ins......and outs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
- psycho -

ins......and outs

Post by - psycho - »

now if you were the coach of wigan warriors who would you hyave in to the club (being realistic people) and who would you let go from the club?
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
Row A Exile

Re: ins......and outs

Post by Row A Exile »

In.
Willie Mason and Malcolm Alker
Out
Terry Newton (just because we've lost him for nearly half a season).
Willie for the fear factor and Alker as he has to be one of the most underated hookers in the league. :exc:
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Dave Allens gone as well, not confirmed, but probable as his game time next year is going to be almost non-existent. Colbon has rejected offers from 2 SL clubs to stay here.....Coyle hasn't so coyle could be going.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Been told both Coyles could be leaving :angry:

In: SBW or Joey
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

In-Kirk Yeaman of Hull fame and Marcel Garvey from Union
Out-let's give them all a chance eh?
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

DaiJones posted:
In-Kirk Yeaman of Hull fame

:eusa2:
At such a young age he WILL get even better! Totally in agreement with kirk, not heard of the other one though
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Have to admit that I am a little concerned with regards to squad building for next season.

I thought the signings we've made were to bulk up the paper thin squad we had to manage with this season.

If this is the case it would appear alarming that further players are being released from the squad but there aren't any further signings on the horizon.

Good choice with Kirk Yeaman though, I think he'd be great at centre for Wigan.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

100% Warrior posted:
Have to admit that I am a little concerned with regards to squad building for next season.

I thought the signings we've made were to bulk up the paper thin squad we had to manage with this season.

If this is the case it would appear alarming that further players are being released from the squad but there aren't any further signings on the horizon.
So far the only established first team players confirmed to have lefy are Wild & Carney, yet we have signed five established first team players.

If Aspinwall follows suit as widely predicted then we are still two up in terms of established players.

I don't see the point of holding onto sub-standard players just to make the numbers up. If we do then if a better player does become available we won'tbe able to accomodate them in the 20/20.

I am also just not going to get concerned about the ins and outs when we are talking U21 or U18 players.

We have had to play many of them this year and so some of their names have become more familiar than they would have in a normal season but only about three have nailed down a place in the first team squad for next year IMO. Hargreaves, Hansen and maybe Tomkins.

There are others such as Gleeson and Ashton who are hightly rated it seems but they are not ready for first team footy regularly but I also don't think they are off anywhere.

Players like Allen are (possibly) going to move on for no other reason than the salary cap and we can't keep all the players we develop.

I think we need ot get used to the idea of players leaving at the end of the season as new players come up from the lower levels to replace U18 and U21 players who can't command a first team contract but might get one elsewhere.

The club can't keep hold of young players just because they come form Wigan.

As to who wold I go for. I'd agree Yeoman or Lyon as I reckon we need a centre with Alker to replace Newton.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The 21's released are players who IMO would not make it at top SL level (does not mean they cannot enjoy professional careers) and were overtaken by the U18 players who have come through.I read that Liam Colbon wants to remain at Wigan but i have to say his Academy efforts recently have not been what I anticipated. He never stood out and looked ordinary.

I think what has happened is that the 18's need tougher rugby whilst they wait for chances and thus will play 21s whilst there is supposedly an exciting crop of U16's ready to come through and play 18's

Bit worried if TCoyle and possibly JCoyle go as TCoyle looks to have a little bit of special ability whilst losing them would leave not only the first team but the Academy Teams very very thin at halfback.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Forgot to add; worries me that youngsters here seem to stagnate whereas Aussies of the same age go on and on. Young Tim Smith was the beaten halfback for Australia in recent junior matches with GB yet he's now holding down a prime halfback spot for a top NRL club in Parra