Wigan squad to face Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dan2266

Re: Wigan squad to face Leeds

Post by Dan2266 »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:06 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:00 pm
Shaun1967 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:48 pm

Not that I’m doubting you, but we keep being told Lam isn’t picking the team so surely they’re falling out with the wrong person?
Harry Smith is the only player that Lams been told from above they want him to start every game, I think I posted about that when the rumours of lam not picking the team first popped up.
I really hope if Lam is removed this season, one day, he candidly reveals what his tenure was like under the constraints of the club leadership.

Whether is be Harry Smith or Darren Lockyer, how can any club dictate to your head coach who plays and who doesn't?

If this is common knowledge among players, surely this undermines Lams position?

It's going be fascinating if Peet takes over with a capital F!
Its been put across without saying you must start Harry, but they made it clear they WANT him to play every game, now if my employers told me they WANTED something I wouldn't go against it, but at the same time its different to YOU WILL PLAY HIM.... French and now tommy being injured have made it less of an issue than it may of been.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:03 pm They have given Bateman a 1 match ban...... are they having an absolute laugh.

Atleast my anger at the match has been redirected.
Isa has a 1 match and a three match ban making 4 in total.
Jackson Hastings has an 'unknown' decision hanging over him about an alleged high tackle. I'm hoping it's an RL cock-up as it says the match was on the 21st and it wasn't.

Bateman was cited 3 times.
Isa 5 times
Shorrocks 3 times (!?)
Havard once and Burrough (no points for spelling there RL) once.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:27 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:00 pm

Harry Smith is the only player that Lams been told from above they want him to start every game, I think I posted about that when the rumours of lam not picking the team first popped up.
I really hope if Lam is removed this season, one day, he candidly reveals what his tenure was like under the constraints of the club leadership.

Whether is be Harry Smith or Darren Lockyer, how can any club dictate to your head coach who plays and who doesn't?

If this is common knowledge among players, surely this undermines Lams position?

Its been put across without saying you must start Harry, but they made it clear they WANT him to play every game, now if my employers told me they WANTED something I wouldn't go against it, but at the same time its different to YOU WILL PLAY HIM.... French and now tommy being injured have made it less of an issue than it may of been.
"but they made it clear", out of curiosity, who exactly are they?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:48 pm

Im sure you know I cant say, but Im sure you will have a decent idea.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Southern Softy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:33 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:03 pm They have given Bateman a 1 match ban...... are they having an absolute laugh.

Jackson Hastings has an 'unknown' decision hanging over him about an alleged high tackle. I'm hoping it's an RL cock-up as it says the match was on the 21st and it wasn't.

Isa 5 times
Shorrocks 3 times (!?)
Bateman had two sin bindings as as well though for what he did that was more than punishment enough and its a joke its being taken further.

I expected an isa ban but your telling me smacking your head into someone else's In a tackle like Roby did all match is fine but coming together (as i don't remember punches) with a player warrants a ban....

The joke being Bentleys kick(Well tap) wouldn't have been picked up if Bateman hadn't reacted
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:53 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:33 pm

Isa 5 times
Shorrocks 3 times (!?)
Bateman had two sin bindings as as well though for what he did that was more than punishment enough and its a joke its being taken further.

I expected an isa ban but your telling me smacking your head into someone else's In a tackle like Roby did all match is fine but coming together (as i don't remember punches) with a player warrants a ban....

The joke being Bentleys kick(Well tap) wouldn't have been picked up if Bateman hadn't reacted
Its gone farcical…… like i said on another thread they always kick us when we are down……. Lets see how many players get1 match for disagreeing rest-of season
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:40 pm Experience in the pack for this one, surely

6.Field
22. Jake Bibby
3. Zak Hardaker
4. Oliver Gildart
5. Liam Marshall
31. Jackson Hastings
20. Harry Smith
8. Brad Singleton
9. Powell / 33. Amir Bourouh
10. Joe Bullock
12. Liam Farrell
13. John Bateman
14. Oliver Partington

Subs

15. Morgan Smithies
19. Liam Byrne
23. Mitch Clark
25. Joe Shorrocks
Bateman out for 1 game so KPP in for Bateman
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan v Leeds: 21-man squads, injury update and TV details

In one of the biggest games of any season, Wigan welcome Leeds to the DW Stadium on Wednesday night as they look to bounce back following their derby defeat at the hands of St Helens last week.

Both clubs are well in the hunt for places inside the top six, so it promises to be a hugely important contest and I’d wager that it could be a really intriguing battle between two sides missing key players.

The Rhinos haven’t won at the DW Stadium since a 20-6 victory over Wigan in 2013 – the last time they did the double over their biggest foes. If they want to stop Wigan from claiming yet another double over them as they did in 2019 and 2018, Leeds will have to avenge their Headingley loss earlier in the season.

Wigan have done their part to promote the game and get fans in attendance by lowering the prices down to just £10 for adults and £5 for children in what they’re referring to as Retro Round. Hopefully for the Warriors, the result will be better than in Rivals Round last week.

The game kicks off at 19:45 and will be live on Sky Sports Arena.

Wigan Warriors

Wigan were only able to name a 19-man squad for the game but things have gotten even worse for the Cherry and Whites with their squad now containing just 18 players. The Warriors initially named John Bateman in their squad but he’s since been handed a one-match ban following the St Helens game and will drop out but could be replaced by Sam Powell pending a medical assessment. Unsurprisingly, Willie Isa is also unavailable due to suspension but former Rhino Brad Singleton returns in time to face his former club. The Warriors are still without Thomas Leuluai and Bevan French.

18-man squad: 3 Zak Hardaker, 4 Oliver Gildart, 5 Liam Marshall, 6 Jai Field, 8 Brad Singleton, 10 Joe Bullock, 12 Liam Farrell, 14 Oliver Partington, 15 Morgan Smithies, 19 Liam Byrne, 20 Harry Smith, 21 Ethan Havard, 22 Jake Bibby, 23 Mitch Clark, 25 Joe Shorrocks, 27 Kai Pearce-Paul, 31 Jackson Hastings, 33 Amir Bourouh.

Leeds Rhinos

Leeds are boosted by the return of four players for this clash having lost the likes of Liam Sutcliffe, Konrad Hurrell, Luke Gale, Mikolaj Oledzki and Alex Mellor to long-term injuries in recent weeks. The Rhinos will welcome back young Jack Broadbent from injury, Rhyse Martin from suspension and skipper Matt Prior following self-isolation. They replace youngsters Levi Edwards and Corey Hall in the 21-man squad as well as Konrad Hurrell who was named in last week’s despite having a season-ending injury. Leeds will also be boosted by the return of Cameron Smith who missed the Huddersfield clash due to a Covid related issue. Ash Handley remains a doubt and will be assessed ahead of the game following a groin problem.

21-man squad: 2 Tom Briscoe, 3 Harry Newman, 5 Ash Handley, 6 Rob Lui, 9 Kruise Leeming, 10 Matt Prior, 12 Rhyse Martin, 13 Zane Tetevano, 14 Brad Dwyer, 16 Richie Myler, 17 Cameron Smith, 18 Tom Holroyd, 19 King Vuniyayawa, 20 Bodene Thompson, 22 Sam Walters, 23 Callum McLelland, 24 Luke Briscoe, 25 James Donaldson, 26 Jarrod O’Connor, 27 Jack Broadbent, 31 Morgan Gannon.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-v- ... ils-42374/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Are we not allowed to replace Bateman? Was the disciplinary decision to his ban made after the team was announced?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:51 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:48 pm

Im sure you know I cant say, but Im sure you will have a decent idea.
I don’t know anyone who would want to coach Wigan if the attitudes are you are told what to do.
To be a good coach you do things your way, thought that was the whole point.