Rugby league legend Martin Offiah names Wigan as the greatest team in the history of the sport

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Rugby league legend Martin Offiah names Wigan as the greatest team in the history of the sport

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan legend Martin Offiah believes his former club is the greatest rugby league side of all-time.

The retired Great Britain winger returns to the town on March 30 for an event at the Old Courts, where he will be discussing his career and answering questions from the audience.

Offiah enjoyed many highlights during his time in cherry and white, and is looking forward to reminiscing about the past.

He said: “I’m really excited to be coming back to Wigan, because the place will always have a special place in my heart. I was only there for four-and-a-half years, but it seems so much longer because of all the success we had.

With it being Wigan’s 150th anniversary this year I thought it would be a great time to come back to do an event like this. It’s great to be back interacting with people, moments are created when you feel connected.

“The guys who took over the club in the 1980s, led by Maurice Lindsay, really transformed the path they were on and created that golden era. I think this year Wigan can lay claim to being the greatest rugby league team the world has ever seen.”

Offiah says he always enjoys visiting Wigan and takes the opportunity to show those closest to him how successful he was in rugby league.

I’m always back up, I always pop in to see Phil Clarke, or Gary Connolly, sometimes staying in his back room when I come to see games. Every season I try to come back, it’s always a pleasure to watch Wigan,” he added.

“I brought my sons up when I got inducted into the Hall of Fame. It’s always nice to share things with your children, who weren’t alive when I was playing. I’ve left my mark wherever I’ve been, with my picture in the boardroom and a statue at Wembley.

“It’s good to show them what daddy used to do before he told them to make their bed every day.

“Anyone who is a parent will know this, but to them I’m just dad, I haven’t got a clue what I am talking about and know very little about rugby.

It’s only when other people come up to me and ask questions, they look a bit in ore, thinking ‘you might’ve actually been half decent.’”

“I remember when I tried telling them I had scored 10 tries in a game, they wouldn’t believe me, and still wouldn’t if it wasn’t for YouTube.”

Offiah says it is an honour to be included in the rugby league statue at Wembley, which also includes Eric Ashton, Billy Boston, Alex Murphy and Gus Risman.

“It’s not a normal occurrence, every time I go to Wembley, I still need to pinch myself because I feel like it’s a dream and it’s not real.

Rugby league has been played at that venue since 1929 and I think the statue was originally meant to be just one person, but because of the Yorkshire Lancashire divide it was very hard for them to agree, so they needed five of us.

“The sport is very tribal and that’s what I like about it. I loved the passion of it, I thrived off the people who loved me, and I thrived off the people who hated me. I think I played in the best era for me.”

Despite his success in the sport, before switching codes and moving up North to play for Widnes in 1987, Offiah admits having little knowledge of rugby league.

“I had very little education and didn’t know a lot about it. I remember watching the Challenge Cup final when Wigan beat Halifax, so the possibility of moving to the sport was in the back of my mind and it was on my radar.

I signed for Widnes before I’d even been there, but initially I had said no because I was waiting for an England cap in union.

“When you think of what I’ve achieved in rugby league, there’s no guarantee I could’ve done half of that in union, so I’m thankful for what happened. MBE, statues, three hall of fames, and being the top try scoring Englishman of all time, I can’t say it didn’t work out.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rt-3556880
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: Rugby league legend Martin Offiah names Wigan as the greatest team in the history of the sport

Post by morley pie eater »

Great player...as he likes to remind us :lol:

On a personal level, I don't think he had the connection with the fans that Boston, Gregory or Hanley, for example, had . . . or maybe it's just me?

My 2 lads had a white rabbit which they named "Hendy"! I don't think they'd have thought of calling it "Martin"?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Re: Rugby league legend Martin Offiah names Wigan as the greatest team in the history of the sport

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:02 pm Great player...as he likes to remind us :lol:

On a personal level, I don't think he had the connection with the fans that Boston, Gregory or Hanley, for example, had . . . or maybe it's just me?

My 2 lads had a white rabbit which they named "Hendy"! I don't think they'd have thought of calling it "Martin"?
Haaha morley….. as a kid i had a hamster named henderson hamster……… i thought the fans favourite was dean bell…….. dean gave his alll and was every fans dream ov a 100% player
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I called my first car, and have called all subsequent cars and even bikes Denis, after young Denis Betts. The blond bombshell - my God, when he exploded on the scene he was a sight to behold.
HDS

Post by HDS »

I agree with Martin that Wigan is the greatest team, the trophy count and name world wide makes the statement valid for me.
I have watched Wigan since 1970 and Martin is the best winger I have seen playing for Wigan! In my own
personal best ever Wigan 13 Martin is my number 5 without hesitation didn't have to think twice .

it would annoy me when some would say he is just faster then everyone, there was much more to his game then just pace. Although Martin was not an aggressive player the foul play he had to endure from opponents
showed how tough he was . I always remember Alan Hunte and a few more trying to put him out of the game.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

HDS wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:28 am I agree with Martin that Wigan is the greatest team, the trophy count and name world wide makes the statement valid for me.
I have watched Wigan since 1970 and Martin is the best winger I have seen playing for Wigan! In my own
personal best ever Wigan 13 Martin is my number 5 without hesitation didn't have to think twice .

it would annoy me when some would say he is just faster then everyone, there was much more to his game then just pace. Although Martin was not an aggressive player the foul play he had to endure from opponents
showed how tough he was . I always remember Alan Hunte and a few more trying to put him out of the game.
Well there is no doubt that his greatest attribute was pace. He did, however, have a knack for spotting the opportunity. Of course he was blessed to have some of the best centres ever to pull a cherry and white jersey on his inside.

That being said, he was probably the best winger that I have seen.

I never saw Boston, and I know it's hard to compare different generations but I am willing to bet he wouldn't have been as successful in this era. He wouldn't be barging his way over 11 stone wingers.

I think it's fair to say Offiah WOULD still be scooting past 16 stone wingers.
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

First RL player I ever met as a young kid growing up in Wigan in the 90s. Always special to me. :)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Good article and an interesting read. Liked the bit about how his kids see him but how did a journalist ever manage to write “in ore” when it’s “in awe” and the editor not spot it? :roll:
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Someone's going to get a stony stare.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:24 pm
HDS wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:28 am I agree with Martin that Wigan is the greatest team, the trophy count and name world wide makes the statement valid for me.

Well there is no doubt that his greatest attribute was pace. He did, however, have a knack for spotting the opportunity. Of course he was blessed to have some of the best centres ever to pull a cherry and white jersey on his inside.

That being said, he was probably the best winger that I have seen.

I never saw Boston, and I know it's hard to compare different generations but I am willing to bet he wouldn't have been as successful in this era. He wouldn't be barging his way over 11 stone wingers.

I think it's fair to say Offiah WOULD still be scooting past 16 stone wingers.
I have been blessed to see both Boston and offiah. Play. Boston is and always will be my hero. offiah was poetry in motion you knew if there was the smallest of gaps he was through it and once in open space nothing and no one would catch him. Interestingly when asked about the best centre he ever played with he says it's Darren Wright at widnes.