Rugby league to finally make its appearance in New York

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Rugby league to finally make its appearance in New York

Post by josie andrews »

Back in 2019, New York Rugby League had ambitions to join the British rugby league system.

The ‘Big Apple’ side wanted to join the Challenge Cup competition in 2021 when the Ottawa Aces were expected to join League 1 and then the British leagues in 2022.

Of course, with the demise of the Toronto Wolfpack, that dream almost ended for the North of America.

But, now New York RL has instead joined the North American Rugby League competition alongside the likes of Atlanta Rhinos, Toronto and Washington D.C. Cavalry.

The club itself confirmed the move on its Instagram page: “It’s been building in the streets throughout the “5 Boroughs”. From the ferries that cross the Hudson to the hot dog vendors on 39th street to top of the lighthouses on Long Island, RUGBY LEAGUE is coming to New York. We started the journey in 2019, and we are proud to announce that NYRL will be a founding team in the @narugbyleague“.

Only five teams have so far committed to the 2022 NARL competition with Cleveland RLFC the last side to make up the list after the league was suspended for 2021 due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/rugby-le ... ork-47851/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Re: Rugby league to finally make its appearance in New York

Post by Barney841 »

Sorry but this is a complete waste of time and money.
An American team joining SL is ridiculous
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:39 am Sorry but this is a complete waste of time and money.
where does the article say that?

it talks about them having ambitions 3 years ago, but nothing about them joining and from what i can see it is purely an article about RL getting a foothold in North America and setting up a league, which can only be good for the game if it can take off and grow
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

the pieman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:11 pm
Barney841 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:39 am Sorry but this is a complete waste of time and money.
where does the article say that?

it talks about them having ambitions 3 years ago, but nothing about them joining and from what i can see it is purely an article about RL getting a foothold in North America and setting up a league, which can only be good for the game if it can take off and grow
Your right. I’ve miss read it. My bad
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:27 am Back in 2019, New York Rugby League had ambitions to join the British rugby league system.

The ‘Big Apple’ side wanted to join the Challenge Cup competition in 2021 when the Ottawa Aces were expected to join League 1 and then the British leagues in 2022.

Of course, with the demise of the Toronto Wolfpack, that dream almost ended for the North of America.

But, now New York RL has instead joined the North American Rugby League competition alongside the likes of Atlanta Rhinos, Toronto and Washington D.C. Cavalry.

The club itself confirmed the move on its Instagram page: “It’s been building in the streets throughout the “5 Boroughs”. From the ferries that cross the Hudson to the hot dog vendors on 39th street to top of the lighthouses on Long Island, RUGBY LEAGUE is coming to New York. We started the journey in 2019, and we are proud to announce that NYRL will be a founding team in the @narugbyleague“.

Only five teams have so far committed to the 2022 NARL competition with Cleveland RLFC the last side to make up the list after the league was suspended for 2021 due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Hooray - new home team (when I get to move back there...). I can finally start my NYC SL fans group (well, maybe after COVID dies down later this season). We should be able to take over a pub in the Lower East side for games. Shame the pandemic shut down Toronto and the other CA team, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:54 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:27 am Back in 2019, New York Rugby League had ambitions to join the British rugby league system.

Hooray - new home team (when I get to move back there...). I can finally start my NYC SL fans group (well, maybe after COVID dies down later this season). We should be able to take over a pub in the Lower East side for games. Shame the pandemic shut down Toronto and the other CA team, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
I thought this would please & excite you 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan