Wigan squad for Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan squad for Warrington

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:59 am Unwise as it may be to place too much store by pre-season friendlies, nevertheless, with a largely kids team, there were promising signs against Newcastle, and I think it's fair to say that these were built on here, with a stronger first-half team. All the new recruits acquitted themselves well. There looked to be a togetherness in the squad which showed up in both defence and attack. As I remarked upthread, it looked like passes that were usually dropped last season started to stick. I don't think this starts to happen by chance.
Agreed.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:29 pm Nice to see so much positivity tonight. Hope we can keep it going.
Certainly looked more of a rugby league side last night Morley but just remember it's the hope that finally kills you.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

For me the main thing is attitude, all the players have a point to prove. That's deliberate. All the new lads who have had bit part roles in NRL definitely make us stronger. Field and Thornley for different reasons even Bateman and Powel to a degree. Then all the young lads are yet to cement themselves as first choice or SL standard. Even the coaching staff. You could say it's a gamble but a calculated one with a guys over seeing it who's passion for the club can't be doubted.
I feel like we are a club again the buzz last night while apprehensive was there.
Even ebbing over into my posts .... God last season their was nothing to be positive about at least a little of that now.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

ian.birchall wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:58 am
morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:29 pm Nice to see so much positivity tonight. Hope we can keep it going.
Certainly looked more of a rugby league side last night Morley but just remember it's the hope that finally kills you.
You've lived in Yorkshire too long, Ian....you're getting as miserable as the locals :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:40 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:12 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:06 pm We can’t be anything but pleased. It’s only a friendly but we needed that to lay a marker down and get some confidence going. There’s things to work on but with Hardaker and French not available, as well as Havard to add depth to the pack, we look to have a much improvised squad to choose from.
And a better coach.
Better coach?

Careful now we will be praising Thornley next :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:06 pm We can’t be anything but pleased. It’s only a friendly but we needed that to lay a marker down and get some confidence going. There’s things to work on but with Hardaker and French not available, as well as Havard to add depth to the pack, we look to have a much improvised squad to choose from.
And a better coach.
Better coach?

I'll bite, he had a decent first half. Also Byrne went well in an all round stronger forward unit.
MoM one out of Field, KPP, Mago or Thornley.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Field being sharp, and KPP and Mago having offload games are real game changers for us.
Even last year, we dug deep and defended, what we painfully lacked were multiple points of attack.
If some combination of Field/Cust/KPP/Mago gives defences much more to think about, then we don’t need that much more before we can compensate for a possible lack of creative threat elsewhere.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Didn't realise Field could play FB, thought a dead set HB and not an out of position winger, like last season ! His pace opens up defences and gives us more options. And his D for a small man was good, was able to speedily get into correct positioning and effect the defensive line in the 1st half. Be some attacking threat if Bevan French is able to return, especially when the grounds get harder.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:24 am

And a better coach.
Better coach?

I'll bite, he had a decent first half. Also Byrne went well in an all round stronger forward unit.
MoM one out of Field, KPP, Mago or Thornley.
I think all of those will start at HKR, Thornley was outstanding.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:59 am Unwise as it may be to place too much store by pre-season friendlies, nevertheless, with a largely kids team, there were promising signs against Newcastle, and I think it's fair to say that these were built on here, with a stronger first-half team. All the new recruits acquitted themselves well. There looked to be a togetherness in the squad which showed up in both defence and attack. As I remarked upthread, it looked like passes that were usually dropped last season started to stick. I don't think this starts to happen by chance.
We are moving in the right direction.