U21s releases

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: U21s releases

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Well it isn't going to work overnight, is it? Though, having said that, when did Hull last win anything? They have had Ewan Douwes (sp) and Briscoe because of salary cap restrictions.
In my opinion Hull have got to the top because they sorted themselves out financially, moved to a decent ground and thus were able to generate revenue and send more money on players by their own off field efforts. Not because of the salary cap.

Wire are in a position to do the same now that they have a sugar-daddy and have moved ground. If they were still at Wilderspool and didn't have their ennthusiastic chairman they would, IMO, still be struggling.

The problem remains that clubs like Wakefield and Salford can't spend 1.8 million on wages so they will never be able to pick up top talent from clubs like Wigan or Leeds. Neither will they be able to retain it when contracts come up for renewal e.g. Ellis to Leeds from Wakey.

There seems to by a myth that the salary cap will bring an even competition and that in itself will ensure the less well off clubs become financially better off.

That is never going to work and clubs themselves need to drag themselves up to a standard, like Hull.

If the salary cap said you have to be able to pay a minimum of 1.8 million in wages before you can be in SL it might make more sense.
Also, if this crop of youngsters is the star talent of tomorrow, then it is a fact that they are being distributed wider now than previously.
Thay are but why should that be happening? There should be no where for these lads to go! By that I mean all the clubs should have U18 and U21 set ups that means they do not need to look to other clubs production lines. The current dismantling of the U21 asnd U18's that seems to be going on could well be Wigan deciding it's not worth the effort.

It is much easier to go and find a 25 year old Kolpack player of proven ability then grow your own. So if you produce half a dozen potential first team players you want to keep but can't I don't see the point in bothering. Wigan are not a charity and the Wigan academy should benefit Wigan and no other club.

If other clubs can't afford to run an academy of similar stature they should make way for clubs who can.
IMO it is only the salary cap that prevented Leeds from keeping McKenna and signing Peacock, for example, so whilst it may not have the result of spreading top players around lesser clubs it does prevent the very top clubs from amassing huge squads of world class players.
I really don't think that justifies the salary cap. It is tinkering around the edges and is definately not what is supposed to happen. We lost Furner to Leeds. Top player from one top club to another. McKenna going to Bradford is the same.

Calderwood to us, Pryce to Saints. The list is just a merry go round of players going from one top club to another. As to not amassing lots of top players, look at the Saints squad or Bradfords. Not much dead wood in either of them.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:

...Calderwood to us, Pryce to Saints. The list is just a merry go round of players going from one top club to another. As to not amassing lots of top players, look at the Saints squad or Bradfords. Not much dead wood in either of them.

Dave
Exactly right, Dave. The top clubs generally have good youth development schemes, particularly ourselves, Leeds and Saints. The lower clubs generally don't, because they know it's more cost-effective to pick up the players that can't make the 20 of a top club...either youngsters like Luke Robinson and David Hodgson, or older players like Connolly and O'Connor. The really good players stay with one of the top clubs.
ChrisTaylor

Post by ChrisTaylor »

just reading your thoughts on the salary cap and the teams from about 8th down get approx 3million pound each year in money and then teams liek whinos got 12.6million last year, if you want to ask a question to the rfl send me a pm with the question (re fev supporters night) and it will probably be asked.
Featherstone Rovers are coming back! watch out!!!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

jinkin jimmy posted:

Well it isn't going to work overnight, is it? Though, having said that, when did Hull last win anything? They have had Euan Douwes (sp) and Briscoe because of salary cap restrictions.
Er, let me think, oh yes 2005 Challenge Cup
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ian.birchall posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
Well it isn't going to work overnight, is it? Though, having said that, when did Hull last win anything? They have had Euan Douwes (sp) and Briscoe because of salary cap restrictions.
Er, let me think, oh yes 2005 Challenge Cup
:lol:
I was going to mention that...but I knew I could rely on you or Dave.
'tis a while ago, now, though. Easily forgotten.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

In principle the cap is a good idea (minus the 20/20). However it will struggle to have the effect that it does in the NRL or the American grid iron leagues because we don't have a draft system and as DaveO rightly pointed out the majority of SL clubs fail to meet the (minimum) £1.8m criteria.

Each player should have his contract requirements published. Once the squads have been decided it ought to be easy to tot up each clubs out goings on salaries. When clubs and players fail to agree terms that player is then offered to the team who finished lowest down the ladder. If this club meets his contract requirements that player has no arguement about playing for this club.

This is one reason why teams go from top to bottom of the ladder in the afore mentioned sports ie; Penrith a few years ago (to the top) and latterly Newcastle (to the bottom).

This can be uniquely done in RL because of the propensity of cubs in the north (moving from Wigan to Wakefield is hardly the cultural shock of Manchester to Madrid!).

This however will have ramifications as regards promotion and relegation. And here lies the rub. It is no "shame" to finish bottom of the ladder in the NRL as all the clubs know that given sound business strategy and management of the cap that the Pheonix can rise.

Look at the success of clubs like Canberra, Melbourne, NQ Cowboys, Broncos the resurgent Bunnies and compere this to our record with London, Gateshead and Sheffield.

I could go on discussing what is a major sport and what isn't about how it would be wonderful to do in soccer but for FIFA (a world governing body) and the ease that this could be doe in League , because there are only two factions to satisfy.

Thispost s lng enough.

:)