Ten Wigan Warriors players off-contract at the end of the season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Ten Wigan Warriors players off-contract at the end of the season

Post by josie andrews »

A number of high-profile stars are entering the final year of their deals.

It's fair to say Wigan Warriors have plenty of retention to do in the coming weeks and months.

A number of the club's key performers are now in the final 12 months of their contracts and will soon be free to discuss moves with other clubs.

Of course, the Warriors will believe everything is in hand and will no doubt start announcing new deals soon.

But for now, we take a look at those that are off-contract at the end of next season.

Bevan French

French's future has never been too far away from the headlines due to his pulsating performances and extended time back in Australia.

The fullback is expected to return in 2022 after extending his contract by 12 months. What happens after that is anyone's guess.

Zak Hardaker

An inevitable transfer saga waiting to happen.

It's well known that the England international would like to move closer to home but Wigan do, actually, have an option in his contract to extend his deal.

Would Wigan want to keep a player struggling with the travel? Who knows, it makes for interesting viewing in the coming months.

Jake Bibby

An ever-present last year, Wigan again extended his contract by 12 months last year.

That does, however, mean he's off-contract going into the coming season. He looks set to be a regular again this season.

Tommy Leuluai

This is no surprise, with the veteran half taking his career year by year at this stage.

He's returning from injury in 2022 and will make a decision on his future later in the year.

Sam Powell

There was some confusion over Powell's contract status this year but he still has another season currently locked in with the Warriors.

It's hard to see him leaving the club, though.

Liam Farrell

It's hard to think of a universe where Farrell would ever leave the Warriors either.

But he is in the final year of a five-season contract. Still performing week in, week out.

Morgan Smithies

Signed a four-year deal for 2019, meaning this is the final season of this contract.

He will be looking to kick on towards international honours in 2022.

Ollie Partington

All said about Smithies applies for Partington, too.

He was a solid presence in the Wigan squad last year and one of, if not their most, reliable performer.

Ethan Havard

Like Hardaker, there's an option in Havard's contract to extend it by 12 months.

As far as we're aware that hasn't been activated yet. It wasn't long since he was being linked with NRL clubs.

Jai Field

He needs a big year after an underwhelming debut season with the club.

Injury played a big part in that but Field should be fit this year and will be keen to put a frustrating first year behind him.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-22404914
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
NICKYKISS

Re: Ten Wigan Warriors players off-contract at the end of the season

Post by NICKYKISS »

Going down the list you’d imagine Hardaker goes, Tommy retires and Field goes back to Australia.

After that, I’d love to keep French and I’d imagine we’ll retain the rest. I hope we’re down the track with guys like Smithies and Havard already.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Sam Powell

There was some confusion over Powell's contract status this year but he still has another season currently locked in with the Warriors.

Because no other club are stupid enough to sign him
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Agree with NK.
Hardaker to leave end of 2022 if not before.
Field probably to go bac to Aus.
Tommy should retire.
Hopefully the club will re-sign the remainder.

The interesting bit will be the recruitment to replace those leaving.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:Sam Powell

And Wigan are stupid enough to give him another deal.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would try to keep French - though frankly I will be surprised to see him play for us any time soon contract or no contract, so that is highly unlikely. And Hardaker, whom we probably will see again, but not after this year. I think Bibby is a decent squad player, and Havard and Smithies could be good. No idea what Field can do.

Losing those 3 puts the pressure massively on recruiting some entertaining players, but it is possible we could find them from somewhere. Plus, there is a golden opportunity to let Leuluai, Powell and Partington go, and sign good players in their place. I am sure pretty much everyone here was delighted to see from this that we have not signed Powell to a new contract.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

medlocke wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:24 pm Sam Powell

Surely this season has to be his last chance. If there is no improvement under Peet then he needs shipping up to Newcastle Thunder.

Then again, there are a lot of fans that love him, and one of those is Mr Wane.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I was amused by “reliable” in the description of Partington. If by reliable you mean can be guaranteed to make a few inches progress each time he hits the line, then he is certainly that. Tbf, Powell is also reliable - taking a quick look down the list of hookers in SL and the championship, I am not sure he would even be in the top 20. It’d be a good idea to get him to Newcastle, if O’Neill develops as we hope.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

my view on the players listed

French - try to retain as long as he has recovered from his injury and performs this coming season
Hardaker - let him go at the end of his contract if all the rumours are to be believed and he wants to move back home
Bibby - retain as solid utility back (although he made wing his own last year due to circumstance)
Leuluai - retire
Powell - i would personally let him go. I dont slate him week in week out, but i believe we need something more than just tackling from 9 and he is too slow in attack
Farrell - retain - he'll be 32ish, so a 1+1 deal would probably be ideal for both parties
Smithies - retain
Partington - retain
Havard - retain
Field - unsure as we know virtually nothing about him from last season

re Smithies, Partington and Havard, really need to see how they develop this year. we all know that the kids were flogged last year, and i think that had a detrimental impact on their performances, so hopefully using them correctly this year will see them develop / perform how we think they can
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

My view

French - let see how he comes back for what is now a long time out but 70-80% of what he was hes still worth trying to keep on but i feel he will go

Hardaker - If he's unhappy let him go and get a quality centre in

Bibby - keep, hes a good player

Leuluai - should of gone this time

Powell -depends, he shouldnt be in the starting 13, i can see arguments for him in a matchday 17 though if you use him like hull used to use richard whiting in that he can cover you for 6/7/9/13 he shouldnt be starting in any of those positions but he does have a utility value imo, he could be used in lower end games to rest/save better players, his wage would need to reflect this

Farrell - id keep

Smithies - he needs to pick it up gone backwards a bit imo

Partington - 50/50 his size (or lack of) makes me lean towards let him go

Havard - keep hold but he needs to kick on

Field - lets see how he goes
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure