. Our destiny is in our own hands.”

Wigan Warriors v St Helens, Friday 20th August, DW Stadium, 7:45pm K.O. Get your tickets NOW!

Adrian Lam admits Friday’s Derby against St Helens feels like the start of Play-Off rugby for Wigan Warriors.

The Cherry and Whites welcome local rivals Saints to the DW Stadium in Betfred Super League’s Rivals Round – aiming to get back to winning ways following last week’s defeat to Hull KR.

Despite saying it is the start of the ‘hardest part of the year’, head coach Lam believes it is a chance for Wigan to start to put a run of winning form together that will breed confidence and cement a spot in the real Play-Offs, which get underway in September.

“We’ve identified this as the hardest part of the year,” Lam said to the media in Tuesday’s pre-match press conference. “It suits us though with the plan we have. We just need to make sure we win the games to give ourselves a chance at the back end of the year with the Play-Offs.

We’re working really hard on finishing the season on our terms and putting some form together in the remains six games – if we can do that, the confidence will be there. We know what’s ahead of us and we know it’s a really important part of the season for us. Our destiny is in our own hands.”

A record attendance for the 2021 Betfred Super League is expected at the DW Stadium on Friday night as Wigan and Saints battle it out for local bragging rights.

It is set to be the biggest crowd at the DW since Wigan faced Warrington in January 2020, and Lam shared his excitement, saying the Derby ‘is as big as it gets’.

“Regardless where we are in the ladder, it’s always a massive game for both clubs. In the context of both teams coming into off the back of losses – the timing of it is good. We’re excited for it to be a massive crowd at the DW Stadium.

It’s a Grand Final replay, we’re at home, big crowd, Friday night – let’s go. This is as big as it gets this year.

“Last Friday was disappointing for us and I made that clear with everyone. I’m looking for a response that’s needed on Friday. We’ve got to improve in our discipline, errors and penalty counts to beat St Helens and I’m looking forward to seeing that improvement.”

In injury news, Lam confirmed that captain Thomas Leuluai will miss the rest of the 2021 season with a hamstring tear – sustained in Round 17 against Leigh.

“We’ve got the scan results back and he will be out for the rest of the season,” the boss said. “Its massive in terms of the role he plays within our team. He’s our greatest leader here. He’s still going to play a part – he’s here doing his rehab.”

When questioned on who will take over the captain duties, Lam said: “I’ve got a leadership group here that I keep up to date. Part of the conversations will be that we need to share the leadership qualities around. I’ve had two players rotate throughout the year when Tommy hasn’t played – so it’s either been Liam Farrell or Sam Powell. Those players will take up that dual role moving forward.”

Lam was asked about potential returns to the team this week and he provided an update on two players who will return to the Friday’s squad.

“Oliver Partington will be back from a two-game suspension and John Bateman will be back from illness – they will both back in the squad. John is going to be playing a big part in our team moving forward now that Tommy is out for the rest of the season. I’m looking forward to seeing him take that next step up.”

The head coach also spoke about Sam Powell, who left the field in the opening two minutes against Hull KR with concussion and did not return following a failed HIA.

There is some doubt over Sam Powell,” Lam said. “We have to make sure we take care of him. We’ll make a decision tomorrow [Wednesday].”

Tickets for Wigan’s Betfred Super League Rivals Round clash against St Helens are on sale!

The biggest derby in Rugby League will take place on Friday 20th August at the DW Stadium. Don’t miss out and get your tickets now! Buy online by clicking HERE or call the DW Stadium Ticket Office on 01942 311111 (9am-5pm Mon-Fri).

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/08/ ... ws-saints/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Re: Lam previews Saints

Post by southportcdm »

I hope we don't let Sam play after Friday's HIA. If anybody needs reminding about the risks the players face from head injuries the awful news about Tommy's dad being diagnosed with dementia at 64 is a brutal reminder. I know many will claim that there's no inrrefutable evidence that playing 'rugby' increases the chances of getting dementia but it's just not worth the risk and the club has to be big enough to save the player's from themselves.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

So Lam reckons the players have to improve their discipline, errors and penalty count. Pity he didn't say anything about himself needing to improve tactics. If he employs the same tactics against Saints as he did v HKR then the outlook is very grim.

Has he not considered that our lads made those mistakes etc due to fatigue both physical and mental having played five more games than HKR? We have played four more than Saints yet he doesn't say anything about that. We couldn't play the game at the same pace for 80 mins as HKR and won't be able to against Saints.

What is obvious is we need to slow Saints down, slow their sets and restrict their field possession and momentum. End of our sets instead of kicking into the grateful arms of their wings and full back who take the ball on the full and on the run we need to kick the bloody thing into touch. Saints sets would obviously begin from a standing start with the first hit ups by their forwards who'll go nowhere rather then gift it to their backs on the run with quick ptb. That's one way at least.

As for Sam Powell, I hope he doesn't play. He's had two head knocks in the past three games where he's then failed the HIA tests. That's too much! He needs to be stood down and medical advice is being asked for and rightly too. At least Lam mentioned Sam and the fact he needs to be looked after.

With the right tactics and a good crowd behind the team we can win this one. Come on Wigan!
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Sam isn't playing.
More puzzlingly, Bourouh, who is leaving at the end of the season is in the 21 and O'Neill, who is staying, isn't.
Answers on a postcard please.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:46 pm Sam isn't playing.
More puzzlingly, Bourouh, who is leaving at the end of the season is in the 21 and O'Neill, who is staying, isn't.
The reason we are not keeping Bourouh could be down to salary cap and / or a belief that O'Neill is in our long term plans.

With regards to Bourouh getting more game time than O'Neill, he's older & has more experience so that is probably why but its going to be a big ask to play 80 minutes versus Saints.

What is strange to me is why O'Neill isn't out on loan if he isn't going to get minutes when Powell is out.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Can see Hastings playing Hooker against Saints, Smith and Field in the halves. Zak at full back.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:13 pm Can see Hastings playing Hooker against Saints, Smith and Field in the halves. Zak at full back.
This could help us make yards with the forwards (Hastings at 9), but I worry for our ability to create space out-wide if he’s at 9.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:48 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:46 pm Sam isn't playing.
The reason we are not keeping Bourouh could be down to salary cap and / or a belief that O'Neill is in our long term plans.

With regards to Bourouh getting more game time than O'Neill, he's older & has more experience so that is probably why but its going to be a big ask to play 80 minutes versus Saints.

What is strange to me is why O'Neill isn't out on loan if he isn't going to get minutes when Powell is out.
Bourouh isnt vastly more experienced though is he? i get what youre saying and if Amir was 23-24 with 90 odd appearences i would make sense but feels like he is as much a youth player as o'neil and it would serve us better to get o'neil some game time than someone who is leaving
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It's hard to get your head around, isn't it? We have two younger hookers, probably much of a muchness. We decide to keep one and release the other, but then we give the game-time to the one we're getting rid of?
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

moto748 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:12 pm It's hard to get your head around, isn't it? We have two younger hookers, probably much of a muchness. We decide to keep one and release the other, but then we give the game-time to the one we're getting rid of?
I’ve said exactly this. I can’t understand it, unless O’Neil is injured?