Disgusting

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Terry Newton - A New S...

Post by cpwigan »

robjoenz posted:
mike binder posted:
and so he should take the rfl to court restraint of trade and hed get a slap on the wrist and a heavy fine,if he has a good solicitor :eh:
It's getting rediculous I'm afraid when you start talking court cases and solictors. You commit an offence you pay the price, you can't complain at the RFL giving him a stiff punishment only at Newton for committing the offence in the first place. The RFL are in control of the game you have to respect that, either that or don't play the game!
Rob if they act in an arbitary manner lacking fairness and consistency they are leaving themselves wide open to legal claims. The legal system protects players against being steamrollered by their governing body.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I can see where you're coming from but it's just rediculous, the video evidence is so heavily stacked against Terry and he still complains, he was daft to do so. I know that Pryce, for example, escaped a ban for a similar offence to what Kearney did last night (another inconsistency) but that's what should be questioned and I don't think taking the RFL to court is the answer. You want people to laugh at our sport, you want bad press to rub mud over the name of RL and this is how you do it.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Might be that his supposed 4 year Bulls contract depends on it :doz: I think the RFL have acted stupidly though. The Gilmour 3 match ban has direct comparisons with McDermott, Pryce and now Kearney. How do you explain to a High Court judge why one player received 3 matches and the others none for an identical offence :(

I cannot see how he can argue he's not guilty as he is IMO but he can argue as regards the punishment. Maybe it will be bad in the short run but if we got NRL standard in disciplinary matters in the long run ?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
I cannot see how he can argue he's not guilty as he is IMO but he can argue as regards the punishment. Maybe it will be bad in the short run but if we got NRL standard in disciplinary matters in the long run ?
Will it have the effect of sorting out the disciplinary though? I see things slightly differently. The only outcome I can see is that they reduce Terry's ban, the RFL won't look at dishing out 3 games to Pryce and McDermott having already given them nothing. Then the next time a bad offence is committed they use Newton as a precedence and get let off. This gives the exact opposite effect of what we want to see and the RFL little control over it happening.

What we need to happen now is for the RFL to look at things in the close season, surely they will see that the disciplinary needs reassessing and they'll set up a rigid structure as in the NRL.
SiY

Re: Disgusting

Post by SiY »

cpwigan posted:
Not sure whether he canb but Whelan should sack GB off for the Tri Nations. Let them take their crap elsewhere. Whilst he's at it ban RFL officials too.
This is going back a few pages. :P But can someone explain waht that means?

I think we should as a club stand up for itsels and not take no b/s. We should pull all Wigan players out of the GB Squad and give em two fingers for being stupid and pethetic. Sounds like the disciplinary board get no control at home so they need to abuse their authority on Newton.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

SiY posted:
cpwigan posted:
Not sure whether he canb but Whelan should sack GB off for the Tri Nations. Let them take their crap elsewhere. Whilst he's at it ban RFL officials too.

I think we should as a club stand up for itsels and not take no b/s. We should pull all Wigan players out of the GB Squad and give em two fingers for being stupid and pethetic. Sounds like the disciplinary board get no control at home so they need to abuse their authority on Newton.
That makes no sense either :doz:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

SiY posted:
cpwigan posted:

SIY I was just arguing that Whelan and co if they could legally SHOULD stand up to the RFL and send them a clear message by withdrawing access to the JJB for internationals, cup semis etc and withdraw hospitality rights etc to RFL officials

I'm generally out on limb here because I'm not terribly British in my outlook (stiff upper lip, grin/bear it etc) I also think you can / should pressurise weak organisations like the RFL. The likes of Jack Gibson, Bob Fulton, Wayne Bennett have always fought their corner.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Was I a Wigan player and GB squad member I would pull out of the Tri-nations.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

You could try that but it'd probably back fire, it's cutting off your nose to spite your face. They'd play some GB games at the Reebok and Whelan would lose out on the extra income. I think this is getting silly now, the RFL have given Terry a punishment as a deterent, hopefully it will put him and other players off committing similar offences. Taking things further will either keep things as they are or lighten his sentence which sends out a message saying 'you can do what you like, break a players neck if you like and if you take them to court you can get away with it.'

We've had discussions on here before about how the disciplinary need to sort their act out and now some people are saying that we ought to fight to reduce the punishment of a player committing a dangerous challenge? That's rediculous. Unfortunately taking this any further will not make the RFL increase bans for Pryce or McDermott.

The RFL rarely make rule changes mid-season and I'm sure they take peoples feedback on board, they aren't totally stupid, they'll know that the disciplinary needs restructuring and they like to copy NRL initiatives so I'd not be too suprised if this changes next season. Putting two fingers up at the governing body won't help this though!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan posted:
SIY I was just arguing that Whelan and co if they could legally SHOULD stand up to the RFL and send them a clear message by withdrawing access to the JJB for internationals, cup semis etc and withdraw hospitality rights etc to RFL officials
Even Whelan isn't that stupid.
I'm generally out on limb here because I'm not terribly British in my outlook (stiff upper lip, grin/bear it etc) I also think you can / should pressurise weak organisations like the RFL. The likes of Jack Gibson, Bob Fulton, Wayne Bennett have always fought their corner.
And the motive for presurising the "weak" RFL is what? To make it cave in and become even weaker?

Dave