Peet: Dug deep

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet: Dug deep

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet spoke to the press following Wigan’s 29-28 victory over Toulouse on Saturday night.

Peet: “There’s lots of lessons to learn from that performance but I think Toulouse were an outstanding team on the night.”

FT | Toulouse Olympique 28-29 Wigan Warriors.

Matt Peet admits that Wigan have ‘lessons to learn’ after a dramatic victory over Toulouse Olympique on Saturday night.

The Warriors raced to a 10-0 lead but found themselves 18-10 down at half time. An end to end second half saw the scores at 28-28 with 30 seconds to go, as Harry Smith stepped up to slot a drop goal and seal the win for Wigan.

Reflecting on the match, Peet said: “I thought we started excellently, attitude wise we were in the right place. It wasn’t one of those where you say we didn’t turn up, I think it was Toulouse who played themselves back into the game and credit to them for that.

“We’ve shown that we can get ourselves out of trouble when we need to with some big plays and good goal kicks, which got us the two points. There’s lots of lessons to learn from that performance but I think Toulouse were an outstanding team on the night.”

Smith’s late drop goal was the difference in the end, but Peet also credited Zak Hardaker’s kicking record on the night: “I was comfortable that if Harry got the shot he would take it, I liked the way he built the set and players got him into position to get the drop goal but that’s what Harry does and makes him a good player – he’s cool under pressure. Also. Zak’s goal kicking was such a big play, credit to Zak and credit to the work that Lee (Briers) has been doing with him on his kicking.”

Questioned on what he can take from the win, the Warriors boss said: “I think it’s important that we learn the lessons as we would normally and it’s certainly highlighted the areas we need to work on but I’d like to think that going forward once we build those leads we need to be more clinical, more ruthless in defence and attack and put games to bed earlier.”

Peet was also keen to praise the Warriors fans that made the trip to France: “It’s important to mention tonight, I thought our fans were unbelievable. The win was down to them really, if some of them hadn’t travelled over I’m not sure we’d have been able to dig as deep. The lads love to see that Cherry & White in the stands, they were over there celebrating with them after the game and I can’t thank them enough for the finance and time that has been dedicated to this trip.”

Next up for the Warriors, it’s another away outing in France as we take on Catalans Dragons on Saturday 12th March with tickets on sale HERE. We then return him for back-to-back games at home against Castleford Tigers and Hull FC. You can get tickets for our upcoming home fixtures HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/03/ ... -dug-deep/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan