Squad for Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Squad for Leeds

Post by jaws1 »

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/02/ ... r-leeds-2/
Matt Peet confirmed that Wigan came away with just one injury from the victory over Hull KR as Brad O’Neill is named in the 21-man squad in place of the injured Iain Thornley. The rest of Peet’s squad stays unchanged from the one named to travel to Hull KR in round one.
Wigan_ITK

Re: Squad for Leeds

Post by Wigan_ITK »

Hardaker in to replace Thornley so the big call will be the remaining bench spot.

Smith in case Tommy tires with the amount of defensive work he does and he looked like he was blowing towards end of last weeks match. He would certainly add a different dimension.

Or does he go with 4 forwards with Shorrocks or Partington getting the nod.

Thankfully it’s not a decision I have to make :lol:
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I think Peet was quoted as saying Hardaker on the wing. So backline will be:
1 - Field
2 - Marshall
3 - Bibby
4 - KPP
5 - Hardaker

I’d personally prefer Bibby on the wing and Hardaker at centre but I’m not the coach.

Has to be 4 forwards on the bench against Leeds. Cannot afford to have a bench spot used up by a back or half.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would leave out Powell, Partington, Miski and Smith, but we have another 10 years before Powell is droppable, so am pretty sure O’Neill will sit out again.

Leuluai remains limited as a passing 7, and Powell offers no threat, and so I would like to see Shorrocks having a good run as a play making 13. Reading a recent interview with him, that sounds like how he sees himself.

Leeds are dangerous, but if we reprise and build on last week’s effort we should be fine. Hoping for a good crowd, and that we entertain them, as we need to be winning back hearts and minds.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

16 places would seem pretty much nailed on with one spot up for grabs due to Thornley's injury. Considering we often struggle against Leeds due to a lack of size in the pack I think Singleton, Byrne, Mago and Ellis pretty much have to keep their places. Singleton was the only one who played poorly but he'll almost certainly keep his place.

I'd say Miski is the one that's definitely going to be left out but there are arguments for including any of the other options.

Partington would bring a solid defensive effort and is possibly the less inspiring, safety first option.

Shorrocks would bring ball playing ability in the middle of the field. He lacks size for head down carries but his defensive work rate is always outstanding. The weather looks like it might make expansive play unlikely but he can still provide some smart short passes or play off the shoulder of our bigger forwards.

Smith might seem like an outside bet as forwards might be favoured in poor conditions but he can provide a better long kicking game than Leuluai. In poor weather a halfback can make a big difference (as Matty Smith often did). I think Matty Peet will have been encouraged by Cust's kicking against Hull KR though.

O'Neill would seem unlikely to figure but if the conditions are poor then the opportunity to throw the ball around could be limited meaning the hookers could potentially have the most influence on the game. The last thing you want to do is let the tempo of the game slow so perhaps O'Neill could have something to offer. He's also strong defensively so shouldn't let the side down there. Plus according to the official website he's bigger than both Partington and Shorrocks.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Thought Tommy played well last week was happy to see that. I'm also happy to see him go 9 and Field go six when French is fit. Same team for me Shorrocks on bench can cover quite a few roles great work rate and his skill set is underated.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Go big on the be h for my money ey looks to a rough night maybe in store weather wise so bigger the better the 16 pick themselves after last week and frankly I'd keep Smith out of the firing line for now his turn will come
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Miski on the wing and Hardaker on the bench for me.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

EagleEyePie wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:55 pm 16 places would seem pretty much nailed on with one spot up for grabs due to Thornley's injury. Considering we often struggle against Leeds due to a lack of size in the pack I think Singleton, Byrne, Mago and Ellis pretty much have to keep their places. Singleton was the only one who played poorly but he'll almost certainly keep his place.

I'd say Miski is the one that's definitely going to be left out but there are arguments for including any of the other options.

Partington would bring a solid defensive effort and is possibly the less inspiring, safety first option.

Shorrocks would bring ball playing ability in the middle of the field. He lacks size for head down carries but his defensive work rate is always outstanding. The weather looks like it might make expansive play unlikely but he can still provide some smart short passes or play off the shoulder of our bigger forwards.

Smith might seem like an outside bet as forwards might be favoured in poor conditions but he can provide a better long kicking game than Leuluai. In poor weather a halfback can make a big difference (as Matty Smith often did). I think Matty Peet will have been encouraged by Cust's kicking against Hull KR though.

O'Neill would seem unlikely to figure but if the conditions are poor then the opportunity to throw the ball around could be limited meaning the hookers could potentially have the most influence on the game. The last thing you want to do is let the tempo of the game slow so perhaps O'Neill could have something to offer. He's also strong defensively so shouldn't let the side down there. Plus according to the official website he's bigger than both Partington and Shorrocks.
Good post, I was just thinking that the forecast storm would mean a big bench, I like the option of O'Neil for this one and keep Smith for a better day.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

No coach, especially a new one, is going to make wholesale changes after one game: Miski? Dream on!

The only question, barring training ground injuries, is who replaces Thornley.

I like the way Peet has eased Hardaker in. Bench last week, wing this. I suspect there's a message being sent.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐