Wigan squad for Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Gerrumonside

Re: Wigan squad for Leeds

Post by Gerrumonside »

Got to be Halsall on the wing for me and push Bibby in to centre.

Would probably have isa & Bateman as 2nd row with the Pearl at loose.

That would have subs at Byrne Havard KPP & Shorroks
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Gerrumonside wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:38 am Got to be Halsall on the wing for me and push Bibby in to centre.

Farrell at loose forward?

For what benefit and reason?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:00 am
Gerrumonside wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:38 am Got to be Halsall on the wing for me and push Bibby in to centre.

Farrell at loose forward?

For what benefit and reason?
Yep that's got me scratching my head too
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It's probably Adrian Lam trying out some ideas.

I'm nearly as bad because I'd keep The Pearl at 2nd row and put JB at loose-forward to see if we could find a position for him that works.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’d have Pearce Paul in the centre ahead of Isa. Better runner and he’s got a good offload
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

3. Zak Hardaker
28. Sam Halsall
4. Oliver Gildart
22. Jake Bibby
5. Liam Marshall

20. Harry Smith
31. Jackson Hastings

8. Brad Singleton
9. Sam Powell
17. Tony Clubb
11. Willie Isa
12. Liam Farrell
13. John Bateman

14. Oliver Partington
15. Morgan Smithies
27. Kai Pearce-Paul
25. Joe Shorrocks

This would be my team. Lam won't pick it though.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I'd be more than happy with that team - get your application in for next season!
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:33 pm The game and a Wigan win will depend on Lam's team selection and tactics.

Last week, for once, he played three senior props and changed from his bog standard tactics of kick long and chase hard. Instead he went to kick on the last going for touch so Cats had to start sets from a standing start. Jacko did brilliantly well with a 40/20 at the end of the first set. Smith was superb with another second half. Surprising what skillful players can do when you give them the opportunity. Cats faced a Wigan pack they never expected and after not very long didn't fancy it.

This week is totally different. It's knock out rugby with a different mindset. I do hope Lam was trying out a team selection and tactics for knock out rugby but somehow doubt it. If we are to compete with Leeds big pack then we have to go with three senior props. Anything less and we'll be back to not being able to get out of our 30 when exiting our end.

The backs seem to select themselves with, Hardaker, Bibby, Isa, Gildart, Marshall, Smith Hastings.
Selection of forwards will be critical. I'd go - Clubb, Powell, Singleton, Farrell, Bateman, Shorrocks.
Bench, Clark, Partington, Byrne, Pearce-Paul.

Smithies and Harvard not in as they make too many mistakes and we can't afford that in knock out rugby.

Interesting to see if Lam builds on last week or reverts to type.

Clark has made six errors in six games, Havard nine errors in twenty two games and Smithies five errors in sixteen games.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

To often for me our strongest team is on the bench we need to start games better, it doesn't guarantee you success but its a lot harder to come back than it is to maintain.

When Madge was here the first 10 minutes of each half no team could live with us we used to come out and dominate - then for the rest of each half we could almost dictate the speed of the game
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:55 am I’d have Pearce Paul in the centre ahead of Isa. Better runner and he’s got a good offload
Is the playoffs the time for experimenting?

Lam would get slated if he put him there & poor sliding defence for example cost us the game.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."