Super League referees to start erring on side of caution with yellow cards

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Super League referees to start erring on side of caution with yellow cards

Post by josie andrews »

A glut of yellow and red cards has dominated the start of the new Betfred Super League season but match officials chiefs and head coaches have met in positive talks to address the controversial issue

Referees will look to show more caution when brandishing cards after the RFL’s disciplinary chiefs met Super League head coaches for urgent talks about the state of the game.

The start to the new season has been dominated by the governing body’s crackdown on foul play with a vast swath of yellow and red cards in the opening six rounds. Although supporting the RFL’s bid to reduce injuries and clean up the sport, coaches and players alike have felt they have gone too far with many fans also becoming increasingly disillusioned.

What may before have warranted a penalty has now, in 2022, often seen sin-binnings or even dismissals. Coaches have become increasingly vocal about how the heavy-handed use of cards is ruining the spectacle of the sport. However, they held positive talks with RFL’s match review panel chief Paul Cullen, head of match officials Steve Ganson and director of operations and legal Robert Hicks for over an hour on Wednesday to discuss the hot topic.

The Daily Mirror understands that, especially after Mahe Fonua’s farcical yellow card for Castleford last Thursday, all parties agreed it is crucial for the sport’s image that more games, if at all possible, see 13 v 13. Although coaches have been reminded of the need for continued work on players’ tackle technique, from hereon in, some downgrading on on-field offences will come into play.

For example, if referees feel a foul could warrant a yellow card or a penalty, they will err on the side of caution and award a penalty. Likewise, where there is doubt between red and yellow, officials will be encouraged to show yellow in a bid to dampen the furore.

It is understood there was plenty of common ground met during the meeting as both parties sought to find a positive way forward and it was noted that many players have already adjusted to the changes made in the off-season.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... g-26549811
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan Watcher

Re: Super League referees to start erring on side of caution with yellow cards

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Yet again the powers that be have made a major misjudgment to bring such stringent rules in that has ruined our game at the beginning of the season.

Now I'm guessing players will not know where they stand for the next few weeks regarding referees decision making.

I hope that the lady who seemed to high in authority I saw being interview on sky by Carney and McDermott now stands down. She clearly after watching her self righteous mentality is not the person for our game and clearly does not understand it

archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Enforcing the laws of the game, one step forward. Move back to indecisive indecision two steps back to Thugby! Players must recognise their wellbeing comes lower down the pecking order than the"macho" image wanted by some fans and most coaches. Lip service and Micky Mouse Spring to mind!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

This happens at the start of each season.

Refs focus on something, do it too much, then reign it in.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

archiekeith wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:25 am Enforcing the laws of the game, one step forward. Move back to indecisive indecision two steps back to Thugby! Players must recognise their wellbeing comes lower down the pecking order than the"macho" image wanted by some fans and most coaches. Lip service and Micky Mouse Spring to mind!
You should watch tag rugby.

You’re obsessed with mentioning “thugby”.

Not every high shot is intentional or wreckless and it therefore shouldn’t be treated that way.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Jeez, calm down, everyone! Talk of 'thugby' and 'tag rugby' are equally daft. The directives are fundamentally correct. All that's needed is a little fine-tuning; the yellow for Fonua is an obvious example.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:55 am
archiekeith wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:25 am Enforcing the laws of the game, one step forward. Move back to indecisive indecision two steps back to Thugby! Players must recognise their wellbeing comes lower down the pecking order than the"macho" image wanted by some fans and most coaches. Lip service and Micky Mouse Spring to mind!
You should watch tag rugby.

You’re obsessed with mentioning “thugby”.

Not every high shot is intentional or wreckless and it therefore shouldn’t be treated that way.
Unfortunately tackles are not defined in the laws of the game The only definition I've come across is when a. Tackle is completed

No I don't want to watch tag rugby I want to see a robust game of RLhas constituted in the rules of the game Seeing the rules constitute RL I'm not playing RL if I'm not i.e If I don't follow the rules of chess for example I'm not playing chess. If every "high shot" isn't reckless or intentional then it's................what? Fill in your own adjective. Similarly with "thugby "if the word in anyway upsets you. I'm not obsessed about it at all
I think I've had my pennies worth and made my opinions clearIf you disagree that's OK with me. It's your opinion not mine

d
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think there is more than can be done to help

i did think on the late hit one, what if you said "if a player takes two steps after the ball is released either through kick or pass and makes heavy contact then its a sinbin/ban whatever"

you cant expect a 18st guy travelling at full speed to instantly change their body direction but i feel if you take 2 steps youve had chance to pull out of that one
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

This statement seems at odds to the insurance thread. Either the RFL are taking measures to reduce player head impacts, or they aren't. Which one is it?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Didn’t they do a study in American football and found the major problem isn’t a trauma head impact I.e contact to the outer skull - but more the effect of the the brain smacking the inside of the skull due to deceleration which you can’t really stop

I know they we’re looking at it as they obviously wear helmets but we’re still encountering health issues
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure