Wigan squad for Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NICKYKISS

Re: Wigan squad for Warrington

Post by NICKYKISS »

We can’t be anything but pleased. It’s only a friendly but we needed that to lay a marker down and get some confidence going. There’s things to work on but with Hardaker and French not available, as well as Havard to add depth to the pack, we look to have a much improvised squad to choose from.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Keeping players happy after blooding so many young lads last season could be a problem, a good problem to have but not easy.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Nice to see so much positivity tonight. Hope we can keep it going.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

adam0026 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:58 pm Just got home.
Really good attendance from both sets of fans.

First time I’ve seen Jai Field properly and was more than impressed!
Was voted MoM by fans 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:08 pm That all sounds brilliant. I was v fearful that Field would struggle to be as sharp as he was in the NRL… sounds like I can rest easy on that score. Even last year, we defended superbly. It’s all about attack attack attack, and sounds like we are unrecognisably sharper. So far so good.
Voted MoM by the fans 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Mickw wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:02 pm Sounds like peeps going to have some selection headaches this season.
I know it’s autocorrect, but that made me laugh.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Unwise as it may be to place too much store by pre-season friendlies, nevertheless, with a largely kids team, there were promising signs against Newcastle, and I think it's fair to say that these were built on here, with a stronger first-half team. All the new recruits acquitted themselves well. There looked to be a togetherness in the squad which showed up in both defence and attack. As I remarked upthread, it looked like passes that were usually dropped last season started to stick. I don't think this starts to happen by chance.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Just a little thing, about Tommy. I've said this before, but his kicking game is often (rightly) criticised, but it's just a decent bomb he can't seem to do. If he sticks to those low diagonal kicks, he can be pretty effective.

And on halves, pleased that Cust was able to ease himself into the game, and although last-tackle options weren't always brilliant, there was no panic to 'chuck the ball to him' on the fifth.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:06 pm We can’t be anything but pleased. It’s only a friendly but we needed that to lay a marker down and get some confidence going. There’s things to work on but with Hardaker and French not available, as well as Havard to add depth to the pack, we look to have a much improvised squad to choose from.
And a better coach.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:12 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:06 pm We can’t be anything but pleased. It’s only a friendly but we needed that to lay a marker down and get some confidence going. There’s things to work on but with Hardaker and French not available, as well as Havard to add depth to the pack, we look to have a much improvised squad to choose from.
And a better coach.
Better coach?

Careful now we will be praising Thornley next :D