Fans Forum

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Fans Forum

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:51 am
Dan2266 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:47 am Did anybody ask why things don't seem to get announced?

Isa, Powell, Bibby, Thornely.

I wasn't there. But I assume they hinted towards another signing hopefully being completed soon?
They said about Thornley being signed
I think Dan is talking about delays to announcements.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:35 am
Dan2266 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:47 am Did anybody ask why things don't seem to get announced?

Isa, Powell, Bibby, Thornely.

I wasn't there. But I assume they hinted towards another signing hopefully being completed soon?
That's what I meant anyway, the seemingly pointless delay in it all.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:37 am

The club have in the past tried to counter bad news with good news, so they could be saving the announcements? Although I wouldn't necessarily call it "good news" per se, something they maybe want to just slip in with a better announcement?

Liverpool have done something similar, announcing contract extensions throughout the transfer window period, including two on deadline day, to negate the fact we have only signed 1 player in comparison to the other rivals going all out.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:01 am

The club have in the past tried to counter bad news with good news, so they could be saving the announcements? Although I wouldn't necessarily call it "good news" per se, something they maybe want to just slip in with a better announcement?

Liverpool have done something similar, announcing contract extensions throughout the transfer window period, including two on deadline day, to negate the fact we have only signed 1 player in comparison to the other rivals going all out.
Is the good news not Lam Leaving? :lol: they're going to counter that with bad news of average players signing :roll:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Did anyone ask when the jobs for the boys culture is going to end :?:
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:51 am They said about Thornley being signed
There were quite a few good comments and questions about the lack of communication from the Club and, in response, IL and KR admitted that communication hasn't been good enough. I appreciate that this won't satisfy some people and will be seen as a poor excuse but what came through very strongly was the massive, intense and sustained pressure that all the staff at the Club have been under through the last 18 months and that the priority has clearly been simply managing the Club through a very challenging period. To hear of the pressure on experienced admin staff and them being reduced to tears by abusive 'fans' wasn't very edifying! Although it would seem a simple thing to do, I guess telling the world that Willie Isa has signed a contract extension hasn't been top priority! However the Club is recruiting a new marketing manager, so that may improve communication and initiatives. For me the forum was at the same time positive and sobering (there are lots of challenges going forward) but was held in good spirit and the answers to questions were honest and straightforward.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:38 am

There were quite a few good comments and questions about the lack of communication from the Club and, in response, IL and KR admitted that communication hasn't been good enough. I appreciate that this won't satisfy some people and will be seen as a poor excuse but what came through very strongly was the massive, intense and sustained pressure that all the staff at the Club have been under through the last 18 months and that the priority has clearly been simply managing the Club through a very challenging period. To hear of the pressure on experienced admin staff and them being reduced to tears by abusive 'fans' wasn't very edifying! Although it would seem a simple thing to do, I guess telling the world that Willie Isa has signed a contract extension hasn't been top priority! However the Club is recruiting a new marketing manager, so that may improve communication and initiatives. For me the forum was at the same time positive and sobering (there are lots of challenges going forward) but was held in good spirit and the answers to questions were honest and straightforward.
I disagree that the challenges of the past year is an excuse for announcing contract extensions or signings because the club has been very active in other ways with the media. If a deal is done it's an announcement for goodness sake not a major film production.

In any case many of the issues faced by the club are a result of issues that have been present for a lot longer than a year or 18 months. Particularly recruitment and retention of players. That was rubbish long before covid came along. I don't doubt the last 18 months have been difficult but they can't hide behind that for problems that have been going on for years.

Wigan doesn't exist in isolation so it's always compared to other clubs many of whom are recruiting better and seem to have a more positive vibe about them.

If the club is blaming everything on Covid it still doesn't explain why it's going anywhere near the likes of Thornley when no other top club would.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:01 amThe club have in the past tried to counter bad news with good news, so they could be saving the announcements? Although I wouldn't necessarily call it "good news" per se, something they maybe want to just slip in with a better announcement?

Who do Wigan (and Liverpool!) think they are kidding when they do this? :roll:
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:05 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:01 amThe club have in the past tried to counter bad news with good news, so they could be saving the announcements? Although I wouldn't necessarily call it "good news" per se, something they maybe want to just slip in with a better announcement?

1. Happy clappers.
2. Stupid people.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:00 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:05 am

1. Happy clappers.
2. Stupid people.
But we're happy and stupid anyway, so we don't need managing. It's the cynics on the clubs back that they are trying to placate. But they'll never be happy anyway.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐