sl VS nrl

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

Re: sl VS nrl

Post by ChrisA »

Overall the NRL is alot more competative the SL is, if you look at the botton sides in the NRL and look at our bottom sides namely Leigh and Widnes you can see a hugew gap in class, both Newcastle and Souths would walk all over our bottom two sides this year and would be challenging for the top 6. Also pie eaters refers to the world club challenge and says any of thwe 3 clibs left will beat Wests, maybe they will, but in Australia they swap clubs alot more than we do, and every year when the Aussie clubs have come over here the team has been very different from the one that would the NRL GF. Add to that if you took the foreign players out of our league and played purely British players we would completely hammered, that there shows how the NRL compares to SL.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

pie eaters posted:
i aint no wind up merchant they are good but i didnt hear many ppl raving about thwm. yeah u raved about marshall but u cant tell me they are much better than mcguire burrow. Yeah they are a little betetr but not much and to be a really good team you need excellent players around them . Look at leeds mathers, calderwood bai senior ellis lauititi diskin. Wests have only afew richards hodgson really around the half backs every one is just average made up of very hard workin players
If you picked a team from the combined squads of Wests and Leeds, it would be mostly Wests players.

Something like this...
Hodgson

Calderwood
Senior
Elford
Richards

Marshall
Prince

Bailey
Dunemann
Skandalis
Galea
Sinfield
Halatau
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Aussie players are just so much better schooled in the basics. What looks ordinary and average is devestating when you put them together as a team.

Wests have been fabulous for most of the year. With the cowboys they have largely revolutionised attacking play. To attack by looking at what you can see in front of you and playing it as you want is the ultimate form of attack. I can tell you that NO British club does that. They all work to pre-determined sets (Wigan included)
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

pie eaters posted:
i aint no wind up merchant
If you are not no wind up merchant that means you are a wind up merchant when you cancel out the double negative! hehe

I'm sure you're aware of this from reading previous posts but the Tigers won the NRL today! You don't do this by fluke.

Their forwards came up against the Australian test props in Ryles and Bailey and were victorious. Their half backs won them the games against some of the best the NRL has to offer. Their fullback has had a brilliant time of it too and Halatau hasn't half led by example. You can pull off a shock win but to win 10 out of your last 13 games and all play-off games on the trot requires a top side!
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

pie eaters posted:
GeoffN posted:
pie eaters posted:
i aint no wind up merchant they are good but i didnt hear many ppl raving about thwm. yeah u raved about marshall but u cant tell me they are much better than mcguire burrow. Yeah they are a little betetr but not much and to be a really good team you need excellent players around them . Look at leeds mathers, calderwood bai senior ellis lauititi diskin. Wests have only afew richards hodgson really around the half backs every one is just average made up of very hard workin players
If you picked a team from the combined squads of Wests and Leeds, it would be mostly Wests players.

Something like this...
Hodgson

Calderwood
Senior
Elford
Richards

Marshall
Prince

Bailey
Dunemann
Skandalis
Galea
Sinfield
Halatau
DISAGREE

Mathers cos he is younger and quicker

calderwood
ellis
senior
richards

prince
burrow

bailey
diskin
ward
skandalis is to old for my liking still very good though

lauititi
galea
sinfield
I know it seems like I'm picking on your every post, but you post that much its hard not to. Mathers ? rofl, we do share different oppinions.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Burrow over Marshall?

Mathers over Hogson?

Ellis over Elford?

No room for Halatau?

don't give up the day job! :wink:
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Pie Eaters? Does your choice of a scrum half at stand off not worry you?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Prince is pure class, Hodgson, ripped Queensland apart years ago when he played for Parra. He's done it for every club. I could go on but hey Pie Eaters your hurting my ribs :D
El Rifle

Post by El Rifle »

Watchin the tigers every week for last couple of months, I think to say the top Super League teams would win is madness. Generally i think they have better players but thats not the issue, its the style of play and the aggressiveness and hard hits that are put in. The game is so much faster and intense still, SL is catching up but still behind. Ali Lauititi comes across as a lazy bas**** in SL because he can be. He has amazing ability but its more about mentality