Willie Isa future update

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Willie Isa future update

Post by josie andrews »

Willie Isa has given an update on his social media as he prepares for pre-season at the Wigan Warriors.

The powerful back-rower remains out of contract at the DW Stadium, but it appears as though he will be remaining with Wigan in 2022.

There had been claims earlier on in the season that Isa had signed a new deal and, by the look of a video on his Instagram, he certainly looks ready to hit the pitch once more.

Isa said: “Fantastic being able to do part of my off season programme at @r4p_uk. Working towards being ready for next season has already begun 💪 “.

The Warriors had a dismal season by their standards in 2021, finishing in fourth and exiting the play-offs at the first time of asking in an 8-0 loss.

Wigan also had the worst points per game average in Super League – even worse than the relegated Leigh Centurions – though a change in head coach has instilled some new-found confidence in the Warriors’ fans.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/willie-i ... ate-44813/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Willie Isa future update

Post by fozzieskem »

I'm not sure why the club can't announce the deal makes the club look as if they're hiding something
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Recycled post, the actual post was from the 18th and is nothing to do with Wigan.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

I imagine that someone at the club is looking at our overseas contingent and thinking about our need to improve. I like Isa but we will need to rejig the quota soon. If it looks like Tommy, French and possibly Field decide to move on for 22/23 then we might be begging him to stay. Having said that he may be going to the US. I suppose it all depends on how the new forwards go.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Levrier wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:40 pm If it looks like Tommy, French and possibly Field decide to move on for 22/23 then we might be begging him to stay.
Isa is a very adept squad player who at times let himself and his team mates down last season with his petulance. We cannot keep giving quota spots to squad players though and next season should be Isa's last especially with all the back rows we have coming through
Back by demand.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

buttmonkey2 wrote:
Levrier wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:40 pm If it looks like Tommy, French and possibly Field decide to move on for 22/23 then we might be begging him to stay.
Isa is a very adept squad player who at times let himself and his team mates down last season with his petulance. We cannot keep giving quota spots to squad players though and next season should be Isa's last especially with all the back rows we have coming through
Agreed he will be 33 in January and isn’t good enough to kept on longer than next season especially as he takes up a quota spot.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Personally, I think the accolade of 'squad player' is questionable with Isa. I think he was when he first joined, I think his experience is needed with our youthful pack and he has justified an extension! I've never seen Isa in a season where I've thought he was superb, that said, I've never seen one thinking he is shit! Problem for Isa (excluding 33 years), Bateman, Faz and KPP are all ahead of him. A player who has got better with experience with us! I would never say he mirrors Mick Cassidy's consistency, but he is that type of player. As I've posted previously his 2020 GF performance changed my whole outlook on him.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

buttmonkey2 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:29 pm
I think it was Isa's teamates that let themselves down TBH - at least he showed some passion although I agree it became counterproductive.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I don't recognise the description of him being petulant "at times". He had one horrendous match v Saints, but otherwise seems consistent. He leads the line on our right and disrupts oppositions' left side attack, though he does miss a tackle or two by being too quick at times.

I'd keep him for another year for his experience, commitment and leadership-by-example. If we need space under the quota, it should be Tommy to go imo.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I think his age has started to catch up with him and this is what led to some of the mistakes he made born out of frustration. That said I thought the apologies and what have you after that game were uncalled for and ridiculous. Doesn't really matter why he did what he did, that happens in RL and he was punished on the day. Didn't need the media circus afterwards or any comment from the club. Made Wigan, not Isa, look soft.